Personnel in 2022-23 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Personnel in 2022-23

That one time exception to transfer and not sit out a year hasn’t been approved, and I don’t think it will be. Everyone keeps making that assumption but I think it’s unfounded. I think coaches are going to continue to push back on that because it was such a weird year with Covid and many teams (like us) couldn’t get into a rhythm.

Also, lol, we’re not going to lose both of our starting forwards AND both of their backups (Woody and Braswell). That’s a crazy notion.

If Woody isn't happy with our head coach, his decision to depart wouldn't be tied to the availability of playing time or a starting role -- it would be to escape JB.

For the record, I never said that we are going to lose 7 players this offseason. But it is alarming that there are more than 7 player situations to pay attention to this offseason, which will affect next year's roster.

You can "lol" all you want, but the notion is not far fetched that we could lose upwards of 5+ players this offseason. At all. Doesn't mean that is how it will work out, but it sure as hell isn't "crazy."

And as outlined above, the vote has gotten delayed repeatedly, and isn't off the table. If it doesn't get passed, that will inhibit player movement. If it does get passed, then it opens a huge can of worms, which isn't a good thing given some of the back office dynamics on our team, and some things that are rumored to be in-flight.

Last edited:
TBH the transfer pushing for our own guys needs to stop if we are ever going to get better. Seems like every year we are pushing guys out at a higher rate. I also don't agree with the eagerness people have of pushing Girard out. We used to be good because we had elite talent sprinkled around 4 year guys. He can have a role on the team if used correctly.

TBH the transfer pushing for our own guys needs to stop if we are ever going to get better. Seems like every year we are pushing guys out at a higher rate. I also don't agree with the eagerness people have of pushing Girard out. We used to be good because we had elite talent sprinkled around 4 year guys. He can have a role on the team if used correctly.
You think the staff is pushing kids out? They want to play. Unfortunately a 6.5 man rotation is not appealing

You think the staff is pushing kids out? They want to play. Unfortunately a 6.5 man rotation is not appealing
Washington wanted PT and not be a bench piece he was recruited for.
Carey transferred when he got benched and used the injury to protect a year of eligibility.
Goodine didn’t want to sit and he left.
The staff didn’t want to lose Goodine.

Guys aren’t exactly getting pushed out but they are realizing they want to move on.

A guy like Chino might have been told by the staff it would be for the best to leave but he literally did nothing in 3 years here.

In some cases the fans seem eager to see guys leave and in other cases I think coaching indirectly has forced it to happen.

It wasn’t that long ago that JB actually played a bench. Why were we able to find 20 mpg for Keita and even 15 mpg for Sid as a freshman, yet we can’t play any of our centers now? I still am befuddled how Edwards looked solid against Miami a month ago and basically hasn’t been in a game since.

Last edited:
He won't. Frank, JBA, or any other 5, no comment.
Going to interesting next year. Year 3 for JE (he is not ready?), Year 3 for Akok (he is not ready?), Year 2 for Frank (he should be in HS) why did we take him? So either we cut bait, go after a transfer, bring in a stud Freshman. If BS stays we still need a proven backup and cant gobble up five roster spots with centers as we also need another 2G.

Washington wanted PT and not be a bench piece he was recruited for.
Carey transferred when he got benched and used the injury to protect a year of eligibility.
Goodine didn’t want to sit and he left.
The staff didn’t want to lose Goodine.

Guys aren’t exactly getting pushed out but they are realizing they want to move on.

A guy like Chino might have been told by the staff it would be for the best to leave but he literally did nothing in 3 years here.
Another recent flop was Kaleb, combo.

Well... if Woody returns, then I'd expect him to start at the 4 [I personally expect Quincy to be gonezo]. That's a heck of a nucleus, and way more athletic than our current starting lineup.
He’s gotten garbage time once in 2 months, why would he start next year? Come on man, you know coach.

And now can't play at Rhode Island. And Goodine certainly hasn't set the world on fire at P.C..
Carey has been reallyyyy bad at URI. He’s a walking turnover and can’t finish even against lower competition. Their fans are done with him. I think he ends up at a MAAC or NEC school.

He’s gotten garbage time once in 2 months, why would he start next year? Come on man, you know coach.

Because:
  1. He's a natural power forward
  2. If Quincy leaves, he's the best suited to fill that role given how next year's roster shapes up
  3. He looked great during the first month or so of the season, before he got COVID [allegedly]
  4. I really don't want to see a combo of Buddy / Benny at forward
  5. He's pretty good, and would make for a helluva athletic tandem at forward with our new 5-star
  6. I don't want to see Benny's 1 year in Orange wasted having him try to be an undersized 4
Of course, it's all probably moot, as JB won't remove Girard from the starting lineup, making us smaller, slower, and less athletic, and forcing Buddy to 3.

In some cases the fans seem eager to see guys leave and in other cases I think coaching indirectly has forced it to happen.

It wasn’t that long ago that JB actually played a bench. Why were we able to find 20 mpg for Keita and even 15 mpg for Sid as a freshman, yet we can’t play any of our centers now? I still am befuddled how Edwards looked solid against Miami a month ago and basically hasn’t been in a game since.
I think it's the frustration we all have that we see other programs on our level with getting players who can immediately impact from day 1. Like Texas Tech and Alabama should never have players better then ours or can play from day 1 (of course, local ones I get and the $$ game) but that's where I think all of us say...HE ISN'T ACC MATERIAL or he sucks or blah blah blah

And now can't play at Rhode Island. And Goodine certainly hasn't set the world on fire at P.C..
Yep. In all honesty, all of our transfers out of the program...90% of them never light it up for the next program. Obviously BJ was an exception and I feel he would have done that here if he would have redshirted that year...but we might have to go into the 90s on an impact transfer out of syracuse? That's saying a lot

Because:
  1. He's a natural power forward
  2. If Quincy leaves, he's the best suited to fill that role given how next year's roster shapes up
  3. He looked great during the first month or so of the season, before he got COVID [allegedly]
  4. I really don't want to see a combo of Buddy / Benny at forward
  5. He's pretty good, and would make for a helluva athletic tandem at forward with our new 5-star
  6. I don't want to see Benny's 1 year in Orange wasted having him try to be an undersized 4
Of course, it's all probably moot, as JB won't remove Girard from the starting lineup, making us smaller, slower, and less athletic, and forcing Buddy to 3.
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying about Woody as a player, I’m disagreeing based on the coaching.

I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying about Woody as a player, I’m disagreeing based on the coaching.
Agreed. Trying to think of a guy who racked up DNP-CD’s for months and then started the next year.

Seems like if he was in the plans, he’d at least be getting some time.

In 2 years we literally could have none of the players or coaches from this years team except for Frank.

Assuming Buddy, Jimmy and JB ride out together after next year.
JG3 is not staying to be a 15 mpg player (he is my pick for leaving after this year).
Kadary will improve and with his age he leaves after next year.
Jesse and Jon move on and Marek and Sid are obviously gone.
Benny is one and done (ready or not)
Q and AG move on this year (one by choice and one by subtle request).
Woody leaves this year and Braswell is obviously gone.
Red and Griff and gmac obviously carry the stain of this program falling down a few notches and are not part of the new regime.

Total roster and staff overhaul in two years and frankly I'm ready for it.
Why do you have so many young guys moving on? Jesse and Jon? Sid stayed, why not both of these two. Braswell said he considered leaving but decided to stay because he liked it at SU. His playing time is reported because of leg pain and he's getting more. If it is a leg problem, where is he going? Woody stated well and his drop in pt is a mystery but what proof is it that he is in the dog house? That's supposition. Most of your comments is pure speculation based on guys not getting paying.

BJ Johnson moved on as well... wow we have had a lot of people come and go lately ... not a recipe for success clearly

I decided to look this up, because it's been bugging me, and as I've gone through it all, fair warning, I've gotten angrier.

So against Miami the dude plays 23 minutes and puts up a solid line of 7 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block. Seems like something to build off of.

WELL YOU'RE WRONG.

Because since then he's appeared in 3 games for a total of 5 minutes.

You know why I question JB's bench management?

Because the 2 minute stint against VPI, an opponent we beat that we didn't really need size for, mattered more for his playing time than the good he did when we were forced to give him some minutes. Remember, it probably wasn't a master plan for Edwards to play against Miami, Edwards came in because Marek got in bad foul trouble very early in that game.

Out of Edward's 10 appearances this season, 6 have been for 2 minutes or less (more on this in a little bit). What exactly is he supposed to show in such brief playing time, often outside of the competitive game flow when the result is pretty much already decided? The dude isn't getting chances. Outside of Miami, he has three shot attempts on the season. Three (3). And this from a guy that last season connected on 19 of 24 shot attempts, or 79%(!).

Which brings me to how little sense this year's numbers make when compared to his playing time last season. I checked it out, want to guess how many games he played in last season? I promise you won't believe it.

So last season, with a healthy Sidibe, and minutes also going to Marek at the 5, Edwards somehow found his way into the game with greater frequency than this season. Somehow as a true freshman with upperclassmen ahead of him he was more prepared to play than in his second year? How is that possible? Really, how?

But it's not just that he got in the game more, he also played more once he was in. Six out of 10 appearances this season he's played 2 or fewer minutes. Last season, in 21 appearances he played 2 or fewer minutes... 4 times. How does that make sense?

It's mind boggling. In a season when we had 2 players soaking up minutes at center, he somehow found a way to have really productive minutes - his per 40s were 13.8 points, 9.7 rebounds, 2.8 blocks, and 1.1 steals. THAT SOUNDS PRETTY FRICKING PROMISING FOR A GUY NEW TO COLLEGE HOOPS. And maybe sounds like a guy that when your senior center goes down with an injury 4 minutes into the first game, might be a dude that's worth investing some minutes in.

But nah, it's cool, we gassed Marek and threw in Frankie Anselem and Jon Bol Ajak for scrap minutes.

So, I really would like to know, what the Hell happened here? What was the plan with Edwards? Because this really doesn't make any sense, and I'm not content with any easy answers because they all indicate another problem elsewhere. Edwards regressed? How and why does that happen? Covid impacts? I'm just not sure I buy it.

If Woody isn't happy with our head coach, his decision to depart wouldn't be tied to the availability of playing time or a starting role -- it would be to escape JB.

For the record, I never said that we are going to lose 7 players this offseason. But it is alarming that there are more than 7 player situations to pay attention to this offseason, which will affect next year's roster.

You can "lol" all you want, but the notion is not far fetched that we could lose upwards of 5+ players this offseason. At all. Doesn't mean that is how it will work out, but it sure as hell isn't "crazy."

And as outlined above, the vote has gotten delayed repeatedly, and isn't off the table. If it doesn't get passed, that will inhibit player movement. If it does get passed, then it opens a huge can of worms, which isn't a good thing given some of the back office dynamics on our team, and some things that are rumored to be in-flight.
People are jumping to lots of conclusions about Woody “not being happy” and wanting to “escape” JB. What evidence is there of that? And if Q and Griff both decide to depart, why would Woody not stay and be our other starting forward? At the very least he’d be the key forward sub behind Bras and Benny. If he transfers he’ll likely have to sit out a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom