Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be true. But there were a LOT of people that viewed him as a consolation prize when we landed him. Many questioned if he could compete in the ACC.
And people still die and I have no clue why. Anyone that watches basketball would realize that he is a floor general. He played very little but when he comes in you can see what he brings to the game. I have always thought he was much better then probably the majority of the people on here think he is and there was a few others that shared that belief with me. For some reason a lot of people think he isn't cut out for playing big time power 5 ball and I strongly disagree with that. Last article I'll post so we can get back to akok because I'm not sure how the thread turned so quickly but this one was from some of his season stats from montverde and some of his aau/Canada team games where we was pretty impressive. He played good competition and played alongside of some very good players. Hes no slouch like some like to think.
Insider: Howard Washington Jr. wants to help Butler immediately

I don't care what Washington's ranking was...it doesn't take long watching him play to see the amount of potential he has as a floor leader. We can talk all day long about landing the stud players, and yes we need them, but it's been proven that more often than not, every champion has an upperclassman just like HW!
Spot on!

This is in hindsight and the same thing applies to Howard Washington regarding his ranking due to being in Canada. He was ranked higher when in the states.

If we get a top 20 class on paper they could easily bust or not be ready to fully contribute as needed. We had 3 guys ready to contribute out of 4 this past year which absolutely is what you would expect with a top 20 class. What it really sounds like is you think we need a top 5 class if you are thinking we need a class far and above 2017. Reading between the lines here but top 20 is absolutely what we had this past year just a string of bad luck and a lack of experienced depth.
I don't expect a top 5 class. I do expect a top 20 class. It's debatable where the class of 2017 falls. Oshae was great. IMO we didn't see enough of Sidibe to assess him. It took until the end of the season before Marek was able to really contribute. We saw even less of Washington. I think it's unrealistic to call it a top 20 class, but I respect your right to think so.

And people still die and I have no clue why. Anyone that watches basketball would realize that he is a floor general. He played very little but when he comes in you can see what he brings to the game. I have always thought he was much better then probably the majority of the people on here think he is and there was a few others that shared that belief with me. For some reason a lot of people think he isn't cut out for playing big time power 5 ball and I strongly disagree with that. Last article I'll post so we can get back to akok because I'm not sure how the thread turned so quickly but this one was from some of his season stats from montverde and some of his aau/Canada team games where we was pretty impressive. He played good competition and played alongside of some very good players. Hes no slouch like some like to think.
Insider: Howard Washington Jr. wants to help Butler immediately
I never said he was a slouch. But we certainly didn't get to see enough of his game to say he was an elite recruit either. Yes, let's get back to Akok!

I never said he was a slouch. But we certainly didn't get to see enough of his game to say he was an elite recruit either.
Didnt say you did and I didnt say he was elite. I just know what the majority of posts about him on here have been and I strongly disagree with a lot of it. The kid can play. But that's just my opinion which means jack sheet! I hope we land Akok tho! Hes made to play in our system! (Back to akok)

I don't expect a top 5 class. I do expect a top 20 class. It's debatable where the class of 2017 falls. Oshae was great. IMO we didn't see enough of Sidibe to assess him. It took until the end of the season before Marek was able to really contribute. We saw even less of Washington. I think it's unrealistic to call it a top 20 class, but I respect your right to think so.

So then without names and recruiting rankings how do you define a top 20 class? If it's all recruiting rankings then I don't understand how something on paper makes us better vs the actual product. You are talking about two freshmen ( Sidibe did ok but wasn't healthy) who went toe to toe in the biggest game of the year vs the top class in the nation in the sweet 16. That's the kind of results you want right? At the end of the day results matter and paper opinions. I just don't get what you mean when you say a top 20 class. Given rankings are ambiguous. How do you define top 20?

Not beating you up here Jazz it's just you keep throwing out this top 20 class and then saying 2017 wasn't such class so the argument doesn't really make sense unless you are defining what top 20 equates to on the court. 2017 had top 20 like production last year, and should follow suit this year with the crew back to full health.

So then without names and recruiting rankings how do you define a top 20 class? If it's all recruiting rankings then I don't understand how something on paper makes us better vs the actual product. You are talking about two freshmen ( Sidibe did ok but wasn't healthy) who went toe to toe in the biggest game of the year vs the top class in the nation in the sweet 16. That's the kind of results you want right? At the end of the day results matter and paper opinions. I just don't get what you mean when you say a top 20 class. Given rankings are ambiguous. How do you define top 20?
Before a season starts the only thing we have to go by is the rankings.

This past year Syracuse played over their heads in the tournament and should be commended for it. JB's coaching in tournament games speaks for itself. They played very well in the sweet sixteen game against Duke.

But if you want me to call them a top 20 class when Marek didn't play well until the season ended, and Sidibe and Washington were hurt, I can't. I think we were lucky to get in the tournament. Oshae was great. He was underrated and I said so at the time.

What I'm saying about the 2019 class is that expecting a top 20 class shouldn't be asking for too much. I do value rankings. Out of high school they are the only measuring stick we have. I expect to out recruit the vast majority of the ACC. We're off sanctions, and we will have vacancies to fill. LGO!

Back to Akok!!! Y'all know you want some Akok! ;)

Last edited:
Class ratings don't mean nearly as much to me as filling needs. You get too many talented 3 or 2's and they just end up transferring in most cases or Jim has to play people out of position. I want talent...don't get me wrong, but the right talent at the right place and time.

IMO, Marik, Oshae and Sidibe were all top 50-75 players with Oshae ranking the highest in the 40's range, Sidibe seemed like a beast until the injury, so I would put him in the 50-75 range and Marik came on at the end and seemed to be around the same 50-75 range. With that being said, I would say that class would be around top 25-40. The '18 class will be around the same with Carey as this year's Oshae, Buddy this year's Marik, and Braswell being this year's Sidibe.

IMO, Marik, Oshae and Sidibe were all top 50-75 players with Oshae ranking the highest in the 40's range, Sidibe seemed like a beast until the injury, so I would put him in the 50-75 range and Marik came on at the end and seemed to be around the same 50-75 range. With that being said, I would say that class would be around top 25-40. The '18 class will be around the same with Carey as this year's Oshae, Buddy this year's Marik, and Braswell being this year's Sidibe.

It's possible... I will give you credit for writing your view and stating it as an opinion, rather than fact. Kudos!

I remember reading that he was going to or wanted to visit SU in early August. Any update with that?

That's a very hard question to answer. And there is no way to go back and plug a Porter Jr (to use your example) and know how the team would fair. The only measuring sticks we have are the rankings. Are they always right... of course not. But I'll take a top 100 kid over a kid outside the top 300 the majority of the time. The rankings are not meaningless.
The one absolute takeaway is we have a talented now experienced Marek again. And probably again and again. This is Nova style team building and I like it

The one absolute takeaway is we have a talented now experienced Marek again. And probably again and again. This is Nova style team building and I like it
I agree that we shouldn't recruit most 5 star guys (they're one and dones and most go to blue bloods) a la Nova. But I do think we can get a top 20 class with 4 star guys and high 3 star guys in the 75-200 range. I advocated for this a long time ago. I also think Marek will be much improved this year. Good post.

He won't make it out of his visit without a commitment

Speculation or some real fact here? Also I thought he was to visit this past weekend. Haven't heard a word the past few weeks on him. When is he visiting...

He won't make it out of his visit without a commitment

I really really hope your right, getting this kid would be huge for the program. A class with Goodine and Akok would be a monster step in the right direction. Hes the most important recruit right now, let's hope we can get him on board

Status
Not open for further replies.