Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
The slurs were reported last Wednesday and I (I'm assuming law students get the same emails regarding this stuff as undergrads) didn't get an email about it until this Monday from the "VP for the Student Experience" and Syverud didn't send one until Tuesday, which said there was a big communication gap within the University about the incident. I'd imagine that is a big part of the student uproar.

The slurs were reported last Wednesday and I (I'm assuming law students get the same emails regarding this stuff as undergrads) didn't get an email about it until this Monday from the "VP for the Student Experience" and Syverud didn't send one until Tuesday, which said there was a big communication gap within the University about the incident. I'd imagine that is a big part of the student uproar.

Yea it is and that’s the big picture.

doesn't really cost SU a thing. other than lost nacho sales. why not protest by spray painting the pee troughs with your protest message ? that would cost some clean up and provide some reading material at halftime.

No offense to your post but if graffiti is found in a dorm bathroom for Freshmen students is SU really expected to send a mass email to the entire student body and the Chancellor to comment on it immediately?

The students should figure out exactly what they want the university to do should this happen in the future and present that to the administration. This is the first I’ve heard of this and I have no idea what happened.

did I hear correctly that the protesters want the option of rooming with people of the same race?

this seems like a racist’s dream? And not exactly a message of unity? There were VERY clear racial lines drawn back in the 90s when I was there and the university made a deliberate decision to erase them

i also would like clarification on whether they were threats or slurs ?

Neither are acceptable, but if there were threats involved then absolutely the university at large should have been notified immediately. If they were not threats per say but rather vile and hate filled, I am more ok with the university doing at least a preliminary investigation to gather some basic facts before notifying the SU student body

Thats simply not realistic or even plausible
1573685943599.png

Let's see the Culprits before the Histrionics

There aren't any at this point and unless the person or persons who did it confess (good luck) its highly unlikely SU will ever figure out who did it.

What happened on campus?
Also the kids have every right to protest they paid for their seats.
If they don’t want to go that is fine.

What happened on campus?
Also the kids have every right to protest they paid for their seats.
If they don’t want to go that is fine.

it’s sort of a tree falls in the forest thing tho...would have been better to wait for a bigger game with national coverage. Something tells me that the racism that permeates the campus isn’t going away soon

Why is it so hard to say "we should have communicated this to you sooner, we hear you and we strive to do better and recognize we must do better."

Oh I agree I think they should say that but I think its naive at best to expect SU to give a full media brief after any sort of potential incident on campus. Again if a hate crime occurred and someone was hurt or attacked physically then definitely but for some graffiti in a bathroom I don't expect SU to issue an all points bulletin within 24 hours.

it’s sort of a tree falls in the forest thing tho...would have been better to wait for a bigger game with national coverage. Something tells me that the racism that permeates the campus isn’t going away soon

Is there really racism permeating the campus though, we have no idea who was responsible for the graffiti, and even if it was a white person that certainly doesn't make the SU campus Nazi Germany, lets not go overboard here.

Why is it so hard to say "we should have communicated this to you sooner, we hear you and we strive to do better and recognize we must do better."

Admission of wrongdoing seems to be a common issue these days. To not derail I will leave it at that. But it is a major issue.

Is this one incident or has it been happening?
I mean we all condemn that crap and the perpetrators should be found, charged, expelled and shamed.
I don’t think the students should expect more from the administration.
What do the students expect the administration do more?

Oh I agree I think they should say that but I think its naive at best to expect SU to give a full media brief after any sort of potential incident on campus. Again if a hate crime occurred and someone was hurt or attacked physically then definitely but for some graffiti in a bathroom I don't expect SU to issue an all points bulletin within 24 hours.

I'm incredibly neutral about what SU has done...I also don't really care if the student demands or issues are reasonable or if they're overreacting. I just think the people yelling at them on Twitter, calling them entitled snowflakes and what not, are complete morons and it draws me further to the students' side.
Though kind of wish the students would do something more drastic with respect to the game to really trigger the drama queens whining about this harmless protest.

Status
Not open for further replies.