Per Donna about Tyus | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Per Donna about Tyus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Nova and UNC players were projected first rounders?

Tony Bradley just "blindsided" UNC last year?

Did DJ Wilson blindside Michigan last year?

Again there's no context. We can see this happen everywhere, check the players in the early entry thread...yet some here think it only happens here. It's just not true

UNC and NOVA get their players to come back with more regularity than we do. those players were projected first rounders. once our players get a sniff of the first round they bolt 100% of the time

compared to other elite schools, it appears villanova and unc defiantly have better luck than we do when it comes to this. the difference between those schools and us is that we dont reload or get "blindsided" when a player leaves. kentucky and duke dont have these problems for obvious reasons

Appreciate you joining. I know it's a typo, but I love the "defiantly" you used up there, because it sure feels that way sometimes.

compared to other elite schools, it appears villanova and unc defiantly have better luck than we do when it comes to this. the difference between those schools and us is that we dont reload or get "blindsided" when a player leaves. kentucky and duke dont have these problems for obvious reasons

Again there's no context. We can see this happen everywhere, check the players in the early entry thread...yet some here think it only happens here. It's just not true

I think there is merit to both takes here. Beginning of the season I would be willing to bet DJ Wilson was on nobody’s draft boards. He was sort of like Mali. Him and Wagner had great postseasons and that helped Wilson. But, still, it seems the other schools are handling surprise defections better. I don’t know. Part of me thinks Boeheim needs to get up on this situation earlier because it is happening. Players are leaving earlier than expected. Maybe he is a bit stubborn in the sense that because he thinks they aren’t ready (usually he is right!); that mindset overrides him and the staff being a bit more proactive in planning in advance/reloading? I don’t know.

UNC and NOVA get their players to come back with more regularity than we do. those players were projected first rounders. once our players get a sniff of the first round they bolt 100% of the time

Which players.

Nova doesn't get anyone drafted..They have to recruit these top 50-100 kids and have them stay. It's actually a great formula and has resulted in two chips in a very short time.
They'll finally have a 1st round pick this year. They know if they went up against the big boys for the top 10 guys, they would lose out.

Which players.

literally every single player on Syracuse that gets even one sniff of the first round bounces to the NBA. I'm too lazy to look up players from UNC or NOVA that come back after getting first round grades. but we all know its true

literally every single player on Syracuse that gets even one sniff of the first round bounces to the NBA. I'm too lazy to look up players from UNC or NOVA that come back after getting first round grades. but we all know its true

Yeeeeah. Which UNC or Nova players. This should be easy since we all know it's true.

Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington stayed through their junior years when both could have been 1st rounders ealier.

Tyler Zeller stayed through his senior year and went 1st rd. Could have been 1st rounder earlier.

Justin Jackson stayed 3 years when he would have been 1st rounder earlier.

They even got #1 HS prospect Harrison Barnes to stay 2 years. #1 HS prospects almost never stay more than 1 year

UNC's formula is also top notch..Instead of relying on 1 and dones..they target those top 25-50 guys who don't have "nba size" or "ooze potential" to make that jump ie...smaller pgs, tweeners etc and they stay around..
Little will change that for next year, he'll be 1 and done. UNC can't really hang with Duke, UK, KU for the 1 and dones (or maybe they can't pay enough LOL).

We target zone fits aka length and players that ooze NBA potential and once scouts see they put it together even a little bit, SEE YA

Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington stayed through their junior years when both could have been 1st rounders ealier.

Tyler Zeller stayed through his senior year and went 1st rd. Could have been 1st rounder earlier.

They even got #1 HS prospect Harrison Barnes to stay 2 years. #1 HS prospects almost never stay more than 1 year

Reggie Bullock too. They also overcame having to kick PJ Hairston off the team early in his arrival there.

UNC's formula is also top notch..Instead of relying on 1 and dones..they target those top 25-50 guys who don't have "nba size" or "ooze potential" to make that jump ie...smaller pgs, tweeners etc and they stay around..
Little will change that for next year, he'll be 1 and done. UNC can't really hang with Duke, UK, KU for the 1 and dones (or maybe they can't pay enough LOL).

We target zone fits aka length and players that ooze NBA potential and once scouts see they put it together even a little bit, SEE YA

Right. We don’t play a style like Villanova does too where we can have a bunch of tenacious/physical guards who do everything well pretty much and watch them develop through the program. They hit on those bigs too. Those guys develop. A guy like Ochefu.

Fair enough with Zeller, Jackson, and Barnes. Lawson and Ellington seem not that different than Fair or Lydon after our final four years.

But I'll concede that UNC does seem to get McDs AA to stay longer.

How about Nova or all these other schools with all the luck?

If we had a kid blow up the tourney like DiVincenzo just did, there would be 0.0000001% chance he'd be back. Is Donte even considering it?

Fair enough with Zeller, Jackson, and Barnes. Lawson and Ellington seem not that different than Fair or Lydon after our final four years.

UNC has a larger salary cap than SU.

If we had a kid blow up the tourney like DiVincenzo just did, there would be 0.0000001% chance he'd be back. Is Donte even considering it?

Right? I mean what is it? The coach, system, better ‘culture?’

Nail on the head.

Unc is an outlier. He can keep saying nova but that’s not true. Look how many kids declare across the country. I maintain kids at unc come back for a shot at a national championship as much as anything. There’s only a few kids that can think that way year in and year out.

This is a really interesting point. I marvel every year that they seem to hold onto their bigs much longer than you'd expect, but if you look at the NBA game now, the bigs they get aren't really the "NBA" type. Not long range shooters, and can't really step out and guard the bigs in the NBA who really stretch the floor. I hadn't really thought of that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.