Perhaps The Better Basketball Minds Here Can Answer This | Syracusefan.com

Perhaps The Better Basketball Minds Here Can Answer This

Col. Bleep

All American
We obviously couldn't handle the pressure...and no one brings it better than Louisville.

Forget about the frontcourt problems for a moment...this question originates in the backcourt.

Generally, when a team presses you, you bring back a forward who has hands and some handle. You go over the top, you get him the ball, you use him as a safety valve. We've done it over the years with guys ranging from DC to Chris Joseph. This year...only CJ fits the bill. But I only recall seeing him come back once...and we beat the pressure when he did.

So where was he? It doesn't seem to make sense to keep him upcourt if there's trouble in the backcourt.

We obviously couldn't handle the pressure...and no one brings it better than Louisville.

Forget about the frontcourt problems for a moment...this question originates in the backcourt.

Generally, when a team presses you, you bring back a forward who has hands and some handle. You go over the top, you get him the ball, you use him as a safety valve. We've done it over the years with guys ranging from DC to Chris Joseph. This year...only CJ fits the bill.
But I only recall seeing him come back once...and we beat the pressure when he did.

So where was he? It doesn't seem to make sense to keep him upcourt if there's trouble in the backcourt.

He was sitting on the bench in foul trouble

He was sitting on the bench in foul trouble
The entire 16 disastrous minutes?
And if that was the case, did it make sense to keep him there all that time when we obviously needed help?

The entire 16 disastrous minutes?
And if that was the case, did it make sense to keep him there all that time when we obviously needed help?
I agree. He sat for about 6 minutes but by that time it was all but over. I was screaming for JB to just take a chance and seeing he could make it without fouling.

i do so anxiously await the armchair coaches here who talk about JB's subtle game time "adjustments".

I agree. He sat for about 6 minutes but by that time it was all but over. I was screaming for JB to just take a chance and seeing he could make it without fouling.
No he wasn't you are thinking of JS who isn't exactly a press breaker. To the OP - I was actually wondering that too. It was clear that our guards were having a lot of trouble against the press so I would have thought bringing CJ back and having him flash to the middle would have been a good option. Now, CJ is limited too - he is not much of a passer and he isn't exactly Billy Owens as far as handle goes. But yeah I thought it would have helped.

FWIW i haven't won 900+ games as a D1 coach but i do know from experience that the way to beat a hard ride is not to try and dribble around it but rather run right thru it. refs might call one 1 flop but not 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom