People are selling Cooney low | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

People are selling Cooney low

I think threads get locked because some people beat a dead horse...

Maybe the team would have been better at assists and not rated so lowly in the conference if Cooney was better at assisting on baskets.

Micro vision

Cooney is a good player but for the life of me I don't understand his move when he puts the ball low like he's going to drive and all it seems to achieve is give the player time to cover him. It has no next move purpose.
Cooney on offense is predictable. Catch and shoot, or a ball fake immediately followed by a pass back to Ennis. A dribble, drive, or pass to a big is a rarity. His D kept him on the court, but Silent G is also good on D. Cooney has more upside scoring, but all those long rebounds off his misses handicap the team.

Cooney on offense is predictable. Catch and shoot, or a ball fake immediately followed by a pass back to Ennis. A dribble, drive, or pass to a big is a rarity. His D kept him on the court, but Silent G is also good on D. Cooney has more upside scoring, but all those long rebounds off his misses handicap the team.
Pass to a big is a rarity for most of our team, when he's playing well, he carries the team and improved so much in one year

All people are basically asking is for a guard who has been in the program for three years to hit a couple of jumpshots, against an A10 team. That's it. If that's bashing we should root for grade school teams.
700 minute increase from last season, he was fantastic for the first half of this year and had improved so much

Don't confuse criticism for personally insulting. Saying that my casting form isn't as good as it needs to be isn't an insult. Saying that I'm jerk is.

I understand that.

I'm already bankrupt because of Cooney. I sold when he was at an all time low last year, then bought when he was at his all time high earlier this year. I have no money. Too volatile for my taste.

Why does everyone want so badly for him to be something that he's not? Reality works better than wishful thinking...he needs to come off the bench and when he misses a couple get him out of there.

Sean Kilpatrick, Russ Smith, among others...did you look at the game logs or just decided to answer with your emotions.

Also, again keep the strawmen in check, I never said lackluster play. In fact, I said the opposite. But stuff like "Cooney was the #1 SG in America for half of the season" is why we can't have honest debate in here about him.

First off, I said ARGUABLY. You are arguing it, that is fine. Second, let's talk about emotions, what strawman are you talking about? I fully admit that Cooney was lackluster in the second half of the season and you attribute even that as some sort of plot to upset you? Look if you don't like Cooney that is fine. If you expected a combo Russ Smith and TJ Warren (but only their best performances) to walk out of the tunnel 34 times this year with a Cuse #10 jersey on then you are never going to be pleased so why bother?

It cracks me up though that you people with an anti-Cooney agenda are so frothing at the mouth with hatred for the kid because he didn't live up to your insane expectations can't even admit that he was a stellar SG for the first half of the season. He was absolutely the difference between us being ranked #1 and us being a 21-13 type team. There is no denying that, it is fact. Your emotions are getting the better of you because you think somehow that Cooney owed you better and now your little feelings are hurt because the team got knocked out early.

Yes. having a few players who can put the freaking thing in the basket would certainly help the assist factor, LOL! Regarding Triche, I don't think it's really a fair comparison (no crap to you, stu). He was a 4th year player who had seen considerable floor time prior to his senior year (never less than 20 mpg in any year), and he knew how and when to create offense. And given his size and strength, he could penetrate to either score or dish. Moreover he had a gifted MCW to play with alongside last year. For Cooney however, this year was effectively his baptism. I wonder if he knows yet that he's almost as big as Triche. I suspect he'll come to that realization during this interval when he looks for things he can do better. Add to that he'll have Ennis to play next to, with the benefit of a year's play each between them, which will improve things. For as nice a player as TE is, he was still a freshman finding his way, and his sometimes tentative play exposed that. Having that combination to drive the offense next year should be a huge uptick. Just IMHO.

I agree that the makeup of this team played a major role in our assist totals and Triche's numbers last season were boosted somewhat by having four years of experience as a starter and playing alongside MCW. But I disagree with some of your explanations for Cooney's low assists totals. In my opinion, the reason he had fewer assists than any other Syracuse starting guards is he isn't looking to do it.

Brandon Triche had 99 assists as a freshman when he was inexperienced and playing alongside sophomore point guard Scoop Jardine. I realize that we had a much stronger lineup that year but Brandon always put up similar assist totals. Greg Monroe didn't play a lot his freshman season behind Gene Waldron but he was able to dish out 71 assists in very limited action. Our 2007-08 team had plenty of flaws and ended up going to the NIT but Eric Devendorf had more assists in the ten games he played before being injured than Cooney did this season.

Trevor has been here for three years but I will except your premise that this was in effect his baptism. Michael Gbinije came into this season with even less college experience and he played almost eighteen fewer minutes a game than Cooney but he was able to find ways to get the ball to his teammates for baskets.

I realize that this was a very poor passing team with many flaws on the offensive end but you can't use this as an excuse for Cooney's miniscule assist numbers. Gbinije was on the court far less than Trevor but he dished out more assists. If you look at the numbers by their minutes played, Michael averaged almost two more assists for every forty minutes of action.

This team really struggled to score but one of the jobs of guards in the half court offense is to create things for their teammates. I can live with Trevor's perimeter shooting this season but I have a much harder time accepting these assists totals from a starting guard.

I agree that the makeup of this team played a major role in our assist totals and Triche's numbers last season were boosted somewhat by having four years of experience as a starter and playing alongside MCW. But I disagree with some of your explanations for Cooney's low assists totals. In my opinion, the reason he had fewer assists than any other Syracuse starting guards is he isn't looking to do it.

Brandon Triche had 99 assists as a freshman when he was inexperienced and playing alongside sophomore point guard Scoop Jardine. I realize that we had a much stronger lineup that year but Brandon always put up similar assist totals. Greg Monroe didn't play a lot his freshman season behind Gene Waldron but he was able to dish out 71 assists in very limited action. Our 2007-08 team had plenty of flaws and ended up going to the NIT but Eric Devendorf had more assists in the ten games he played before being injured than Cooney did this season.

Trevor has been here for three years but I will except your premise that this was in effect his baptism. Michael Gbinije came into this season with even less college experience and he played almost eighteen fewer minutes a game than Cooney but he was able to find ways to get the ball to his teammates for baskets.

I realize that this was a very poor passing team with many flaws on the offensive end but you can't use this as an excuse for Cooney's miniscule assist numbers. Gbinije was on the court far less than Trevor but he dished out more assists. If you look at the numbers by their minutes played, Michael averaged almost two more assists for every forty minutes of action.

This team really struggled to score but one of the jobs of guards in the half court offense is to create things for their teammates. I can live with Trevor's perimeter shooting this season but I have a much harder time accepting these assists totals from a starting guard.
Silent G was also playing point guard...TC wasn't.

First off, I said ARGUABLY. You are arguing it, that is fine. Second, let's talk about emotions, what strawman are you talking about? I fully admit that Cooney was lackluster in the second half of the season and you attribute even that as some sort of plot to upset you? Look if you don't like Cooney that is fine. If you expected a combo Russ Smith and TJ Warren (but only their best performances) to walk out of the tunnel 34 times this year with a Cuse #10 jersey on then you are never going to be pleased so why bother?

It cracks me up though that you people with an anti-Cooney agenda are so frothing at the mouth with hatred for the kid because he didn't live up to your insane expectations can't even admit that he was a stellar SG for the first half of the season. He was absolutely the difference between us being ranked #1 and us being a 21-13 type team. There is no denying that, it is fact. Your emotions are getting the better of you because you think somehow that Cooney owed you better and now your little feelings are hurt because the team got knocked out early.

That second paragraph is way over the top. People are bummed our starting 2 guard couldn't put the ball in the basket too many times this year, including against a mid-major in what was basically a home game to go to what would be a very winnable Sweet 16 game. There is no agenda. People want shooters to score. That's it.

domestu said:
I agree that the makeup of this team played a major role in our assist totals and Triche's numbers last season were boosted somewhat by having four years of experience as a starter and playing alongside MCW. But I disagree with some of your explanations for Cooney's low assists totals. In my opinion, the reason he had fewer assists than any other Syracuse starting guards is he isn't looking to do it. Brandon Triche had 99 assists as a freshman when he was inexperienced and playing alongside sophomore point guard Scoop Jardine. I realize that we had a much stronger lineup that year but Brandon always put up similar assist totals. Greg Monroe didn't play a lot his freshman season behind Gene Waldron but he was able to dish out 71 assists in very limited action. Our 2007-08 team had plenty of flaws and ended up going to the NIT but Eric Devendorf had more assists in the ten games he played before being injured than Cooney did this season. Trevor has been here for three years but I will except your premise that this was in effect his baptism. Michael Gbinije came into this season with even less college experience and he played almost eighteen fewer minutes a game than Cooney but he was able to find ways to get the ball to his teammates for baskets. I realize that this was a very poor passing team with many flaws on the offensive end but you can't use this as an excuse for Cooney's miniscule assist numbers. Gbinije was on the court far less than Trevor but he dished out more assists. If you look at the numbers by their minutes played, Michael averaged almost two more assists for every forty minutes of action. This team really struggled to score but one of the jobs of guards in the half court offense is to create things for their teammates. I can live with Trevor's perimeter shooting this season but I have a much harder time accepting these assists totals from a starting guard.

Triche isn't a fair comparison to anyone as a 2g. He was a PG playing 2G. He played a lot at PG including the freshman year you mention where he started at PG and most of his mins came there. The assist numbers aren't acceptable but the whole team stunk in getting assists and we were 13tg in the ACC for baskets assisted on. We were an ISO team and didn't run at all. Cooney specifically had a role, that was different than any 2g we've ever had.

Look, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of room for improvement and we very well may of over achieved this year. I just think it's a bit naive to blame all our troubles on Trevor Cooney...people who do that are taking the easy way out...

Or showing their limited basketball acumen.

Bayside44 said:
That second paragraph is way over the top. People are bummed our starting 2 guard couldn't put the ball in the basket too many times this year, including against a mid-major in what was basically a home game to go to what would be a very winnable Sweet 16 game. There is no agenda. People want shooters to score. That's it.

I'm pretty bummed our team made exactly 1 jumper outside the paint against a mid major . And that was by our PF.

I'm sorry, was Cooney's role on the team to distribute or shoot? Seems

All people are basically asking is for a guard who has been in the program for three years to hit a couple of jumpshots, against an A10 team. That's it. If that's bashing we should root for grade school teams.

Was anybody else hitting shots? I don't understand why all the focus is on Cooney when there was plenty of blame to go around. The whole team couldn't make a bucket.

I'm pretty bummed our team made exactly 1 jumper outside the paint against a mid major . And that was by our PF.

And yet somehow the driving lanes weren't open.

Was anybody else hitting shots? I don't understand why all the focus is on Cooney when there was plenty of blame to go around. The whole team couldn't make a bucket.

A starting 2 guard at Syracuse has to hit a few jumpers in every game, just has to. Third year in the program, and people are saying our kids are too tired. Fair played lousy and ran into double and trip teams, and at least he had 14 points.

And yet somehow the driving lanes weren't open.

Shows how bad the team shot. 3-2 the ball needs to move.

A starting 2 guard at Syracuse has to hit a few jumpers in every game, just has to. Third year in the program, and people are saying our kids are too tired. Fair played lousy and ran into double and trip teams, and at least he had 14 points.

If you're double and tripled teamed and a defender is out at the 3 point line means there are 1-2 players not defended. Have to move to open spits or cut to the basket and the man doubled pass out of it.

This is a really dangerous statement to make I guess, but the last 9 games of the season Cooney's shooting percentages were all slightly below how he shot on average as a freshman. That's not any kind of bold declaration. Those are the numbers.

Pre-season, if somebody asked you how you think we'd do if Cooney's shooting percentages were worse in the upcoming season than they were when he was a freshman, how confident would you have felt about us winning games? That's basically what happened over the last 9 games.

Again, those are the numbers. The numbers.

Numbers. It's math.

If you're double and tripled teamed and a defender is out at the 3 point line means there are 1-2 players not defended. Have to move to open spits or cut to the basket and the man doubled pass out of it.

I have no idea what you're saying. He's a starting 2 guard at SU. A starting 2 guard at SU should be able to hit a couple of jumpers against an A-10 team. No one is asking for GMAC. These excuses are twisting posts into knots.

Bottom line, we're rooting for brackets and not SU. We lost to frigging Dayton and the excuses are a mile high.

I have no idea what you're saying. He's a starting 2 guard at SU. A starting 2 guard at SU should be able to hit a couple of jumpers against an A-10 team. No one is asking for GMAC. These excuses are twisting posts into knots.

Bottom line, we're rooting for brackets and not SU. We lost to frigging Dayton and the excuses are a mile high.
bees is pretending like we're complaining about cooney missing shots when he's triple teamed as if that happened

edit - misread bees, never mind

Last edited:
This is a really dangerous statement to make I guess, but the last 9 games of the season Cooney's shooting percentages were all slightly below how he shot on average as a freshman. That's not any kind of bold declaration. Those are the numbers.

Pre-season, if somebody asked you how you think we'd do if Cooney's shooting percentages were worse in the upcoming season than they were when he was a freshman, how confident would you have felt about us winning games? That's basically what happened over the last 9 games.

Again, those are the numbers. The numbers.

Numbers. It's math.
say numbers a few more times