Perfect day back home | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Perfect day back home

View attachment 220049
Pretty much, I’ll be the guy in orange at the grill running around like a lunatic as I am head chef. The menu is Chicago Italian beef flown in from Chicago as well as Chicago style hotdogs, coneys, pancakes sausage eggs home fries breakfast pizza, chicken skewers and some kind of dessert. Hope to see you!
Thanks! I’ll be wearing a name tag that reads “CTO” because 1) Joyce is universally beloved, but 2) not everyone knows CTO is a woman. That way I can benefit from loads of affection that would otherwise be totally undeserved by me.

I grew up in Dewitt but don't remember Fremont or the bridge but I'm sure I was in that town and over that bridge more than once.

Looking at the map, I'm surprised to see the Arrowhead, Wo-Na, Poosbrooke, and Old Oak golf courses which weren't there when I was - not to mention Rogue's Roost, Casolwood, and Woodcrest. Are any of those good courses?
poolsbrooke is no longer open I believe. Casolwood and woodcrest are nice from my perspective. I also like old oak, an open/flat/ easier layout but quiet and peaceful. Haven’t played arrowhead

Thanks! I’ll be wearing a name tag that reads “CTO” because 1) Joyce is universally beloved, but 2) not everyone knows CTO is a woman. That way I can benefit from loads of affection that would otherwise be totally undeserved by me.
haha we ALL know Joyce. Won't work. I'm in AZ anyways so weren't going to fool me.

Life Science Building. Bio undergrad, Biochem grad. Retired exec in the Biotech industry.
Spent a lot of time there as I studied Chemical Engineering so took my share of science courses. It was nice living at Shaw Hall freshman year and waking up at 820 for my 825 class.

It was your basic plot of a Hallmark Channel movie only with me in it, plus fewer sweaters.

Boy attends SU inter squad basketball game and afterwards goes to a little place that no longer exists to meet up with friends he knew from college. One friend says “Dick, here is somebody I’d like you to meet”. Boy turned and looked into the loveliest brown eyes he had ever seen. Boy shares a drink and a dance with the Girl. Afterwards, the group goes to the Allnight Eggplant (does that still exist?) for a late night snack.

A few days later, Boy calls Girl and asks her out. Their first date is at the Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse in Liverpool. Nine weeks later they are engaged. Yep, just nine weeks. Somehow they just clicked and somehow they both just knew.

Girl graduated from Harpur College…now the University of Binghamton…and got her Masters from SU. Boy got his undergrad degree from SU and also did some graduate work there. Girl brought culture to the relationship in the form of season tickets to Syracuse Stage, Boy brought culture to the relationship in the form of guys wearing Orange uniforms and playing sports.

Boy and Girl were married on a beautiful Autumn day and marched off into the unknown. They raised two wonderful sons and had an incredible life together.

Girl became a diehard SU fan, and although she didn’t post on the board or even read it, she always enjoyed meeting board members on those occasions when we attended road tailgates.

Four decades later, Girl celebrated her birthday the day before she lost a courageous 2 1/2 year battle with a vary rare cancer. Among her gifts was a birthday video from a certain basketball coach who plays on a court that bears his name. She loved his video.

Boy considers himself to be the luckiest boy who ever lived.
Thank you so much for telling this story! I can't love it enough.

It was your basic plot of a Hallmark Channel movie only with me in it, plus fewer sweaters.

Boy attends SU inter squad basketball game and afterwards goes to a little place that no longer exists to meet up with friends he knew from college. One friend says “Dick, here is somebody I’d like you to meet”. Boy turned and looked into the loveliest brown eyes he had ever seen. Boy shares a drink and a dance with the Girl. Afterwards, the group goes to the Allnight Eggplant (does that still exist?) for a late night snack.

A few days later, Boy calls Girl and asks her out. Their first date is at the Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse in Liverpool. Nine weeks later they are engaged. Yep, just nine weeks. Somehow they just clicked and somehow they both just knew.

Girl graduated from Harpur College…now the University of Binghamton…and got her Masters from SU. Boy got his undergrad degree from SU and also did some graduate work there. Girl brought culture to the relationship in the form of season tickets to Syracuse Stage, Boy brought culture to the relationship in the form of guys wearing Orange uniforms and playing sports.

Boy and Girl were married on a beautiful Autumn day and marched off into the unknown. They raised two wonderful sons and had an incredible life together.

Girl became a diehard SU fan, and although she didn’t post on the board or even read it, she always enjoyed meeting board members on those occasions when we attended road tailgates.

Four decades later, Girl celebrated her birthday the day before she lost a courageous 2 1/2 year battle with a vary rare cancer. Among her gifts was a birthday video from a certain basketball coach who plays on a court that bears his name. She loved his video.

I’m not crying… you’re crying.

thank you for sharing such a beautiful story… restores some semblance of faith

my condolences on losing your wife, she sounds like an amazing person

You didn’t get any insomnia cookies? Gonna have to raid them buddy.

Great post. I hope to visit 'home' soon too. I grew up in Taunton/Fairmount area. Moved away in 94. Been too long since I visited and went to a game up there. Would love to experience that with my son.

Man oh man……this story had both me and my wife in tears as I read her the story.

Absolutely touching and amazing.

Hope you make it down to us at the SyraCRUZ tailgate

If not, I hope you have the greatest day ever at the Dome

LETS GO ORANGE

Dick, I’ve been reading and enjoying your posts for going on more than 25 years now. Glad you’ve made the trek back to Syracuse for the game. Have a great weekend and I’m looking forward to your post game/visit thoughts. Go Orange!

Dick, I’ve been reading and enjoying your posts for going on more than 25 years now. Glad you’ve made the trek back to Syracuse for the game. Have a great weekend and I’m looking forward to your post game/visit thoughts. Go Orange!
I was told there would be no thinking involved…

I’m not crying. You’re crying! Great story. Hope to see you today

You know what I love about this forum?

Middle of the 4th quarter, at some point during the chaos, I thought to myself “man, I really hope they win this. But I especially hope they win this for Dick in Michigan”.

Dick, we have never met, but here’s to you, and Go Orange.

Middle of the 4th quarter, at some point during the chaos, I thought to myself “man, I really hope they win this. But I especially hope they win this for Dick in Michigan”.

I think Dick is going to need to go back and edit his post from the perfect day to the perfect weekend! as good as it gets, and was awesome meeting you Dick we had an absolute ball hanging and talking with you and so glad to see you’ve got to watch a game like this. Historic stuff.

If we do a tailgate at West Lafayette Indiana next year for the Purdue game there we will be sure to save you a spot my friend.

I think Dick is going to need to go back and edit his post from the perfect day to the perfect weekend! as good as it gets, and was awesome meeting you Dick we had an absolute ball hanging and talking with you and so glad to see you’ve got to watch a game like this. Historic stuff.

If we do a tailgate at West Lafayette Indiana next year for the Purdue game there we will be sure to save you a spot my friend.
Damn. I missed him

Great to see you in person again Dick. So glad you were able to make this game and see a memorable win at the Dome in person. It was a special game for all of us!

Thank you for that story. It brought tears to my eyes.

pattycuse, what an incredibly kind thing to say. I’m very touched by that.

Also, thanks for the kind comments from everyone else I was able to see again today as well as the folks I have known for many years from the board but just met for the first time. You folks are my SU family.

pattycuse, what an incredibly kind thing to say. I’m very touched by that.

Also, thanks for the kind comments from everyone else I was able to see again today as well as the folks I have known for many years from the board but just met for the first time. You folks are my SU family.
Sorry I missed you at the tailgate. I probably walked by you 5 or 6 times and didn’t know it

Sorry I missed you at the tailgate. I probably walked by you 5 or 6 times and didn’t know it
Did you notice a guy who looked like a dead-on cross between Brad Pitt and George Clooney?

Well…..that wasn’t me.

Sorry I missed you, too. Didn’t stay for very long but glad I finally got to see the Fine Mess Enrique’s SyraCRUZ tailgate. Not enough words in the title though….In my mind I add Cougar Mellancamp at the end. I bought my shirt from Consiglieri’s lovely wife and look forward to wearing it at the gym next Wednesday morning and confusing all of the Mid-Michiganders.

Did you notice a guy who looked like a dead-on cross between Brad Pitt and George Clooney?

Well…..that wasn’t me.

Sorry I missed you, too. Didn’t stay for very long but glad I finally got to see the Fine Mess Enrique’s SyraCRUZ tailgate. Not enough words in the title though….In my mind I add Cougar Mellancamp at the end. I bought my shirt from Consiglieri’s lovely wife and look forward to wearing it at the gym next Wednesday morning and confusing all of the Mid-Michiganders.
So glad you had a great visit. God Bless

Got in town yesterday. Today I took a long walk on the Erie Canal Towpath where in my younger days I used to run 50 miles a week.

Swung through Watertree, where in 1979 I closed on a condo in the morning and then that night met the beautiful girl to whom I would be married for 40 years. Pretty good day that was.

Visited my parents graves then the church where my late wife and I were married 42 years ago next month.

Parked my car in the increasingly congested area around Marshall Street and headed up to campus. I like the new sign at the top of University Ave. Wandered up to the quad and took in the sight of the roller coaster looming majestically over The Artist Formerly Known as The Carrier Dome. Headed over to visit the building that now houses my old academic department. Looks like one of my old profs now has a lecture hall named after him. Well done.

Strolled down for a slice of my favorite pizza in the world at The Varsity. The mens room doesn’t look like has been updated since my SU days but I guess that is what is known as tradition. Replenished my SU wardrobe at the usual places and then drove through my childhood neighborhood in the eastern suburbs followed by a drive through the neighborhood my family lived in the western suburbs prior to moving to Michigan in 1991. Stopped for a cone at Peter’s Polar Parlor and called it an afternoon. Dinner tonight at Joey’s with old friends.

It doesn’t get much better for your old buddy Dick in Michigan but the SU game on Saturday with my niece will be the icing on the cake.

Great to be back home.
This is one of my favorite posts in all the years of all the boards.

Really, really fantastic. Very glad you enjoyed the trip. I know the feeling.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom