Perhaps unpopular however... BURN IT ALL DOWN | Syracusefan.com

Perhaps unpopular however... BURN IT ALL DOWN

Zepharus

Starter
Having been a lifelong college basketball fan, this really pains me to say. I will always have my 84' on Cuse memories to hold onto, but my interest has been waning for a long time. This shady, paying players has been going on for a longtime and this simply highlights how widespread, unequal and sloppy the underbelly has become.

Im certain every D1 program has taken part in this but some clearly go deeper than others. Yeah Im looking at you Kentucky, Duke and Oregon among many others.

You will always have an uneven playing field with someone willing to pay.

With that said, ive had enough. BURN IT ALL DOWN

Yeah I don't understand why people let scandals/beliefs ruin their sports. I will still be watching. All industries do things we don't agree with or aren't ethical. You going to live in a bubble?

Having been a lifelong college basketball fan, this really pains me to say. I will always have my 84' on Cuse memories to hold onto, but my interest has been waning for a long time. This shady, paying players has been going on for a longtime and this simply highlights how widespread, unequal and sloppy the underbelly has become.

Im certain every D1 program has taken part in this but some clearly go deeper than others. Yeah Im looking at you Kentucky, Duke and Oregon among many others.

College have been paying players and cheating since before 1900. If you can't handle it, follow pro sports.

College have been paying players and cheating since before 1900. If you can't handle it, follow pro sports.
Its not about handling it or living in a bubble. When the known becomes exposed its draining. Ill watch, but less invested, make sense?

Burn it down and rebuild it. Id welcome the change

I'm with Bilas- pay the players!! The only ones not fully benefiting from the billions being made, are the players themselves. Yeah yeah yeah...cue the "but they're getting a free education worth blah blah blah dollars" amen chorus, which totally glosses over the income disparity, IMO.
Hate to say it, but if I'm coming from a bad economic situation, and some runner is prepared to forward me a couple hundred grand so my son can play for his school and make them millions of dollars, I'd probably take it. Why should everyone else make out, but I can't? Its hypocrisy at its finest.
Start by paying the players a decent livable amount, and then talk about "integrity" in the sport. Otherwise, this is just more rhetoric to mask the biggest Ponzi scam in sports history. JMHO

Seth Rollins agrees.

My take, you're being way too dramatic. This could be avoided if the pro leagues cultivated a true minor league system that allowed basketball and football players with pro potential to be compensated while they hone their craft. Why can the Olympic sports go pro, make money and no bats an eye? People aren't going to agree with this take, but it's not a green thing, it is a Black and White thing.

I'm with Bilas- pay the players!! The only ones not fully benefiting from the billions being made, are the players themselves. Yeah yeah yeah...cue the "but they're getting a free education worth blah blah blah dollars" amen chorus, which totally glosses over the income disparity, IMO.
Hate to say it, but if I'm coming from a bad economic situation, and some runner is prepared to forward me a couple hundred grand so my son can play for his school and make them millions of dollars, I'd probably take it. Why should everyone else make out, but I can't? Its hypocrisy at its finest.
Start by paying the players a decent livable amount, and then talk about "integrity" in the sport. Otherwise, this is just more rhetoric to mask the biggest Ponzi scam in sports history. JMHO
Look, if paying the players is the answer then lets do it. But what would stop this from still going on? I mean it would assuredly be a flat rate, so then the shade factor just covers certain star players?

I dont see anyway this gets"fixed"

I agree but I think the players are making some money - I think this case proves that these kids and their families are savvy as to the value that they bring, and know the way to the money. I agree on the folks who tout the educational trade off - UNC ended that argument once and for all. It's a business.

Well, "Ain't that America!"...

...I drive by the homeless sleeping on a cold dark street
Like bodies in an open grave
Underneath the broken old neon sign
That used to read JESUS SAVES

A mile away live the rich folks
And I see how they're living it up
While the poor they eat from hand to mouth
The rich is drinking from a golden cup

And it just makes me wonder why so many lose, so few win

Its not about handling it or living in a bubble. When the known becomes exposed its draining. Ill watch, but less invested, make sense?

Burn it down and rebuild it. Id welcome the change
I hope this helps to get the apparel companies under control. Their money corrupts amateur basketball badly, makes a lot of people do bad things and is, I think, the single biggest problem with the sport today. This scandal is more about bad things sneaker companies do.

I hope the hammer comes down hard on them.

I say pay them but they must graduate and the money is in escrow till then.

Look, if paying the players is the answer then lets do it. But what would stop this from still going on? I mean it would assuredly be a flat rate, so then the shade factor just covers certain star players?

I dont see anyway this gets"fixed"

How does a program like UNC Asheville pay their players. Albany? Boise State? Are these basketball programs even profitable? Does the 12th man get the same about as the leading scorer? How much do they get paid? Are they getting the same amount as the Kentucky or Kansas players or other programs that are highly profitable?

Why are universities in the professional sports business anyway? It progressed naturally from regional clubs, exploded with radio and tv, and has outgrown many schools into basically a separate, sustainable business.

It would be like if 100 years ago companies started employee softball clubs. They would play other companies' clubs and then started a company league. It got really popular with the locals (no professional teams, often), and started being broadcast. Players got better and soon employees were recruited solely for their softball skills and given fake jobs (alongside actual workers who don't play on the team).

Then you end up with grocery stores and electronics companies that have professional softball teams making millions. But all the players are technically janitors or cart boys and get paid as such. It makes no sense. No one would create this system from scratch in todays world.

This is penny ante compared to the cheating that goes on in big time football. But I doubt that will ever be exposed like this.

How does a program like UNC Asheville pay their players. Albany? Boise State? Are these basketball programs even profitable? Does the 12th man get the same about as the leading scorer? How much do they get paid? Are they getting the same amount as the Kentucky or Kansas players or other programs that are highly profitable?
All great questions, with no clear answers right now. But I submit that the first step would be approving the "pay 'em"
concept, followed by committees and whatnot set up specifically to design and implement such a plan. I don't think it should be a team by team, or conference by conference situation. The NCAA rakes in the big bucks yet is largely useless except for running March Madness and shoveling money into their coffers for frivolous nonsense. Why not have them make themselves useful by administering payments through them? Just a suggestion, but it's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that could get this thing to work. JMHO

The NCAA rakes in the big bucks yet is largely useless except for running March Madness and shoveling money into their coffers for frivolous nonsense. Why not have them make themselves useful by administering payments through them? Just a suggestion, but it's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that could get this thing to work. JMHO

Now that's a good point. NCAA makes a billion dollars on the add revenue for the NCAA Tournament.

The NCAA Tournament is an enormous cash cow as revenue keeps skyrocketing

I'm with him. Burn it down and start from scratch. Making paying players legal, get rid of all the cronies at the NCAA that always favor the blue bloods. I stopped watching the last few years due to the unfair landscape. Nothing has brought my fandom back like this recent scandal. It's a sign of positive change.

Some ideas...just for shits and giggles.

- End the 1 year college hoops requirement. make it 2 years minimum, or none at all.
- All power conference schools get 12 single year salaries to disperse to players in addition to their academic scholarships. These range from $25K for true freshman to $50K for seniors. All non power conf schools get 12 $10,000 salaries that dont change based on year.
- NBA and NCAA jointly come together and, as part of the admissions package, have players sign a binding agreement that if they are EVER found, whether in real time, or many years later, to have taken dirty money of any kind, they receive a lifetime ban from the two leagues/organizations.

- End the 1 year college hoops requirement. make it 2 years minimum, or none at all.
- All power conference schools get 12 single year salaries to disperse to players in addition to their academic scholarships. These range from $25K for true freshman to $50K for seniors. All non power conf schools get 12 $10,000 salaries that dont change based on year.
- NBA and NCAA jointly come together and, as part of the admissions package, have players sign a binding agreement that if they are EVER found, whether in real time, or many years later, to have taken dirty money of any kind, they receive a lifetime ban from the two leagues/organizations.
Wait.. these actually make sense.

Some good ideas.

We used to be a nation of laws so I have no problem with your ideas. I like them. I think we have legitimate grievances as fans, that is the source of all the money that flows, on how these organizations operate across all state lines. I think something will be done to clean up the sport. This story has legs. This is just the first week. Just wait until Duke, UK, or Kansas become implicated then the crap will really hit the fan!!!