Personnel changes on the OL | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Personnel changes on the OL

The “Addazzio” though will never happen with HCFB.. Just my humble opinion but unless he knows him personally i don't think that will ever happen

This is not a shot at you at all, because I have seen Addazzio mentioned by at least 3 other posters and the theme seems to be that we would not pay up and cheaped out on the OL coach hire. That could be true, but the larger question is if Steve had any interest in coming here and would have even accepted the position coach spot. Do we know we passed on hiring/offering him this position, or is this just him being on our wish list?
I thought someone said that Nixon came in and asked for Williams. Not sure if he had anyone else in mind as higher priority.

I answered you last week but you didn't respond. Sometimes coaches make mistakes. So it's not unfathomable to think a coach is evaluating his position group incorrectly and playing someone who shouldn't be and/or not playing someone who should be.

This isn't math, this is subjective.

I'm agnostic on whether the right guys are getting the snaps on the OL. But I am certain that it's possible a non-starter should be getting snaps despite the coach's experience.
I certainly agree with you in part. There may be some guys, talent wise, who we all think should be playing, but these coaches have rules about things..that are separate from talent...Like going to class!! You should check out Coach Fran's statement about why some talented kids are not playing right away as freshman. He mentioned playing time linked to going to class!!

I certainly agree with you in part. There may be some guys, talent wise, who we all think should be playing, but these coaches have rules about things..that are separate from talent...Like going to class!! You should check out Coach Fran's statement about why some talented kids are not playing right away as freshman. He mentioned playing time linked to going to class!!
I have no idea about class attendance being an impediment to getting playing time. I'm merely making the point that coaches are human, make mistakes, and sometimes inadvertently leave better players on the bench due to poor performance evaluation.

You keep saying that posters are off the mark because coaches see players in practice every day. They do. All coaches do. And they still make personnel mistakes.

This is not a shot at you at all, because I have seen Addazzio mentioned by at least 3 other posters and the theme seems to be that we would not pay up and cheaped out on the OL coach hire. That could be true, but the larger question is if Steve had any interest in coming here and would have even accepted the position coach spot. Do we know we passed on hiring/offering him this position, or is this just him being on our wish list?

I don't have any inside information, so I can't talk to any of that.
I just know that he recruits and consistently develops pro level offensive line talent, and if Fran wanted to "out tough" people beginning with the line play, he's a good guy for that role.

I thought someone said that Nixon came in and asked for Williams. Not sure if he had anyone else in mind as higher priority.

Because he was known as a good pass protection coach, and we brought in a pocket QB, so it makes all the sense in the world.

People just shouldn't be upset that we don't have more of a running game. We have the 3rd best passing offense in college football.

I think most are fine with passing the ball more with Kyle. Fans aren't pineing for a rushing based offense. We just wish our OL showed the ability to do it when called upon. In general I don't think the OL pass blocking has been awful up the middle. We throw a lot and there will be an occasional breakdowns when teams throw in the blitz pass rush often which has been the case lately. Teams are probably getting a bit more push up the middle then we'd like though.

When your OL has blah success in blocking for the run game and you have a QB who is zero threat to run this makes things much more difficult on the pass protection. Teams don't respect our ability to run in any way. LB's don't need to spy the QB etc. The front 6 or 7 only need to focus on rushing the QB or covering the RB out of the back field.

Our main issue is how slow our Tackles are against pass rush around the outside. We brought in some players that we hoped would be a significant upgrade out there in the pass blocking and they don't seem to be much if any better than what we've seen previously and they also don't seem to be good run blockers either despite their size.

So much of our hopes of success this year were based on improvement at pass blocking at the OT positions. Unfortunately they don't seem adequate at this point. This is certainly due to talent. Is it also due to coaching? I'm not so sure. Problems mostly seems to be due to a lack of athleticism on the outside instead of blocking scheme and assignment based issues to me.
The OL is doing such a poor job that Kyle has only passed for 1459 yards, and only thrown for 14 touchdown passes to multiple receivers

The OL is doing such a poor job that Kyle has only passed for 1459 yards, and only thrown for 14 touchdown passes to multiple receivers
Highest attempts per game in the country, it’s gonna happen

Sack rate is 41st according to one stat place, and the sack rate is half of what it was last year.

Last edited:

I really think our fanbase is way harder on this team this year for some reason.

Just makes no sense.

We aren’t Alabama or Georgia despite what some think around here.

Yea we’re recruiting at a higher clip but it’s still not even close to the “haves” in college football

Highest attempts per game in the country, it’s gonna happen
Completion rate is excellent. Lots of over 20-yard gains. He is getting time. We might not like the run game, but this guy was hired to protect Kyle and allow him to throw and so far, it been solid.

Is it bad coaching or lack of talent to coach up? I think it’s more than likely a mix of both.
Yesterday I looked at a lot of things. It’s definitely a mix of both. I saw a few times where I think the blocking schemes were requiring more speed and athleticism than our line has. Which is not to say it’s necessarily bad coaching, but bad execution of what was coached..

if someone could share with me how to post a picture. I can’t post a screenshot to illustrate this.

In the 24 minute condensed game replay, at the one minute mark, 1st qtr, we had what looked to be total incompetence on the offensive line. it looked like their DT just blew up Reed and Bradford. I had to watch it in slow motion three or four times just to figure out what we were trying to do. It was a good scheme vs 4-2 D, if we could’ve executed.. Reed goes right to the second level and does not touch the DT And blocks one of the two linebackers in a 4-2 look. Bradford chips on the DT and passes him off to Washington (who does not get there quick enough) and the defensive tackle blows up the play . (Mang comes across to kick out Washington’s DE). Bradford goes to the second level and if you watch in slow Mo, you will see Bradford run right up to the LB and then RUNS RIGHT BY HIM. It was bad enough he didn’t chip enough on the defensive tackle, but then he just completely ignored his blocking assignment. That linebacker eventually assisted in the the tackle. if anyone’s into watching the replays, just watch this in slo mo and you will be amazed. (Bradford had no idea what was behind him), and if Washington had moved the DT inside enough, (mang completed his kick out), his block would’ve sprung a huge run, and he completely inexplicably does not even try. If we truly have a professional offensive line coach who is focused on attention to detail, this effort cannot be tolerated.

There were other things that were not on the offensive line at all, but at game speed looked like they were. you really need to watch the tape.

At the 7:10 mark of the third period we are inside the 10 yard line. We run a formation that we ALWAYS run out of. In this case, the receiver Hatcher is tight on the offensive line, thus there is a DB opposite him. I think because this is on tape that we always run from this, the DB immediately runs to the backfield and tracks down LQA from behind. When watching it, hatcher totally whiffs on his block. In the first period right before our first touchdown, we run the same formation and this time Meeks whiffs on the block and again the DB tracks down LQA In the backfield.

these are the things that Dino never cleaned up. I hope our new staffs attention to detail identifies these easily fixable problems, and puts people in place that are willing blockers.

also paid attention to Gadsden, who was a good and willing blocker all game long.

Last edited:
Yesterday I looked at a lot of things. It’s definitely a mix of both. I saw a few times where I think the blocking schemes were requiring more speed and athleticism of then our line has. Which is not to say it’s necessarily bad coaching, but bad execution of what was coached..

if someone could share with me how to post a picture. I can’t post a screenshot to illustrate this.

In the 24 minute condensed game replay, at the one minute mark, 1st qtr, we had what looked to be total incompetence on the offensive line. it looked like their DT just blew up Reed and Bradford. I had to watch it in slow motion three or four times just to figure out what we were trying to do. It was a good scheme vs 4-2 D, if we could’ve executed.. Reed goes right to the second level and does not touch the DT And blocks one of the two linebackers in a 4-2 look. Bradford chips on the DT and passes him off to Washington (who does not get there quick enough) and the defensive tackle blows up the play . (Mang comes across to kick out Washington’s DE). Bradford goes to the second level and if you watch in slow Mo, you will see Bradford run right up to the LB and then RUNS RIGHT BY HIM. It was bad enough he didn’t chip enough on the defensive tackle, but then he just completely ignored his blocking assignment. That linebacker eventually assisted in the the tackle. if anyone’s into watching the replays, just watch this in slo mo and you will be amazed. (Bradford had no idea what was behind him), and if Washington had moved the DT inside enough, (mang completed his kick out), his block would’ve sprung a huge run, and he completely inexplicably does not even try. If we truly have a professional offensive line coach who is focused on attention to detail, this effort cannot be tolerated.

There were other things that were not on the offensive line at all, but at game speed looked like they were. you really need to watch the tape.

At the 7:10 mark of the third period we are inside the 10 yard line. We run a formation that we ALWAYS run out of. In this case, the receiver Hatcher is tight on the offensive line, thus there is a DB opposite him. I think because this is on tape that we always run from this, the DB immediately runs to the backfield and tracks down LQA from behind. When watching it, hatcher totally whiffs on his block. In the first period right before our first touchdown, we run the same formation and this time Meeks whiffs on the block and again the DB tracks down LQA In the backfield.

these are the things that Dino never cleaned up. I hope our new staffs attention to detail identifies these easily fixable problems, and puts people in place that are willing blockers.

also paid attention to Gadsden, who was a good and willing blocker all game long.
Odd that you mostly singled out Bradford and he had the highest PFF Grade of the entire OL.

Odd that you mostly singled out Bradford and he had the highest PFF Grade of the entire OL.
The way I read it, 1:00 mark of the condensed highlights, probably the first wut? moment he saw and started looking there.

I didn’t necessarily single out Bradford, (I was focused on looking at plays that resulted in TFL, and that was one of the three or four). The receiver issues on first and goal were the others. I just remembered that it looked like a play where we got our FBS center and guard blown up by one FCS tackle. So I wanted to see what really happened. Watching the play breakdown, what happened was clear. they weren’t blown up. We did not execute. Other as others have said, and I would likely agree, Bradford and Petry are probably playing because they’re the best options that we have.

I was just answering the question if others thought it was coaching or Ability, and I would say in my humble opinion that the scheme and coaching was good/has been good, but the execution wasn’t. Those are the kinds of plays that Derrick Henry took for a touchdown this week because there was a hat on every defender. Attention to detail is often the difference between a 3 yard run and a 50 yard touchdown.

I really think our fanbase is way harder on this team this year for some reason.

Just makes no sense.

We aren’t Alabama or Georgia despite what some think around here.

Yea we’re recruiting at a higher clip but it’s still not even close to the “haves” in college football
The expectations are not aligned with reality. We're "up to" 36th in the country in recruiting and 7th in the ACC on Scout after the Florida DB flipped back. Trending in the right direction, but we have a long way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom