People are selling Cooney low | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

People are selling Cooney low

I have no idea what you're saying. He's a starting 2 guard at SU. A starting 2 guard at SU should be able to hit a couple of jumpers against an A-10 team. No one is asking for GMAC. These excuses are twisting posts into knots.

Bottom line, we're rooting for brackets and not SU. We lost to frigging Dayton and the excuses are a mile high.

I was responding to your comment that Fair was double and triple teamed but at least he scored 14. You are correct, as soon as he got the ball he was often doubled. That means 3 defenders were covering he and Cooney. Left us with 3 guys and 2 defenders. Need to pass out of that because again you are right, our starting 2g needs to be better than 1-6. But our AA needs to be better than 4-14 and out stud PG needs to be better than 7-23. It was a total team failure. One made shot from outside the paint? That's ridic and isn't on the shoulders of just one player. Unless you're saying Fair, Ennis and G aren't expected to hit any jumpers. Cooney missed 4 (tho he was fouled on one), the rest of the team missed 15-20. Bad all around and blame can't go on just one. People are looking for a fall guy.

Should TC have played better and hit open shots more often? Sure. Does he get some of the blame for the loss? Absolutely. However, I don't buy into fatigue. Everybody plays the same basic schedule and number of games so everybody should be in the same boat. Cooney has a lot to develop in his game and I would hope he does that in the off season. Namely, a dribble drive stop and pop and step back moves. His leaping ability would prevent those mid range shots from being blocked and would also open up some opportunities for assists. I believe he would be exponentially better offensively if he worked on this aspect of his game. Having a defender respect your ability to put the ball on the floor and score gives you a little more room on the outside as well. JMHO

I was responding to your comment that Fair was double and triple teamed but at least he scored 14. You are correct, as soon as he got the ball he was often doubled. That means 3 defenders were covering he and Cooney. Left us with 3 guys and 2 defenders. Need to pass out of that because again you are right, our starting 2g needs to be better than 1-6. But our AA needs to be better than 4-14 and out stud PG needs to be better than 7-23. It was a total team failure. One made shot from outside the paint? That's ridic and isn't on the shoulders of just one player. Unless you're saying Fair, Ennis and G aren't expected to hit any jumpers. Cooney missed 4 (tho he was fouled on one), the rest of the team missed 15-20. Bad all around and blame can't go on just one. People are looking for a fall guy.

Ennis only needed to hit one...but at least he (until the end) took it to the hole. The kid isn't a scorer first. G at least drove it also.

The threads are about Cooney, I am just posting reasonable expectations for a starting 2 guard at SU. A starting shooting guard's #1 job is to be just that before anyone else.

Again, Dayton / rooting for brackets.

A starting 2 guard at Syracuse has to hit a few jumpers in every game, just has to. Third year in the program, and people are saying our kids are too tired. Fair played lousy and ran into double and trip teams, and at least he had 14 points.

Grant was a complete no show as well- I'm looking for the thread trashing him but I can't seem to find one. Maybe I should start one up? Plenty of blame to go around for the Dayton fiasco, although I agree Cooney laid an egg but he was hardly alone. Seems like this kid is the whipping boy for fans, and that's a shame.

Grant was a complete no show as well- I'm looking for the thread trashing him but I can't seem to find one. Maybe I should start one up? Plenty of blame to go around for the Dayton fiasco, although I agree Cooney laid an egg but he was hardly alone. Seems like this kid is the whipping boy for fans, and that's a shame.

My posts were about Cooney's performance over a long period, not just the Dayton contest. He made 22% of his 3-point shots and only dished out three assists in our last nine games. You just can't beat a lot of teams with performances like that from your shooting guard.

All of the Syracuse starters played poorly last Saturday. Some of the numbers are stunning. One basket from outside of the paint and four assists.

Here's what happened. Dayton took away the things the SU guys like to do offensively and the offense could not adapt. Since the other 4 couldn't adapt Cooney could not get open vs the box and 1. Ironically...if Ennis hits that shot at the end we live by the skin of our teeth yet again and move to the next week hoping the offense can turn it around.