Per twitter no student section for this game | Syracusefan.com

Per twitter no student section for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
Apparently Otto's army and others are "protesting" the game due to the graffiti recently found in a campus dorm and I guess SU's response to it.

WOW.

Apparently Otto's army and others are "protesting" the game due to the graffiti recently found in a campus dorm and I guess SU's response to it.

WOW.
I don't know what to say to that.

While I don't fully understand their reasons, I applaud that they successfully organized and mobilized action that will drive attention to what they care about.

And don't be that person that says you respect the right to protest, but they shouldn't do it this way.

If it were me, I would boycott classes.

I did a lot of that in my 7 undergrad years.
I think I went to my Gen Ed required health and fitness class 3 times. I also threw the start of class fitness assessment and blew out my results at the end of the semester.

I'm not proud of it. I also don't regret it. That class was turrible.

That was for UVa.

Students usually "study" during non-conference games. ;)

just like the regular fans. Nobody should be complaining about student support of b-ball over the past few years.

So reading up on this I see the frustration is over transparency on handling of the incident to prevent further issues. With that said- it was in a bathroom. Essentially the only place you get away with that kind of crap unseen. With no cameras etc not sure how they could have much of a lead 7 days later. I get the frustration but not seeing where the University's response is out of line .. yet.

I really appreciate the way they're going about this. No histrionics, no bullying, just quiet activism and inviting others to join them in sending a message to the administration.

I don't disagree with this point either. I'm guessing it is the lack of much information in general.

So reading up on this I see the frustration is over transparency on handling of the incident to prevent further issues. With that said- it was in a bathroom. Essentially the only place you get away with that kind of crap unseen. With no cameras etc not sure how they could have much of a lead 7 days later. I get the frustration but not seeing where the University's response is out of line .. yet.

I was never the sit in type, but the most trivial things my college administration did would have me up in arms. That's just the mentality of college kids that, I imagine, is amplified when you're dealing with something as emotion inducing as racist grafitti.

I recall we had two incidents my freshman year in BB and both were kind of swept under the rug . Actually included bathroom graffiti as well. It was cleaned up before anyone had a good look at it, no DPS etc. Now most of us knew it was a prank and had an idea of who and thus it never really had anyone up in arms. Looking back at it- it was probably handled ( if you want to call it that) poorly.

I really appreciate the way they're going about this. No histrionics, no bullying, just quiet activism and inviting others to join them in sending a message to the administration.

I have some questions/issues:

1) They called this a “major racial crime”? It’s definitely disgusting, but IMO that creates an inaccurate picture of things. This is presumably one freshman being a scumbag, not some systemic racism.

2) Does the school know who did it? From what I read, they don’t. What exactly are they supposed to do about it in the short term?

I understand and support big picture/long term efforts in regards to improving things(see their list- some of which I imagine already happens, and others which are good thoughts/ideas), but I don’t really understand what they’re upset about and protesting in the short term?

I have some questions/issues:

1) They called this a “major racial crime”? It’s definitely disgusting, but IMO that creates an inaccurate picture of things. This is presumably one freshman being a scumbag, not some systemic racism.

2) Does the school know who did it? From what I read, they don’t. What exactly are they supposed to do about it in the short term?

I understand and support big picture/long term efforts in regards to improving things(see their list- some of which I imagine already happens, and others which are good thoughts/ideas), but I don’t really understand what they’re upset about and protesting in the short term?

Couldn't agree more with your points. Look I think were all against any type of racist graffitti, period. That said even if the graffitti was really bad ( I am sure it wasn't exactly pleasant I am not sure what these students expect SU to do about a one time incident in a publicly accessible area with no cameras.
Second unless the person or persons who did it are complete idiots (certainly possible) and confess how in the world would any investigation find out who did it. I mean your talking about I believe a bathroom within a dorm, hundreds of people are probably flowing through there especially on a weekend when I think they said this occurred. Could have easily been someone not even attending the school or from the area who was visiting or happened to be on campus. I am not sure what they expect SU to do as far as an investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom