Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... any info on the visit? How long is he staying? He initially said his pitt visit would be the 23rd, the release last night said it would be next weekend. Anyone know which is right?

He can stay here 48 hours according to NCAA rules so I think he would leave here the 22nd? I heard the Pitt visit was then as well.

He is on campus today, correct? Enjoying the sunshine and the alum energy?

Such a beautiful day. Think I’m going to go outside and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine as I read up on Akok and his visit to our balmy burg.

Campus should be buzzing for the game tomorrow. Can’t beat a fall weekend at a big time college sports university that competes at the highest level.

I have to think he will make a decision within a couple weeks of his last visits to us and pitt. Which would make the next few weeks very exciting times with guerrier on the 31st and if our insiders are to believed, Stewart wanting to make his call before Thanksgiving. Still think we could go 3 for 3... giving us a REALLY happy holidays.

Real picture:
AKOK.jpg

They did win a title in 2014. Just saying.
Both their titles in 2011 and 2014 were complete flukes. Mediocre teams that caught fire and lightning in a bottle at the exact right time. JB also got his Cuse teams to 3 national title games, just like Calhoun. The only difference is that we lost two of those games—and one was against an all-time great juggernaut Kentucky team (1996), the other one on a last second shot (1987). Winning two more title games doesn’t make you infinitely better than our program. The NCAA tourney can be a crapshoot and everyone knows it. Plus, 2010 was our team of national championship destiny, stopped only by Arinze’s injury. 2012, too, before Fab was ruled ineligible—though it would have been a dog fight to beat that stacked Kentucky team with Anthony Davis. I hope they enjoy life in the crappy AAC and all those faraway games against basketball powers Tulsa, Tulane and ECU.

That is such a stupid argument. They have won 3 titles since we last won, including 2 this decade. San Francisco won titles in the 50s. Yeah they are a mess right now, although they hired the hottest coaching candidate last year, who chose them over an ACC school. Let's see where they are in 5 years before we dig their grave. We haven't exactly been the model of consistency lately.

We end up looking dumb to other fan bases (most of all to them) when we say things like "I don't care about national titles, we get 20+ fans during the week." Bottom line is they have won 4. We have 1. Huge difference. I am sorry. I know we have been better for longer, but at the end of the day I look at championships. That is how programs are judged.

We have the massive advantage of the ACC versus the American. No doubt there. But I am the only one worried about our future? Our head coach is 73. What if our next hire turns out to be bad? Being in the ACC doesn't guarantee that your program sustains success (look at Pitt).
I'm guessing you're a pretty young kid and you aren't accustomed to seeing programs rise and fall. Houston, DePaul, UNLV etc... all had their runs and faded away. Just like UConn. We have been the better program for many decades but... here is the important part... we have the building blocks in place to remain relevant. They do not. You seem to have all your eggs in one very narrow basket as far as judging programs. And not one that means anything towards how programs will fare in the future.
Let’s put it this way. If the Syracuse job, the UConn job, and the Pitt job had all opened up after last season, Hurley and Capel (and most any other up and coming head coach) wouldn’t have hesitated one second to jump at the Cuse job. It’s as simple as that.

Last edited:
That is such a stupid argument. They have won 3 titles since we last won, including 2 this decade. San Francisco won titles in the 50s. Yeah they are a mess right now, although they hired the hottest coaching candidate last year, who chose them over an ACC school. Let's see where they are in 5 years before we dig their grave. We haven't exactly been the model of consistency lately.

We end up looking dumb to other fan bases (most of all to them) when we say things like "I don't care about national titles, we get 20+ fans during the week." Bottom line is they have won 4. We have 1. Huge difference. I am sorry. I know we have been better for longer, but at the end of the day I look at championships. That is how programs are judged.

We have the massive advantage of the ACC versus the American. No doubt there. But I am the only one worried about our future? Our head coach is 73. What if our next hire turns out to be bad? Being in the ACC doesn't guarantee that your program sustains success (look at Pitt).
That's fair. But as you have seen, you can be a good program and still fade in the ACC (Pitt). We have had all of our success with one coach like UConn did. No guarantee that it continues have JB leaves. That is my point.
Pitt will be back in the mix, at least as a mid-tier ACC team, soon enough. Stallings was a terrible hire, and they shouldn’t have let Dixon go. But Syracuse is set up for continued success in basketball long-term, much better than UConn or Pitt, thanks to the Dome, our upstate NY fan base, our recruiting grounds, the ACC affiliation, our history, our national brand, and a number of other factors.

please.png

please stop...this is embarrassing. Let them be them and we will be us. This isn't funny and makes us look bad.

His name is pronounced "Akook Akook."
He is from the Sudan, just like Keuth Duany and Jon Bol Ajak.
There is a place in South Sudan called Akok.
GMac has been all over him for a very long time. UConn, PC and BC were all asleep at the switch on him for a long time.
yeah; i never gave any credit to the boneyard rumors of the last few weeks. msg board rumors are just rumors regardless of the source

my impression is that we are in the lead for akok & have been for quite some time

i think recruits these days are much more sophisticated than they were in years past. he knows how important this decision is for his future. he knows how the syracuse system will highlight his skills. he knows that jim boeheim has a track record of getting guys with his skill set into the pros. and he knows - or he will before the weekend is over - the great players that uconn can point to that have gone on to professional careers were jim calhoun's players, not uconn's, and that despite any great qualities that danny hurley possesses, he has never had the responsibility of developing a talent like akok akok and he has zero track record to point to. akok's decision is too important to put it in the hands of an unproven coach. let someone else be first.

That's fair. But as you have seen, you can be a good program and still fade in the ACC (Pitt). We have had all of our success with one coach like UConn did. No guarantee that it continues have JB leaves. That is my point.
Pitt was a good program?

The visual of Hurley watching Akok and GMac leaving the tarmac is hilarious, true or not.
Should be good weekend for recruiting Akok, a lot of activities with Orange Central taking place, the campus should be alive and electric, there is a home football game and the weather should be nice.
Hopefully Goodine will be of some help with Akok as well, as he is taking his official as well.
I know the recent excitement with Stewart has diverted attention away from Akok on this board, but it should go without saying that if we get this kid it would beyond huge, with the added benefit of kicking UConn in the stones. Getting him and Guerrier would be beyond belief.
De plane De plane

yeah; i never gave any credit to the boneyard rumors of the last few weeks. msg board rumors are just rumors regardless of the source

my impression is that we are in the lead for akok & have been for quite some time

i think recruits these days are much more sophisticated than they were in years past. he knows how important this decision is for his future. he knows how the syracuse system will highlight his skills. he knows that jim boeheim has a track record of getting guys with his skill set into the pros. and he knows - or he will before the weekend is over - the great players that uconn can point to that have gone on to professional careers were jim calhoun's players, not uconn's, and that despite any great qualities that danny hurley possesses, he has never had the responsibility of developing a talent like akok akok and he has zero track record to point to. akok's decision is too important to put it in the hands of an unproven coach. let someone else be first.
Yes, this exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.