Petro Done at Johns Hopkins / Peter Milliman hired | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Petro Done at Johns Hopkins / Peter Milliman hired

Not surprised Shay turned it down. Alberici is a surprise offer and I'm even more surprised he turned it down.

Hard to just get up and abandon the Army lax team at a moments notice. Working at west point isn't your average head coaching gig. Besides army is about a FOGO/replacement for Johnny Surdick away from having a brighter future than Hopkins.

Hopkins looking to fill the spot by May 1st. Already offered it to Shay and Alberici without interviewing them, both turned it down.

Not even a zoom call? That is very surprising. Looks like they aren't very concerned about keeping it "in the family" if those were their first two calls. Can't blame them for wanting to move quickly, they didn't even put an interim coach in charge so you have a roster of players with no one to answer to in uncertain times. That can't be good. Imagine Hopkins could really clean up with amount of Ivy League players in the transfer portal and a good recruiting class coming in. With the right coach they could turn things around quickly. Of course if they don't have anyone manning the steering wheel who knows where it ends up.

Seriously amateur hour. what terrible timing for this “mutual decision“ fire him. No plan in the works and you can’t bring candidates to campus to interview or meet the team. Recruits are rudderless and the same with current players. i hate Hopkins but this is a lesson in how not to handle it.

I ha
Ty Xanders noted he was speechless on twitter after seeing Petro was essentially let go. I know he's a Petro/Hopkins guy but if he was really speechless I have to wonder where he has been the last half decade. The writing has been on the wall for years now and that fanbase was basically on the verge of revolting.
I have found that fan base to be revolting for years.

Desko has to be the longest serving coach at the same institution by a long shot. Shay might be second at YALE, tierney at denver?

Desko has to be the longest serving coach at the same institution by a long shot. Shay might be second at YALE, tierney at denver?

Kevin Corrigan at Notre Dame since 1988-89.
Greg Cannella at UMass since 1994-95
John Desko since 1998-99
Scott Marr at UAlbany since 2000-01
Shay at Yale since 2003-04
Tierney has only been at Denver since 2009-10

If you're counting years spent as an assistant coach, you're on your own. ;)

Last edited:
Greg Cannella has been at UMass since 1994-95
Then Desko since 1998-99
Scott Marr at UAlbany since 2000-01
Shay at Yale since 2003-04
Tierney has only been at Denver since 2009-10
Thanks!

Point is, if it were solely about "caring", there would be a lot of great coaches on this forum alone.

Sometimes things just run their course.
1587387301124.gif

Point is, if it were solely about "caring", there would be a lot of great coaches on this forum alone.

Sometimes things just run their course. View attachment 179990

Yeah if just want someone to care, I'll be the coach. Actually I don't care about Johns Hopkins lacrosse so I guess I am out.

Hopkins alum here. I have some good stories about me wearing SU gear around the athletic facilities (I played a different sport at JHU). Orange "Let's Go Orange", Nike swoosh, "Syracuse Basketball" etc. logos. Petro was actually pretty cool about it and would always chat me up about Syracuse, SU lax, and some of the Cuse area HS players he recruited, including some of my HS friends.

Hopkins alum here. I have some good stories about me wearing SU gear around the athletic facilities (I played a different sport at JHU). Orange "Let's Go Orange", Nike swoosh, "Syracuse Basketball" etc. logos. Petro was actually pretty cool about it and would always chat me up about Syracuse, SU lax, and some of the Cuse area HS players he recruited, including some of my HS friends.
My son is a senior at JHU. I told him and Ms. Hoo's That that I would proudly wear my JHU Dad gear except during one particular weekend in March.

My son is a senior at JHU. I told him and Ms. Hoo's That that I would proudly wear my JHU Dad gear except during one particular weekend in March.
I actually got yelled at by some of the athletic trainers because I was wearing Syracuse gear in the training room one particular week in late May 2008... I'll let you guess which two teams were playing for the national title that week.

Newer AD caved in to the spoiled and whiny JHU alums/fanbase . A poor start in a shortened season doomed as the knives were out awaiting their chance to fatally stab Petramala. Fock the JHU gleeful, guy did much for that program yet doesn't get the benefit of a full season with his star back at full health.

Understand mgmt cycles and trends but everything also has to be viewed in proper context, Many JHU fans as well as some Cuse fans bury their heads into sands like ostriches denying that the landscape hasn't dramatically changed . Petramala kept Hopkins competitive despite a schedule that ducked no one.

70% win over twenty years with only ONE season below .500 which was 7-8 in 2010. Two good incoming classes that he recruited but will never coach.

Discarded during these times was bush league in my opinion

On the one hand it was probably a bad decision to get rid of him now given the instability of the present day, which I imagine would make some potential coaches wary about making a major change. On top of that you consider the advantage the big 10 has of already agreeing to honor scholarships for 5th year (would Cole Williams have left if Petro stayed?), and that they had yet another promising set of recruits coming in for 2020 and 21, all of which are now somewhat up in the air.

On the other hand things were bad, really bad, and pointing out that only one season actually got below 500 undersells how bad it's been for them. For instance they were only one game away from being below 500 in 2019, and only 2 games away in '16 and '17. Each of those years they got completely embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs. Thats 3 of the last 4 seasons being completely below a top lax school's standards, both in the regular season and the playoffs, and this year was almost 100% guaranteed to join them or be far worse, barring some miracle. Our fans were almost unanimous in calling for Desko's head after one 8-7 2018 year followed buy an embarrassing 2019 season opener. Imagine the outrage if our last 5 years looked like Hopkins? Every thread title would literally be something like "Hey the BVille varsity girls lax coach is pretty good why haven't we given him a call??"

Really really bad? Look at their schedules. Despite it they were 13-5 in 2018 and in 19 jelled late to beat Maryland twice while losing in b10 final to PSU in OT .
Bit disgraceful for their faithless to toss him in dumpster when the season was truncated and his star hindered
Sometimes fans gotta ride the waves or demand a softer schedule if they cant accept some bad losses and want a fancier won lost record

Cuse went 5-8 in 07 and then won two national championships in a row. All Im saying is he should have been given a full season to reverse or not.

Really really bad? Look at their schedules. Despite it they were 13-5 in 2018 and in 19 jelled late to beat Maryland twice while losing in b10 final to PSU in OT .
Bit disgraceful for their faithless to toss him in dumpster when the season was truncated and his star hindered
Sometimes fans gotta ride the waves or demand a softer schedule if they cant accept some bad losses and want a fancier won lost record

Cuse went 5-8 in 07 and then won two national championships in a row. All Im saying is he should have been given a full season to reverse or not.
2 wins against MD do not make up for getting blown out of the water by Towson, Loyola, Penn St., UVA, and ND. Clearly there was an upper echelon of teams last year and Hopkins was far from being a part of it.

2020 was probably meant to be that "full season to reverse." Yes he essentially lost his best offensive player unexpectedly (along with a vet middie in Concannon) and yes Rapine leaving may have been unexpected, but that is no excuse for losing 4 in a row decisively and getting blown out of the water on 3 of those occasions, and needing a complete miracle to beat Mount St. Mary's who was fresh off of only beating Utah by one goal, a program in its second year.

I would give him one more year but ONLY because of the instability of the present day. I imagine if it was Desko with results like petros, and they fired him now, there would be some debate but the majority of voices would be saying "timing not ideal, but it 100% had to happen and thank goodness they actually had the guts to do it."

Hopkins started this season without 2 offensive starters, Epstein and Concannon, also without 2nd line middie Keogh. This completely changed the dynamics of the team offensively. Not to mention the psychological aspect of losing those players. Epstein came back but was a shadow of what he was. I think the timing of the change was very poor considering what the Hop players are already dealing with.

Hopkins looking to fill the spot by May 1st. Already offered it to Shay and Alberici without interviewing them, both turned it down.

Saw this post referenced on another forum so I made an account here just to say that it's unequivocally not true. Shay and Alberici were not offered the job without an interview. They, along with a couple of others, were asked if they wanted to interview, to which they politely declined. No actual offers were made.

I live up near Geneva and am friendly with some people close to the Hobart program. The chatter from them is Raymond is much less likely to take the JHU job than Nadelen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom