Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the time in their lives when you're young and full of energy and idealistic to get out to do things like this. In 20 years they can think about their 401ks and colonoscopies and backing into parking spots like we do.
This probably belongs on the H0T Takes thread, but I hate backing into parking spots.

You could see shots of it in the background. There were some students there. Probably slightly fewer than the typical Colgate game but it wasn’t completely empty.

Thanks for the reply
I watched most of the stream but didn’t catch any shots of if it showed it I wasn’t paying attn.

Jim backs the university, gave a really good answer.

Yeah, he's good at this stuff, usually appreciate his takes. I just take issue with the idea that this has become headline news.

It's bad, we get it. Wash it off, move on. And publicly smack down whatever "tolerant" community members are petitioning to have race-based roommate selection as a response to this tempest in a teapot.

Yeah, he's good at this stuff, usually appreciate his takes. I just take issue with the idea that this has become headline news.

It's bad, we get it. Wash it off, move on. And publicly smack down whatever "tolerant" community members are petitioning to have race-based roommate selection as a response to this tempest in a teapot.

Couldn't agree more

you mean they handled it like a real investigation where you ask people to not discuss it or talk to the media so that they get better info?

Is there really racism permeating the campus though, we have no idea who was responsible for the graffiti, and even if it was a white person that certainly doesn't make the SU campus Nazi Germany, lets not go overboard here.

The brief answer - from what I've heard - is basically yes, although not on a real overt level. There have been some racial undercurrents on campus for a while now, and I think there are a number of students that are feeling marginalized - not necessarily by the administration or campus policies, but on the seeming lack of pro-activeness of the administration. We saw things start to come to a head with the frat incident last year. The reaction now isn't to the racist graffiti as a standalone issue, but basically a culmination of things with the graffiti being the straw that broke the camel's back. This one incident and the response shouldn't be looked at in a vacuum.

As for the graffiti itself (second hand info) - the N word appeared several times, along with slurs against Asians and several minority student's names called out specifically. Pretty ugly stuff. Perhaps some of this is a result of declining academic standing and rising "party school" status. I know Kent hates that label, but what is the school doing to change the profile of admitted/incoming students?

The brief answer - from what I've heard - is basically yes, although not on a real overt level. There have been some racial undercurrents on campus for a while now, and I think there are a number of students that are feeling marginalized - not necessarily by the administration or campus policies, but on the seeming lack of pro-activeness of the administration. We saw things start to come to a head with the frat incident last year. The reaction now isn't to the racist graffiti as a standalone issue, but basically a culmination of things with the graffiti being the straw that broke the camel's back. This one incident and the response shouldn't be looked at in a vacuum.

As for the graffiti itself (second hand info) - the N word appeared several times, along with slurs against Asians and several minority student's names called out specifically. Pretty ugly stuff. Perhaps some of this is a result of declining academic standing and rising "party school" status. I know Kent hates that label, but what is the school doing to change the profile of admitted/incoming students?
Is this true though? Knew it was down when Cantor allowed everyone and their brother in. But thought the profile was rising since then.

Party school matters none. Ivy League schools are just as big party schools. Couldn’t mean less in my eyes.

I was in Lincoln middle school last night and the wall above the urinal told me that my crank was tiny compared to whoever wrote it.

can I go after SSCD?
Normal people don’t get hurt over that, and certainly don’t hold an entire organization accountable.

Declining academic standing? It's USNWR ranking has gone back up and steadied since Cantor left. Personally? I think someone is doing this for attention to get certain goals accomplished such as segregated housing. There will always be "tension" on campuses especially where the minorities are indeed minorities. Do I think someone was bold enough to write racial slurs in two separate bathrooms in the same residence hall? No. With the assistance of social media these incidents get noticed much faster and by a larger populous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom