Perhaps one of the best articles: FSU not going to Big 12 | Syracusefan.com

Perhaps one of the best articles: FSU not going to Big 12

arbitragegls

All Conference
One of my friends, yes i do have friends (first cousin) and he is an administrator at NC State (how I got tickets for the 'Cuse-NC State bball game and hopefully will have tickets for many other ACC games)...tells me no way does FSU and Clemson leave for Big 12 (now SEC would be a different story but most likely not). He calls this blog perhaps the best in college football...so here goes the analysis and interestingly, it concentrates on academics more so than athletics and relates the problem with WVU coming to ACC etc. It also discusses what was reason for Texas and Oklahoma not getting into the Pac 10...it wasnt these two institutions it was their traveling partners.
So based on this, I am feeling solid about the ACC...what do you think?

Below is part of the article...and then the link...
"Academics. The people spreading these rumors don’t possess degrees from the universities whose futures they want to determine. To them, these are “teams,” not “universities.” Florida State is first and foremost a UNIVERSITY, not a football team. The individuals who ultimately would make a decision of this gravity – the university president and board of trustees – are highly educated people, many FSU graduates, who understand athletics is a piece (an important piece, but not the whole purpose) of an overall university mission.
In the 2012 U.S. News and World Report rankings of American colleges and universities the ACC stood head and shoulders above all other BCS conferences with an average ranking of 43.25. That ranking stands almost 30 places higher than the next highest for any conference and a country mile ahead of the Big 12 whose average placement was 100.3. In language as simple as I can make it, NO UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT OR BOARD OF TRUSTEES WILL EVER LEAVE AN ASSOCIATION WITH SCHOOLS LIKE DUKE, UNC, WAKE FOREST, MIAMI, GEORGIA TECH, BOSTON COLLEGE AND VIRGINIA IN FAVOR OF ONE WITH TEXAS TECH, OKLAHOMA STATE, WEST VIRGINIA AND KANSAS STATE.
If you’re one of the many who doesn’t think academic reputation matters to conference expansion, let me enlighten you.
Why were Texas A&M and Missouri invited to join the SEC? There were many reasons and one of the biggest was the membership of those two schools in the prestigious Association of American Universities. The SEC not only wanted to improve its collective television markets with the addition of the Aggies and Tigers, it wanted to improve its academic clout.
Why was neither the SEC nor ACC interested in adding West Virginia University despite its strong athletic department? Why has the University of Louisville been left behind in this recent round of expansion? Neither WVU nor UL possesses a strong enough academic reputation to be courted by any conference aside from the scholastically puny Big 12. With its athletic excellence, industry-leading facilities, brand value, resources, charm and ownership of a medium sized TV market if it weren’t for academic reputation the University of Louisville would have joined the SEC, ACC or Big 10 long ago. (This is not to say UL is a bad school; it’s a fine school whose mission has been largely about service to non-traditional college students which accounts for its lower rankings. This is a long story I won’t get into here.)
Never was the influence of academics on conference expansion made more clear than the Pac 12’s refusal to add four Big 12 schools in the Fall of 2011. Remember when it was a “done deal” that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were joining the Pac 12? They all wanted to go and Pac 12 Commissioner Larry Scott wanted them in, but the presidents at his member institutions told him “no” – emphatically. Despite the new TV markets it would have opened up, despite the cash windfall it would have presented, despite the power of the Texas and Oklahoma brands, the presidents of great academic institutions like Cal-Berkley, Stanford, UCLA, USC and Washington said we’re not letting Texas Tech and Oklahoma State into this conference. Period.
Conference expansion involves multiple factors. Academics plays a larger role than fans recognize. This is the number-one reason FSU will never join the Big 12 and it’s such a strong reason none others are needed.

This link will provide many good readings on ACC to come:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/forget-rumors-reasons-why-fsu-would-never-join-the-big-12/

sums it up pretty well - the whole notion that FSU and Clemson were considering leaving for the Big 12 which has been hemorrhaging teams for the past two years always seemed silly and more of a WVU pipe-dream to me than anything close to reality

I have always found the academic argument persuasive on this particular issue. FSU and Clemson may be the academic lightweights of the ACC, but there is no reason to believe their Boards and Presidents would prefer to be surrounded by other academic lightweights. And it is ultimately the Presidents and the Boards, not ADs, coaches and fans, who decide such matters as conference affiliation.

sums it up pretty well - the whole notion that FSU and Clemson were considering leaving for the Big 12 which has been hemorrhaging teams for the past two years always seemed silly and more of a WVU pipe-dream to me than anything close to reality

Yup, no doubt.

The Big 12 is so great that's why two traditional powerhouse football teams in Colorado and Nebraska left.

So FSU is going to leave their powerbase for a conference run by Texas and which was on the verge of imploding? yeah ok.

Don't tell the Uconn fans...in their eyes Cemson, Miami, FSU, and George Tech have already made the jump, quickly followed by UNC, Maryland, and UVa to the B1G.

Don't tell the Uconn fans...in their eyes Cemson, Miami, FSU, and George Tech have already made the jump, quickly followed by UNC, Maryland, and UVa to the B1G.

Cool. But they would still be S.O.L.

If you take that article at face value, then that should also say they would not go to the SEC due to the academic differences with the ACC. But we know $$$$ speaks so everyone has their "price". It should also be noted that the FSU President set up some committee last fall to monitor/discuss/etc the expansion landscape. While I personally don't think FSU would go to the B12, it is folly to think they haven't discussed it or had discussions with the B12. It is not just some pipe dream started by WVU fans. They may have flamed it but they are not the genesis of the "talk" nor is it just internet chatter. Maybe FSU is using other conferences to leverage the ACC for more say on who joins the ACC or maybe they have sincere interest in exploring their options due to their belief that ACC football is being water downed. But for whatever reason, they aren't just sitting back and not being engaged at all like some think. I have no doubt the "rumors" of FSU and the B12 (or SEC) emanate from FSU and not WVU or internet message boards. The writer is correct that academics play a huge part in these decisions, but he also seems to minimize the $$$ involved from athletics. If it was only about academics, then Texas wouldn't be in the B12, Vandy wouldn't be in the SEC and the ACC would banish some of their lesser academic institutions (they have a couple).

You have started to see how and why so many seem intent on talking up the destruction of the ACC. They see it as their ticket ultimately. The fact of the matter is that the two most valuable ACC properties are UNC and Dook, because we are flagship Public Ivy institutions with major sports accomplishments across athletics. Missouri now would not be in the SEC if UNC, UVA, and Dook had shown any sign they might complete a 16 team SEC.

The only way that the Big Midwest will expand into the South is to get UNC and UVA. And it would take Maryland and Dook to get them.

So we have a bunch of people creating fantasies that lead to their school being a Winner after the ACC is gutted. All moves start with FSU and Clemson leaving; two years ago and last year it was for the for the SEC. Now for the Bevo 12. That will start the rats fleeing the sinking ship, as many WVU fans have expressed so originally. The Bevo league will then take GT and Miami, as well as Louisville, and then perhaps Cincy.

The SEC will then get VT and NCSU.

The evil snobs at UNC and Dook and UVA will be levelled and made to suffer. Save that the Big Ten will then take them and Maryland. As they will then get much more money for sports from TV, how that will be bad for them only a WVU fan can explain.

That will leave Wake as the lone old ACC school in the ACC, along with Pitt, Cuse, and BC. They then add UConn, Rutgers, and USF. They then will decide whether to add schools like Temple, ECU, UCF, Memphis, Southern Miss, and Navy and Army for football.

It is as beautiful and logically precise as a Holy Roller using the Apocalypse and Daniel to predict the exact hour of the 2nd Coming.

Bees, that video signature is mesmerizing and creepy at the same time.

If you take that article at face value, then that should also say they would not go to the SEC due to the academic differences with the ACC. But we know $$$$ speaks so everyone has their "price". It should also be noted that the FSU President set up some committee last fall to monitor/discuss/etc the expansion landscape. While I personally don't think FSU would go to the B12, it is folly to think they haven't discussed it or had discussions with the B12. It is not just some pipe dream started by WVU fans. They may have flamed it but they are not the genesis of the "talk" nor is it just internet chatter. Maybe FSU is using other conferences to leverage the ACC for more say on who joins the ACC or maybe they have sincere interest in exploring their options due to their belief that ACC football is being water downed. But for whatever reason, they aren't just sitting back and not being engaged at all like some think. I have no doubt the "rumors" of FSU and the B12 (or SEC) emanate from FSU and not WVU or internet message boards. The writer is correct that academics play a huge part in these decisions, but he also seems to minimize the $$$ involved from athletics. If it was only about academics, then Texas wouldn't be in the B12, Vandy wouldn't be in the SEC and the ACC would banish some of their lesser academic institutions (they have a couple).

Well yeah I certainly beieve that the Big 12 is courting other schools to shore up their stability, and FSU would be dumb not to hear the offers out there. Though football has been down the Seminoles are still a valuable property. But that's a far cry from bolting.

The SEC is king in terms of financval security and I think that would overshadow any qualms the BOT and president at FSU would have wrt academics. The Big 12 is not the SEC. Austin still holds the killswitch for that entire conference. I think when you get down to it, only a desperate institution (like WVU) would leave a major conference for the impending clusterf%ck.

Bees i agree for the most part with what you are saying other than Vandy Texas and some other schools are part of their respective conf as a result of history not current day choices. In reading the article it makes sense. Both Syracuse and Pitt have strong athletic and academic foundations and as many of us have felt for years the ACC was always the best fit for SU. Good article that seems to hold water

$$$ does speak and everyone has their price. However, it would be my guess that the ACC affiliation brings Florida State and Clemson a heck of a lot more research $$$ than the "measley" few million bucks in additional TV revenue an affiliation with the Great Plains Conference would buy them.

Of course FSU is talking to other conferences. Didn't SU spend the past 8 years talking to other conferences? I would expect that every President and AD are "talking"... it would be negligent not to.

Big difference between "talking" and actively looking to leave. Big difference.

Big difference between "talking" and actively looking to leave. Big difference.

Ya think? Then why do so many people act like everything, even the talking, is some big mirage created by WVU and the internet? From that other thread, you would think FSU has been hunkered down doing nothing and that the WVU sports forums created some myth.

You can say that FSU is simply "keeping their options open", but I believe their conversations with the B12 is more or less an ACC powerplay. They are strengthening their position within the conference

You can say that FSU is simply "keeping their options open", but I believe their conversations with the B12 is more or less an ACC powerplay. They are strengthening their position within the conference

Could be and I mentioned that. But even that is far more than what many people here think.

Any university that isn't looking at possible moves, that would benefit the university would be negligent in their mission. ESPN being a business, with the ACC being their biggest asset for conferences, would also be negligent if they cause the ACC's destruction, by lowballing the contract. It is in ESPN's best interest to make sure the ACC contract meets all current standards. The ACC having Florida St and Clemson saying they might leave, because the ACC contract is lower then the Big 12, makes perfect sense to force ESPN to come up with more money.

Why is it FSU's belief that the ACC football is being watered down? Because of the schools that were added? Who was there to add? Ohio State and Texas instead of Pitt or Syracuse. Because of the the ACCs football performance? FSU is like 4-3 in their last seven against DUKE. And not in basketball. Frankly, if FSU is upset about the ACCs football performance, they should look in the mirror.

West Virginia had 3 good years under RR, and have parlayed that into being a football powerhouse. The 13 years of the original Big East with Miami, VT, and BC they only had 2 years that they were in the top 25, Pitt 1, BC 4, Syr 7,VT 9, Miami 12 and 2 national championships. By West Virginia logic, you could say the fact they weren' t better during that time, is the reason Miami,VT, and BC left for a better football conference the ACC.

It would be funny if Swafford is the one spreading the FSU/Clemson rumors to put pressure on ESPN to give the ACC more money for the TV contract. ESPN can't really play hardball because if they don't offer fair TV $, they could lose a lot of content should teams leave the ACC.

With their new deal, the Big XII just made all schools sign away grant of rights for 13 years, right? That means no one is leaving that conference for at least 13 years (technically they could, but all the money will still be paid to their old conference). Pretty sure, all of conferences are moving toward that model with any new deal that's being signed. The ACC will as well with this new ESPN deal. If that happens, no one is leaving. Not FSU. Not VT. NO ONE.

West Virginia had 3 good years under RR, and have parlayed that into being a football powerhouse. The 13 years of the original Big East with Miami, VT, and BC they only had 2 years that they were in the top 25, Pitt 1, BC 4, Syr 7,VT 9, Miami 12 and 2 national championships. By West Virginia logic, you could say the fact they weren' t better during that time, is the reason Miami,VT, and BC left for a better football conference the ACC.
For complete details see my Big East Football Historical Overview.