Someone send these guys down to Kent’s house:

1574303326589.jpeg

"Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don't criticize what you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
The old road is rapidly aging
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a changing"

Some of you may remember me, some may not. I tend to pop in from time to time during conference play, the tourney and the early offseason. This, obviously, drew me in. I graduated from 'Cuse in '08, and I consider myself very lucky to have been done with my education before mass shootings became so widepsread and prevalent. I rarely worried about them as a student. Now, as an adult (33 years old), I worry about them quite a bit. I thought I'd provide some commentary on why students are so scared over the manifesto. I know that for people who are older or who don't follow the news closely, it may not be apparent why people are so scared.

I follow the news very closely most of the time, so I know that when a manifesto like that is released, there is a significantly elevated risk of a mass shooting. How many times have we heard of one of these monsters releasing a manifesto, then going on to carry out a mass shooting minutes/hours/days later? It's extremely common in these cases.

If I was a student at Syracuse University right now, I would not be messing around with that threat just to go to class. I would like to think I'd be participating in the sit-in, and as a 33-year-old I currently consider that a worthwhile risk to take. But for a random 2-3 days of class in November? that.

If I had a child who was a student there, I'd be begging them to come home for a few days.

If I was the chancellor there, I would have cancelled classes until the FBI investigated the release of the manifesto. It's just not worth the risk, whether the chances of a mass shooting are elevated to 1% or 10%, it's just way too high of a cost to take that risk.

The release of the manifesto is an inherent threat. Being a news junkie and politically active, I have read some of the content of some of these manifestos in order to educate myself on the threat these people pose to our society. I don't wish to repeat too much of the ideas or words here, so I'll just say that they are as vile, repulsive, violent, dangerous and disgusting as it gets. Their goals are usually centered around creating white ethno-states and their methods obviously include mass murder.

So the fact that someone decided to release that to a bunch of people on the Syracuse campus was an inherent threat. If I was a student in that library that night who received that manifesto, I would have feared for my life - and I'm a white male. I would have either run or taken shelter.

Once a mass shooting starts, the bullets tend to be indiscriminate. Hatred threatens all of us.
Fitzpatrick said there was no threat of violence. He also said the the family of the alleged racist taunting (lack of better term at this time) did not hear the alleged racist words. He suggested hiring of a lip reader.

Also, would it be easier to target people in a sit in, than in classes?

Some of you may remember me, some may not. I tend to pop in from time to time during conference play, the tourney and the early offseason. This, obviously, drew me in. I graduated from 'Cuse in '08, and I consider myself very lucky to have been done with my education before mass shootings became so widepsread and prevalent. I rarely worried about them as a student. Now, as an adult (33 years old), I worry about them quite a bit. I thought I'd provide some commentary on why students are so scared over the manifesto. I know that for people who are older or who don't follow the news closely, it may not be apparent why people are so scared.

I follow the news very closely most of the time, so I know that when a manifesto like that is released, there is a significantly elevated risk of a mass shooting. How many times have we heard of one of these monsters releasing a manifesto, then going on to carry out a mass shooting minutes/hours/days later? It's extremely common in these cases.

If I was a student at Syracuse University right now, I would not be messing around with that threat just to go to class. I would like to think I'd be participating in the sit-in, and as a 33-year-old I currently consider that a worthwhile risk to take. But for a random 2-3 days of class in November? that.

If I had a child who was a student there, I'd be begging them to come home for a few days.

If I was the chancellor there, I would have cancelled classes until the FBI investigated the release of the manifesto. It's just not worth the risk, whether the chances of a mass shooting are elevated to 1% or 10%, it's just way too high of a cost to take that risk.

The release of the manifesto is an inherent threat. Being a news junkie and politically active, I have read some of the content of some of these manifestos in order to educate myself on the threat these people pose to our society. I don't wish to repeat too much of the ideas or words here, so I'll just say that they are as vile, repulsive, violent, dangerous and disgusting as it gets. Their goals are usually centered around creating white ethno-states and their methods obviously include mass murder.

So the fact that someone decided to release that to a bunch of people on the Syracuse campus was an inherent threat. If I was a student in that library that night who received that manifesto, I would have feared for my life - and I'm a white male. I would have either run or taken shelter.

Once a mass shooting starts, the bullets tend to be indiscriminate. Hatred threatens all of us.
Inferred threat, not inherent.

“We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.”

80% of the demands of the protesters are completely fine and absolutely should be agreed to by the university immediately.

The problem is 20% are ridiculous and the kids are not being reasonable here.

I’d support the kids 100% if they were discussing this in good faith. But they aren’t. “Sign or resign” is ridiculous and makes what could be a strong bargaining position look amateur. Find middle ground, agree to 80%, and it’s a win.

As an aside the admin handled this terribly too...but at this moment on time the kids are the ones refusing to talk

Syverud will sign off on 98% of the demands. But the protesters want 100%. Since the protesters are not the whole student body, maybe they should reach out to all students to see if 98% is sufficient.

The property that it was in front of was on Comstock, not Walnut. I'm 99% sure it's this place at 105 Comstock:

View attachment 173143

Yup, same rusticated block on the foundation and glass block with laundry vents on the window, good catch. I'd only heard the 500 block of Walnut referenced before and I was staring for the longest time at the Google street view of 514 Walnut (same foundation material but a brick building and different first-floor window opening) trying to figure out what I was missing.

There is a solution to that, it's called an HBCU. Part of college is learning how to live and socialize with others from different ethnic, religion and socioeconomic backgrounds.

This is exactly what the administration should tell the kids.

You don't like what Syracuse University has to offer? Go get a worse degree at an HBCU and live a sheltered four year existence.

Sorry, man, I'm all about whatever makes SU a more inclusive place, but I really have no patience for college students who do public stuff that's detrimental to the institution. And they're getting nearly everything wrong this week. Loudly.

I've been mostly on board with them from the beginning, but they have taken a worthy platform and turned it into a charade. The "forum" they put together tonight was nothing more than a sideshow designed to publicly embarrass the university and its leadership. Their list of demands with zero wiggle room prevents any good faith negotiations from taking place and hinders realization of any significant campus enhancements as it relates to diversity and inclusion.

I've been mostly on board with them from the beginning, but they have taken a worthy platform and turned it into a charade. The "forum" they put together tonight was nothing more than a sideshow designed to publicly embarrass the university and its leadership. Their list of demands with zero wiggle room prevents any good faith negotiations from taking place and hinders realization of any significant campus enhancements as it relates to diversity and inclusion.

ditto. As can be seen by my posts throughout this thread I was in full support of the protestors. But for me, starting tonight I’ve lost a lot of respect for them. They’ve gone way too far and are now ridiculous with their stance on the demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.