Perspective | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Perspective

Yup, I get the idea. You wear orange colored sun glasses and see hope in mediocrity. Stand back from the trees so you can see over the forest. It will be interesting to see how many loyal fans and media say the opposite if Babers doesn't turn this around in a year of two. There will be a lot of selective memory then. I hope Babers is successful but as your stockbroker says "Past Performance (10-2 season) is not Indicative of Future Performance". This is a results orientated world (especially college sport/pro sports). Fans vote thru their wallets and if the results aren't there the money isn't there. Winning = ticket sales, TV appearances, and alumni donations. That's the bottom line. Can Baber's deliver ? How much time is enough time ? The next year or two will determine that. He he does; Great...If he doesn't then we've wasted 6 years.

I think from your post you actually won't be that happy if the team is successful next year

Yup, I get the idea. You wear orange colored sun glasses and see hope in mediocrity. Stand back from the trees so you can see over the forest. It will be interesting to see how many loyal fans and media say the opposite if Babers doesn't turn this around in a year of two. There will be a lot of selective memory then. I hope Babers is successful but as your stockbroker says "Past Performance (10-2 season) is not Indicative of Future Performance". This is a results orientated world (especially college sport/pro sports). Fans vote thru their wallets and if the results aren't there the money isn't there. Winning = ticket sales, TV appearances, and alumni donations. That's the bottom line. Can Baber's deliver ? How much time is enough time ? The next year or two will determine that. He he does; Great...If he doesn't then we've wasted 6 years.
I see that you can't read as well. Where in my post did I say anything about Dino Babers? You made the ridiculous comparison between Texas football and Syracuse football. Not me. If you think there are somewhat in the same orbit, I wonder how you are able to feed and dress yourself. They aren't. We have our world. And it does have to get better or we will get a new coach. But that has zero to do with whatever Texas does. You might be the only one that doesn't get that.

From what I've heard, the reason Alabama has been so successful for the last 15 years and Texas has not is because Saban has the Alabama boosters all working for him and his vision of the program, while Texas' boosters are broken into factions that run contrary to each other. The Sark hire is interesting because it may be an effort by Texas to replicate how Saban gets it done.
When I was reading stuff following the coaching change at Auburn, I read something about Nick Saban telling the powers at Alabama, "If I take the job, keep the boosters out if my way or I'll make this expensive for you." That's probably the biggest difference. He has the power to put the boosters in their place.

Wait. You are really comparing Syracuse football with Texas football. Do I have that right? I will say this, Syracuse football is closer to Texas football than you are to a college football fan that has one ounce of common college football sense. U of Texas has their own football network. They have a fantastic hotbed of prospects in their state. It is like comparing the prettiest girl in your school to the best looking actress in the world. Or the smartest kid in your school to the smartest person in the world. Or the best athlete in your school to the best athlete in the world. Get the idea?
I see that you can't read as well. Where in my post did I say anything about Dino Babers? You made the ridiculous comparison between Texas football and Syracuse football. Not me. If you think there are somewhat in the same orbit, I wonder how you are able to feed and dress yourself. They aren't. We have our world. And it does have to get better or we will get a new coach. But that has zero to do with whatever Texas does. You might be the only one that doesn't get that.

Is that what he is really doing? I didn't necessarily interpret his post so much mano a mano as much as one of causality. In any event, the tone of your posts, along with some others in this thread is interesting. So much for the premise here of 'disagreeing without being disagreeable.' I imagine he (as most are) is here first and foremost as a diehard of SU sports, ultimately desiring nothing more than for Syracuse University to be successful.

I can only presume that your grade school analogy & ensuing condescension provides you with some sort of needed fulfillment. Otherwise, I find it difficult and seek to understand what your motivation here is?

Is that what he is really doing? I didn't necessarily interpret his post so much mano a mano as much as one of causality. In any event, the tone of your posts, along with some others in this thread is interesting. So much for the premise here of 'disagreeing without being disagreeable.' I imagine he (as most are) is here first and foremost as a diehard of SU sports, ultimately desiring nothing more than for Syracuse University to be successful.

I can only presume that your grade school analogy & ensuing condescension provides you with some sort of needed fulfillment. Otherwise, I find it difficult and seek to understand what your motivation here is?
Sorry. I just wasn't quick enough to add to the conversation the comparison of the school colors. You might read his comments to me where he said that I was rooting for the Orange with orange colored glasses and that I hope for mediocrity. You must have missed that. Or that I didn't refer to Babers at all. Not once. But please, go on . Very entertaining.

Hey, what happened to my like?

Sorry. I just wasn't quick enough to add to the conversation the comparison of the school colors. You might read his comments to me where he said that I was rooting for the Orange with orange colored glasses and that I hope for mediocrity. You must have missed that. Or that I didn't refer to Babers at all. Not once. But please, go on . Very entertaining.

Hey, what happened to my like?

You could've, and perhaps should have, taken his "orange color glasses," etc. remark with a grain of salt. And, he didn't say that you hope for mediocrity, but that you see hope in mediocrity. Semantics/nuance perhaps, but there's a difference. Additionally, he didn't actually say that you made a particular Babers reference, however, you didn't have to since it's obvious that he's the current active Syracuse coach with the less than mediocre overall record to date.

You kept editing your post afterwards. I liked your first sentence when that was all your post was, as I got a chuckle out of it.

You could've, and perhaps should have, taken his "orange color glasses," etc. remark with a grain of salt. And, he didn't say that you hope for mediocrity, but that you see hope in mediocrity. Semantics/nuance perhaps, but there's a difference. Additionally, he didn't actually say that you made a particular Babers reference, however, you didn't have to since it's obvious that he's the current active Syracuse coach with the less than mediocre overall record to date.

You kept editing your post afterwards. I liked your first sentence when that was all your post was, as I got a chuckle out of it.
I didn't actually edit it. By mistake, I hit send before I meant to. But..I gave you a like so we are even. Oh, and I thought his first post was ridiculous. And as it turned out, I wasn't alone.

Thanks for the indemnity. :)

FWIW, I didn't take issue relative to what you thought of his post, as much as the manner in which you specifically chose to respond. It's obviously apparent you weren't alone, however, you were really the only one whose comments were more personal and belittling. Perhaps, one other with his "stop being a hack" comment was unnecessary, but it wasn't nearly as aggressive as you portrayed. Again, as each here are seemingly diehards of SU sports, and its success being the driving force of one's ultimate motivation, we can disagree without being disagreeable. Peace.

wait, we’re not seeing hope in mediocrity? has anyone been paying attention for the last 20 years

Im still waiting for anyone to prove the original poster wrong on the perspective (a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view. ) of Texas Football vs Syracuse football? The attack dogs came out and ripped him and called him dumb for daring to compare and even questioned his being a fan. Yet you all proved his point. There is a totally different ( a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view. ) between Texas fans, The schools in general totally different. They didnt think a guy who won at a rate that people here would be giddy over was worth keeping. They play big boy football and have a big boy attitude about it. It doesnt matter how or why they just do. It only matters that they play big boy football and want to be one of the big boys in it period. All the other stuff is just fluff and doesnt matter .

The original poster is correct on the perspective of Texas football vs Syracuse footbnall and all the reasons for it dont matter its a fact and not disputable. It doesnt mean he is not a fan or he is dumb or deserves some of the crackpot holier than though comments. Take a chill pill its the new year some of the attack dogs need a better perspective on things .
While your busy ripping me for defending him ill be working on my perspective on whether a set of squats or a straight legs kickbacks are better for the appearance of my butt

Im still waiting for anyone to prove the original poster wrong on the perspective (a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view. ) of Texas Football vs Syracuse football? The attack dogs came out and ripped him and called him dumb for daring to compare and even questioned his being a fan. Yet you all proved his point. There is a totally different ( a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view. ) between Texas fans, The schools in general totally different. They didnt think a guy who won at a rate that people here would be giddy over was worth keeping. They play big boy football and have a big boy attitude about it. It doesnt matter how or why they just do. It only matters that they play big boy football and want to be one of the big boys in it period. All the other stuff is just fluff and doesnt matter .

The original poster is correct on the perspective of Texas football vs Syracuse footbnall and all the reasons for it dont matter its a fact and not disputable. It doesnt mean he is not a fan or he is dumb or deserves some of the crackpot holier than though comments. Take a chill pill its the new year some of the attack dogs need a better perspective on things .
While your busy ripping me for defending him ill be working on my perspective on whether a set of squats or a straight legs kickbacks are better for the appearance of my butt
Without stating it he clearly thinks, using Texas as the measuring stick, that Babers should be fired. That we are essentially bad because we don't demand more the way Texas fans, alumni, and boosters do. Plenty of people have explained why that position is stupid.

The things that elevate Texas to “big boy football” are either out of our control (state school, own network, alumni base, instate recruiting, booster money, etc) or not enviable (firing good coaches, large payouts, booster meddling).

The only route to sustainable success here is slow, methodical, and patient. If we determine that Dino can’t get it done, Wildhack will have a chance to take a shot in a different direction. But it won’t be a quick fix...

because we‘re not Texas

I will never understand why it bothers so many on here the amount of a buyout. Texas doesn't care about paying the buyout at all. Its just a cost that they can afford for hiring a coach unable to perform at their level. That level is winning a championship. Auburn and another 2 dozen schools feel the same way. There are a few other coaches who will be paid buyouts this year, and I'll hear the same responses. I would love to give a coach his pink slip with Herman's record, it would mean we were bigtime.

I will never understand why it bothers so many on here the amount of a buyout. Texas doesn't care about paying the buyout at all. Its just a cost that they can afford for hiring a coach unable to perform at their level. That level is winning a championship. Auburn and another 2 dozen schools feel the same way. There are a few other coaches who will be paid buyouts this year, and I'll hear the same responses. I would love to give a coach his pink slip with Herman's record, it would mean we were bigtime.
You’re right that Texas doesn’t care, because most the salary and the buyout money is paid by the boosters anyway accordingly to the interview I heard this morning. Which is also not a Syracuse problem.

It would bother me as an alumnus of Syracuse University if we paid tens of millions of dollars to buy out the contract of a football coach because football is not the mission of the university and it projects the appearance of wasteful excess.

Tom Herman: 32-18 after 4 seasons

Dino Babers: 23-26 after 4 seasons, 24-36 after 5 season
Difference ????? Does Texas have higher standards ??? More money from alumni to pay Herman's buyout ???

I'm sure the eternal optimists on this forum will be posting all the excuses and "wait till next year". After all they have been doing it since Coach P, Marrone, Shafer, and now Babers. Optimistism ??? That's why SU fans in October start looking forward to SU basketball and SU Lacrosse.
I am sure if alum such as yourself pony up the buyout money and the money for the new contracts, SU would be happy to oblige.

New York Times, Ohio State athletics in 2019 generated 230 million dollars, of which 185 million came from football. They go after that gold mine of money as do the other "big boys". It's not guaranteed to them. It's a billion dollar business, not collegiate sports.

Syracuse could go 0-12 with Babers next year and still your comparison to this Texas situation makes 0 sense. None. Literally no connection at all.

It’s a waste of money (money that should be used to pay the players), contributes to the lack of accountability by boosters, enables rich boosters to hijack and run over the mission of the school sometimes to the detriment of the students, etc

It’s emblematic of what’s wrong with the sport - the corrosive erosion of money on a system that never imagined itself beholden to random 3rd parties “playing” sudo-owner.

If that’s big time, I’m happy we’re not it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom