Perspective | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Perspective

It’s a waste of money (money that should be used to pay the players), contributes to the lack of accountability by boosters, enables rich boosters to hijack and run over the mission of the school sometimes to the detriment of the students, etc

It’s emblematic of what’s wrong with the sport - the corrosive erosion of money on a system that never imagined itself beholden to random 3rd parties “playing” sudo-owner.

If that’s big time, I’m happy we’re not it

Syracuse is a university that runs a historically successful football program. I'm very glad that the Newhouses, Whitmans, Carnegies have devoted cash to making the school a better academic operation than a shrill for college sports in such a frankensteinian manner. You don't want to be Texas. If you do, then by all means go root for them. I went to Syracuse so my motives are that the school as a whole succeeds, in the classroom and on the field.

I love Syracuse sports. Live for them really in a way that i'm sometimes ashamed of because it's college kids playing sports. But i'm REALLY glad the school has some degree of perspective with the operation in relation to the reason Syracuse exists (to educate).

The University of Texas is the flagship state school in a football crazy state that by itself has the 10th largest economy in the world.

SU is a private university in a large state that cares about pro football if it cares at all.

Ive seen conversations on this subject for years here. Responses from fans on a message boards is not going to effect the people who make those decisions. We all want to win and we all know the challenges SU faces. Stating the reasons why we are not in the same league as Texas has nothing to do with a fan's mindset. Every SU fan would love to be able to pooch great coaches and buy out contracts if they win less than 9 games lol.

The University of Texas is the flagship state school in a football crazy state that by itself has the 10th largest economy in the world.

SU is a private university in a large state that cares about pro football if it cares at all.

if we want to try and sustain what we consider "success" we need to find a 10-20 year coach IMO. The stability will be our secret sauce. 8 win seasons are OK for our football machinery and it allows coaches to build recruiting networks and a system that works.

on that note, we should all root that Dino is the 10-15 year type guy here.

It’s a waste of money (money that should be used to pay the players), contributes to the lack of accountability by boosters, enables rich boosters to hijack and run over the mission of the school sometimes to the detriment of the students, etc

It’s emblematic of what’s wrong with the sport - the corrosive erosion of money on a system that never imagined itself beholden to random 3rd parties “playing” sudo-owner.

They sure don't consider it a waste of money. I'm all for paying players and Texas surely already does. You didn't move the goalposts but certainly the yardage marker. I also believe in some of that Ivy League thinking but it won't change.

They sure don't consider it a waste of money. I'm all for paying players and Texas surely already does. You didn't move the goalposts but certainly the yardage marker. I also believe in some of that Ivy League thinking but it won't change.

You asked what the problem with buyouts is. I answered with my opinion. I don’t see how it changes either - doesn’t mean I’m for it

Ive seen conversations on this subject for years here. Responses from fans on a message boards is not going to effect the people who make those decisions. We all want to win and we all know the challenges SU faces. Stating the reasons why we are not in the same league as Texas has nothing to do with a fan's mindset. Every SU fan would love to be able to pooch great coaches and buy out contracts if they win less than 9 games lol.

Indeed. Although, it's not just the fans that want to win, the powers that be do too. It's why all the efforts have been made with upgraded resources, facilities, etc., especially since the ACC invite and the ensuing win fall it provided the university. But everything is relative in the realm, and the fact is, Syracuse doesn't act like the labeled "big boy" schools simply because it can't as it doesn't have the means to. If folks want to find solace, pride, what have you, by rationalizing how the school operating the way it does has better "perspective," etc. so be it, but it's simply their own justification.

I wonder how many here don't look at themselves in the mirror and see all the irony in their good fortune. How much time they are able to spend sitting in front of their multiple computers, devices, etc. to post here as much as they do. How many TV's they have in their household, how often they go out to dinner, vacations, second home, number of vehicles, boats, RV's, etc., etc. I'm sure there are many less fortunate, from their perspective, that would consider this lifestyle 'excess.' Perhaps, merely a variance in degree of?

In the end, it's all relative simply to one's/an entity's circumstances based upon the means and resources available.

Indeed. Although, it's not just the fans that want to win, the powers that be do too. It's why all the efforts have been made with upgraded resources, facilities, etc., especially since the ACC invite and the ensuing win fall it provided the university. But everything is relative in the realm, and the fact is, Syracuse doesn't act like the labeled "big boy" schools simply because it can't as it doesn't have the means to. If folks want to find solace, pride, what have you, by rationalizing how the school operating the way it does has better "perspective," etc. so be it, but it's simply their own justification.

I wonder how many here don't look at themselves in the mirror and see all the irony in their good fortune. How much time they are able to spend sitting in front of their multiple computers, devices, etc. to post here as much as they do. How many TV's they have in their household, how often they go out to dinner, vacations, second home, number of vehicles, boats, RV's, etc., etc. I'm sure there are many less fortunate, from their perspective, that would consider this lifestyle 'excess.' Perhaps, merely a variance in degree of?

In the end, it's all relative simply to one's/an entity's circumstances based upon the means and resources available.
That was the point of my post. When I said "the people that make those decisions" that means the school has to make the effort. Not us

Pay the players, remove scholarships, report the income, have the players pay for school, give more scholarships to non-revenue sports

There is no way I fire a coach who won 10 games in the modern era in THIS job. Very few can do that.

Anyone who would is a clown and should be mocked and laughed at.

Dino has 2 more years from me before I even think about it no matter how bad.

My only gripe is that our WRs are so bad that most of them couldn't get a roster spot at an FCS school and Dino should have known this a year ago and did nothing. I want everyone other than Taj off the roster and 6-7 new guys from the portal they are that bad.

Tom Herman: 32-18 after 4 seasons

Dino Babers: 23-26 after 4 seasons, 24-36 after 5 season
Difference ????? Does Texas have higher standards ??? More money from alumni to pay Herman's buyout ???

I'm sure the eternal optimists on this forum will be posting all the excuses and "wait till next year". After all they have been doing it since Coach P, Marrone, Shafer, and now Babers. Optimistism ??? That's why SU fans in October start looking forward to SU basketball and SU Lacrosse.

Attachments

• CFAD7C22-6F26-4CF8-8DB0-C6FDC2F717CC.png
    CFAD7C22-6F26-4CF8-8DB0-C6FDC2F717CC.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 136
Tom Herman: 32-18 after 4 seasons

Dino Babers: 23-26 after 4 seasons, 24-36 after 5 season
Difference ????? Does Texas have higher standards ??? More money from alumni to pay Herman's buyout ???

I'm sure the eternal optimists on this forum will be posting all the excuses and "wait till next year". After all they have been doing it since Coach P, Marrone, Shafer, and now Babers. Optimistism ??? That's why SU fans in October start looking forward to SU basketball and SU Lacrosse.
Texas traded a coach with a better winning percentage and won every bowl for a coach with a worse winning percentage and is 50/50 in bowls games.

Is that your idea higher standards?

And speak for yourself as looking forward in October

Im still waiting for anyone to prove the original poster wrong on the perspective (a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view. ) of Texas Football vs Syracuse football? The attack dogs came out and ripped him and called him dumb for daring to compare and even questioned his being a fan. Yet you all proved his point. There is a totally different ( a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view. ) between Texas fans, The schools in general totally different. They didnt think a guy who won at a rate that people here would be giddy over was worth keeping. They play big boy football and have a big boy attitude about it. It doesnt matter how or why they just do. It only matters that they play big boy football and want to be one of the big boys in it period. All the other stuff is just fluff and doesnt matter .

The original poster is correct on the perspective of Texas football vs Syracuse footbnall and all the reasons for it dont matter its a fact and not disputable. It doesnt mean he is not a fan or he is dumb or deserves some of the crackpot holier than though comments. Take a chill pill its the new year some of the attack dogs need a better perspective on things .
While your busy ripping me for defending him ill be working on my perspective on whether a set of squats or a straight legs kickbacks are better for the appearance of my butt
Tom Herman is 54-22 and 5-0 in bowl games, Steve Sark is 47-35 and 2-2 in bowl games. One might say Texas wasn’t exactly going for the gold with this hire

Sark has two things that Texas covets. He has worked with Saban and maybe has discovered the secret sauce to sustain excellence and national title contention that UT wants in the worse way. In addition, Sark is a younger offensive mind who they hope can offer a counter to their rival Oklahoma's HC Lincoln Riley. The key will be Sarks ability to leverage both of these and make good on what they aspire. Sark took over a Washington program that had cratered under Ty Willingham. He brought it back to respectability. Peterson took the program to the next level. We all know what happened at USC for Sark. So hopefully Sark has learned from his past mistakes and is ready to take the knowledge he acquired in Coaching career rehab with Saban and also has enough tricks to implement an offense that will bring Texas to the promised land.

Actually who cares about Texas. GO ORANGE

Pay the players, remove scholarships, report the income, have the players pay for school, give more scholarships to non-revenue sports
The death of SU football:
Pay the players
Charge them tuition
Try to convince them they're here to be students
Pay them some more
Get out of being a minor league franchise

Pay the players
Charge them tuition
Pay them some more
Why isn’t our QB playing this Saturday?

oh, he missed his October tuition payment.

Pay the players
Charge them tuition
Pay them some more
FYI, SU football died long ago.
Colleges should really not be the minor leagues. The should be educational institutions , first and foremost.
Pay a kid $100k, and get back $70k in cost of attendance. Kids want to be employees, make them employees.

Why isn’t our QB playing this Saturday?

oh, he missed his October tuition payment.
Which means he’s not enrolled, so he is ineligible anyway. Next argument

Which means he’s not enrolled, so he is ineligible anyway. Next argument
Well, jokes on you. I didn’t go to college cuz I’s is stupid and don’t know how it works!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom