People begged JB to switch the starters. He did. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

People begged JB to switch the starters. He did.

Groundhog Day.

It didn't work. We lost by 15, and it felt like 22. The team never played with less energy.

Instead of having a boost at the 4 minute mark, things got worse.
It did though. The better and more productive player played more. We would’ve lost by more otherwise.

How about that?

It did though. The better and more productive player played more. We would’ve lost by more otherwise.

How about that?
And there it is, the unprovable unprovable.

LOL. You don't know this.

It’s really too bad. He had multiple chances to go out on a “high”.

He’s stayed WAY too long, and now the program sucks, the attendance is the worst I’ve ever seen it, and pretty much everyone is frustrated and can’t wait for him to leave. Sad ending, that didn’t have to happen.

Reminds me of Bobby Bowden. But I looked at his record and wasn’t as bad as I thought.

And there it is, the unprovable unprovable.

LOL. You don't know this.
Based on their average stats….I’m pretty sure I do.

The numbers are the numbers. Brown’s are better and he was productive.

Groundhog Day.

It didn't work. We lost by 15, and it felt like 22. The team never played with less energy.

Instead of having a boost at the 4 minute mark, things got worse.
What is your point exactly? Brown shouldn’t start anymore?

What is your point exactly? Brown shouldn’t start anymore?
The title and 1st sentence of the original post make the point clear.

People clamored for this change. It happened. It did not help.

I hope he continues to play his 28-32ish minutes a game. I hope the team wins next time. I do not care if he starts or not. What matters is the minutes played, not who starts.

Last edited:

And your suggestion now is to do what exactly?

Mintz started at PG over our best passer Ajak at PG and we lost, so starting Mintz didn’t help.

And your suggestion now is to do what exactly?

To stop telling Boeheim who should start.

Seriously though, I vented during halftime of this atrocious game, and a small group here invents an argument that I want Maliq to play less or something.

This is a helluva hill that you’ve chosen to die on. I got nothing else. Have a good one.

Rule of thumb: when you and the other guy are just repeating the same statement over and over again, it's time to move one. He's not going to "get it".

Rule of thumb: when you and the other guy are just repeating the same statement over and over again, it's time to move one. He's not going to "get it".
Agreed….but I’m watching the second boring football game in a row and am morbidly curious at how long this can go.

WE WOULDVE LOST BY 46 POINTS IF BROWN DIDNT START! THAT MOVE SINGLEHANDIDLY KEPT US IN THE GAME! PROVE ME WRONG!!! YOU CANT!! BOOO-YEAH!!

I
To stop telling Boeheim who should start.

Seriously though, I vented during halftime of this atrocious game, and a small group here invents an argument that I want Maliq to play less or something.
i mean, this is a discussion board and discussing who starts is, like, the most sportsy sports discussion that exists.

What a weird thread.

I've said it before. To my eyes, if 4 guys don't play well for us, we don't win.

Against the Hokies, Mintz, Brown and Taylor all had pretty good games. That's 3 guys.

Joe, Jesse, Benny and Chris all came up pretty empty. You need one or two of them to play decent, and none of them really did.

Changing line ups had a negative impact on the team chemistry tonight.

Well, Benny and Chris have played good games just a few games ago. Sitting them down sends a message. Maliq Brown and Justin Taylor were not the primary problem against Va. Tech. They both did way more than Benny and Chris were showing last night. I won't kill Chris, because he had a good game just a couple games ago. You have to go with the hot hand at forward.

One game of any player’s stats doesn’t prove or disprove anything.

Bell had 20-something in one game. Doesn’t mean he’s Jordan. Taylor had 27. Doesn’t make him Melo. Brown started one game. And we got trounced. Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have started previously. These are freshman and they’re going to be up and down.

Objectively, Maliq Brown had a pretty good game. He was 5-6 from the floor. I think he had 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocked shots and a steal or two. A freshman in a 4 man rotation producing those numbers is a very solid game. He's not a 3 point shooter who is going to go off for 20 once in a while. He's a lunchpail player. And he brought the goods. He wasn't the reason we lost.

I can't wait until Red or GMac take over because that will finally put a timeframe of how long we will continue to see zone at Syracuse. Which ever one is hired will have about 3 years before they get fired and then finally we can move on from the zone.

The zone has ZERO place in modern basketball. It is out dated just like our program.

The zone can be a very effective tool - even in today's basketball environment of more quality outside shooters on nearly every team. But only as part of a tool chest.

I like when teams apply a zone press, then fall back into a zone. If a player is getting hot, or you feel like players aren't closing out, then switch to man, so everyone is responsible for guarding someone. Make them accountable.

Then you can switch back to the zone, if someone is taking advantage of another guy one-on-one. It's all about match-ups, momentum and who's hot. What's working for the other team? Switch up the defense to take that away.

You should also have two zones - the 2-3 and the 1-3-1. One gives the foul line and takes away the 3 point line. The other takes away the foul line entry pass, but opens up for the corner jump shooter.

Agreed….but I’m watching the second boring football game in a row and am morbidly curious at how long this can go.

WE WOULDVE LOST BY 46 POINTS IF BROWN DIDNT START! THAT MOVE SINGLEHANDIDLY KEPT US IN THE GAME! PROVE ME WRONG!!! YOU CANT!! BOOO-YEAH!!
The 4 of you are being weird about this.

Over and out.

I've said it before. To my eyes, if 4 guys don't play well for us, we don't win.

Against the Hokies, Mintz, Brown and Taylor all had pretty good games. That's 3 guys.

Joe, Jesse, Benny and Chris all came up pretty empty. You need one or two of them to play decent, and none of them really did.
Always like to see a couple guys near the twenties, and a couple guys in the low teens, and at least 3 at or above 6 points.

Looking at SU's conference averages compared to the VT game,

Scoring (-11)
  1. 12 below average (Joe)
  2. 6 above average (Mintz)
  3. 4 below average (Jesse)
  4. 5 above average (Brown)
  5. 6 below average (Bell)
  6. 6 above average (Taylor)
  7. 5 below average (Benny)
  8. 3 below average (Qadir)
  9. 5 above average (Symir)
  10. At average (Bol)
Rebounding (-8)
  1. 4 below average (Jesse)
  2. At average (Brown)
  3. At average (Mintz)
  4. 3 below average (Joe)
  5. 2 below average (Qadir)
  6. 1 above average (Hima)
  7. At average (Taylor)
  8. 2 below average (Bell)
  9. 4 above average (Symir)
  10. At average (Bol)
Looking quickly at the same for VT, They were well above avg in these categories. Most players played to their average, but 2 doubled their scoring and rebounding outputs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom