People expect us to be different | Syracusefan.com

People expect us to be different

upperdeck

Living Legend
backup Qb and we struggle.. FSU the same.. BC the same, Clemson the same,. WV today the same, Mich the same. Seldom do teams survive when the clear #1 goes down..

we have the same depth everyone else has. but the ones playing all look hurt to tome. We are getting decent line play today just awful angles on every big play it seems.

No Black. No Pickard. No Cordy. No Martin.

How many projected #1's or #2's aren't playing today?

We have no depth.

Not only that, it's year 2 for Babers, for a program that has been between atrocious and mediocre since 2001.

Also, there are maybe two guys on Defense that will see an NFL contract.

We are playing a QB who was a walk on.

To create a legitimate top 25 program takes time. People need to stop worrying about stomping out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire.

We have no depth.

Martin is huge, cordy gets killed in coverage, and pickard was never a contributor. I will give you 1/4, bc we played some really good D add Martin against Clemson, Miami, FSU.

we go 4 deep at LB, thats pretty normal.. we do not go 10 deep at DB thats pretty normal. we have 4-5 solid Dline guys and 2-3 others we play. We are short 2 but dline is not the issue. alabama is worried about depth because they lost 2-3 starters. I am sure those backups would probably be starting here.

Not only that, it's year 2 for Babers, for a program that has been between atrocious and mediocre since 2001.

Also, there are maybe two guys on Defense that will see an NFL contract.

We are playing a QB who was a walk on.

To create a legitimate top 25 program takes time. People need to stop worrying about stomping out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire.

We were more than mediocre with Marrone in the limited time he was here. His first year he had 2-3 months to recruit and most of it during a dead period. What he accomplished with far less talent was pretty impressive

We were more than mediocre with Marrone in the limited time he was here. His first year he had 2-3 months to recruit and most of it during a dead period. What he accomplished with far less talent was pretty impressive

We were not better than mediocre. We were still playing the big east.

Those years seem amazing because of how bad we've beeen for a generation.

He was never getting us back to a top 25 status because he never would have landed the necessary recruits.

Give Babers time.

We were not better than mediocre. We were still playing the big east.

Those years seem amazing because of how bad we've beeen for a generation.

He was never getting us back to a top 25 status because he never would have landed the necessary recruits.

Give Babers time.

You said atrocious to mediocre. What I said was correct. What Marrone did with 0-2 star talent was impressive. Some of our losses this year would have been to mid-tier big east teams. The top end in the ACC is far superior but the teams in the BE before we left were holding their own in OCC games.

Doug Marrone played 7 Big East opponents in conference play.
We play in the ACC Atlantic now.

Our depth is a problem.

Most of the complaints are our terrible defense which has nothing to do with QB.

That's actually not true. Our offense is inept without Dungey. The offense cannot sustain long drives, goes 3 and out and/or turns it overs which means our D has little time to rest. I think Dungey being out has alot to do with the fall of our D over the past 2 weeks.

That's actually not true. Our offense is inept without Dungey. The offense cannot sustain long drives, goes 3 and out and/or turns it overs which means our D has little time to rest. I think Dungey being out has alot to do with the fall of our D over the past 2 weeks.

Agree 100%, that and the injuries in the defensive backfield. The only reason we were Able to compete with FSU is because there qb got hurt, we stink without Dungey, nothing earth shattering there.

Shut it down in 2nd half run the ball and maybe we get lucky next Saturday and get 5 wins

Culpeppers throwing motion is horrible. I don’t remember it that bad the first game of year. Wow

Do the backups practice? These backups on defense just don't know what they're doing

Agree 100%, that and the injuries in the defensive backfield. The only reason we were Able to compete with FSU is because there qb got hurt, we stink without Dungey, nothing earth shattering there.

Shut it down in 2nd half run the ball and maybe we get lucky next Saturday and get 5 wins

Culpeppers throwing motion is horrible. I don’t remember it that bad the first game of year. Wow
.I havent seen anyone come up with such a dopey way to throw since Chad Curtis used to fall on his face on purpose

it is really the acc offices fault as they did us no favors with how the schedule was lined up, hopefully it goes our way next year

I liked the color commentator's description of Culpepper's throws: he "grunts" the ball out of his body.

Doug Marrone played 7 Big East opponents in conference play.
We play in the ACC Atlantic now.

Our depth is a problem.

I'll repeat what I already wrote:

"Some of our losses this year would have been to mid-tier big east teams. The top end in the ACC is far superior but the teams in the BE before we left were holding their own in OCC games." Marrone won games with far less talent, based on what I've read about our talent and all the offensive records we are breaking until the last two games. So proportionally, the ACC argument is a cop out to some degree.

But I agree with you, depth is a problem. These guys are getting beat up because we are playing tougher overall opponents despite the fact our star ranking as a team is significantly higher than previous year teams.

Last edited:
Shafer went to a bowl game our first year in the ACC with Marrone’s so called BE recruits. Let that marinate a little.

We have no depth.
Dino himself didn't see this coming though. Prior to the WF game he stated that would be the first time in 3 games that the talent of the other team's WR's would come back to us instead of being way past us and expected our secondary to look better than it did against FSU and Miami.