Per twitter no student section for this game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm incredibly neutral about what SU has done...I also don't really care if the student demands or issues are reasonable or if they're overreacting. I just think the people yelling at them on Twitter, calling them entitled snowflakes and what not, are complete morons and it draws me further to the students' side.
Though kind of wish the students would do something more drastic with respect to the game to really trigger the drama queens whining about this harmless protest.

Well I certainly agree that yelling at them on twitter is dumb and there entitled to protest if they want for sure. That said those people online are also entitled to their opinions even if it isn't a good one. I think why some people may disagree with the students is that the protesting and demands etc don't seem to match what occurred when you take it into context. Again not excusing in anyway what occurred but based on the demands and other stuff it feels like something a lot more heavy then graffiti occurred.

Apparently there are mutliple groups joining whatever this and there could be little to no student section tonight

The full compliment of students at a Colgate game on a Wednesday is about 19, is the joke I was making.

I think they’re boycotting a game most probably wouldn’t have gone to in the first place. It’s like a sub-.500 team banning themselves from the postseason.

Is there really racism permeating the campus though
No. People just make blanket statements, without evidence to justify their position. God forbid anyone challenge it, for fear of being villified.
Show me ONE position, rule, or campus code that is racist against minorities, or sexist against women or sexual orientation. There are none.
People may be biased, and that will ALWAYS be the case, but as an organization, SU bends over backwards to accommodate.

Racist graffiti against blacks, in a single dorm bathroom, leads to students boycotting the school’s basketball game whose team is comprised of fellow students, who are mostly black.

BF6D8C0B-24C6-41B2-ACD2-88484C4ED783.jpeg

Is there really racism permeating the campus though, we have no idea who was responsible for the graffiti, and even if it was a white person that certainly doesn't make the SU campus Nazi Germany, lets not go overboard here.
My point is- the issue of racism that exists on every campus and pretty much everywhere else. It is not just about one incident and choosing to not attend a rando Game vs Colgate seems silly. It’s their right but I don’t see them getting much impact.

getting SR Campus officials to send out emails about almost any situation takes time as it does at about every company of any size. Sending out the response in a timely fashion when its also a police investigation just adds to it. They didnt ignore it just because they took time coming up with a notification process. These things also require vetting across SR officials who may not all have been in a place to give their proper thoughts. This isnt one person coming up with a response.

Well I certainly agree that yelling at them on twitter is dumb and there entitled to protest if they want for sure. That said those people online are also entitled to their opinions even if it isn't a good one. I think why some people may disagree with the students is that the protesting and demands etc don't seem to match what occurred when you take it into context. Again not excusing in anyway what occurred but based on the demands and other stuff it feels like something a lot more heavy then graffiti occurred.

I understand...and everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just appreciate the irony in those who call young people snowflakes absolutely losing their s*** any time a young person does something that triggers them.

getting SR Campus officials to send out emails about almost any situation takes time as it does at about every company of any size. Sending out the response in a timely fashion when its also a police investigation just adds to it. They didnt ignore it just because they took time coming up with a notification process. These things also require vetting across SR officials who may not all have been in a place to give their proper thoughts. This isnt one person coming up with a response.
I'm pretty sure its beyond the sending of emails to the student body as a whole. The email he sent basically said the communication within the University regarding the incident did not meet reasonable expectations. Which could make some people feel as if they are trying to hide or something or not taking it as seriously as they should have. I don't know enough to have a strong opinion about it but that is my perception.

From what I read, the issue was more that the school was perceived as covering up the issue. During the original meeting in the dorm to address the issue, students were told not to talk about it or discuss externally (including with the media). They were told not to tape anything either. The optics of trying to cover it up angered students more - the DO reported about it and students posted on social media. As wirh any crisis, a bad response usually makes the situation 10x worse.

Seems like res life handled it poorly - telling college kids to not talk about an issue is idiotic. It just prompts more discussion. When I was at SU and in res life, things were handled differently. I presume this was a one off issue or just handled poorly at the dorm level. And things snowballed from there.

While I don't fully understand their reasons, I applaud that they successfully organized and mobilized action that will drive attention to what they care about.

This is the time in their lives when you're young and full of energy and idealistic to get out to do things like this. In 20 years they can think about their 401ks and colonoscopies and backing into parking spots like we do.

From what I read, the issue was more that the school was perceived as covering up the issue. During the original meeting in the dorm to address the issue, students were told not to talk about it or discuss externally (including with the media). They were told not to tape anything either. The optics of trying to cover it up angered students more - the DO reported about it and students posted on social media. As wirh any crisis, a bad response usually makes the situation 10x worse.

Seems like res life handled it poorly - telling college kids to not talk about an issue is idiotic. It just prompts more discussion. When I was at SU and in res life, things were handled differently. I presume this was a one off issue or just handled poorly at the dorm level. And things snowballed from there.

Agreed, not a smart way to handle it if that is what happened.

So yeah, that’s bush league by the University if true.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors