Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is such a stupid argument. They have won 3 titles since we last won, including 2 this decade. San Francisco won titles in the 50s. Yeah they are a mess right now, although they hired the hottest coaching candidate last year, who chose them over an ACC school. Let's see where they are in 5 years before we dig their grave. We haven't exactly been the model of consistency lately.

We end up looking dumb to other fan bases (most of all to them) when we say things like "I don't care about national titles, we get 20+ fans during the week." Bottom line is they have won 4. We have 1. Huge difference. I am sorry. I know we have been better for longer, but at the end of the day I look at championships. That is how programs are judged.

We have the massive advantage of the ACC versus the American. No doubt there. But I am the only one worried about our future? Our head coach is 73. What if our next hire turns out to be bad? Being in the ACC doesn't guarantee that your program sustains success (look at Pitt).

Stick to the Siena part, clown.

So "lighting in a bottle" is a 20 year stretch? This is what I mean. If they aren't a great program (they have 4 tiltes) than what are we? I know we have been better for LONGER than them but still. We demean ourselves when we talk like that.
I'm guessing you're a pretty young kid and you aren't accustomed to seeing programs rise and fall. Houston, DePaul, UNLV etc... all had their runs and faded away. Just like UConn. We have been the better program for many decades but... here is the important part... we have the building blocks in place to remain relevant. They do not. You seem to have all your eggs in one very narrow basket as far as judging programs. And not one that means anything towards how programs will fare in the future.

They play sht teams day in and day out , are coming off consecutive losing records and three head coaches in six years.

I’m comfortable with 4>1. If they want to wave it around then fine. Because their program is depressing as sht otherwise.
What program?

acc payouts = netjet
aac payouts = uber

Well, UConn *is* the 6th Borough after all, so...

zip-car.jpg

And - it comes with cloth bucket seats and 2 cup holders!! :p

We're in the ACC. They play in the American.

That alone will attract a better coach and better players.

Hurley won't stay there forever.

They don't even have a permanent home arena.

This is true, and every single day all of us "diehard" 'Cuse fans should thank our lucky stars. Whatever anyone may want to believe, we could've easily just have been them, on the outside looking in. Our football program has been abysmal for nearly 2 decades, we have one national championship. Prior to the "gift of a lifetime" invite to the ACC, UConn's football program was getting better exposure than us. And, no matter how much "fun" it is to boast in other's misery, the fact remains, they have 4 national championships to our 1. That is an extensive difference. Now, I guess I may be getting a similar response from some how I'm on the wrong board as well. :rolleyes:

This is true, and every single day all of us "diehard" 'Cuse fans should thank our lucky stars. Whatever anyone may want to believe, we could've easily just have been them, on the outside looking in. Our football program has been abysmal for nearly 2 decades, we have one national championship. Prior to the "gift of a lifetime" invite to the ACC, UConn's football program was getting better exposure than us. And, no matter how much "fun" it is to boast in other's misery, the fact remains, they have 4 national championships to our 1. That is an extensive difference and a FACT. Now, I guess I may be on the wrong board too. :rolleyes:

And the Red Sox didn't win a world series or beat the Yankees for 86 years.

We are in a much better spot than them and we were better before them.

A bunch ya'll living in the past.

They aren't Duke or UK.

This is true, and every single day all of us "diehard" 'Cuse fans should thank our lucky stars. Whatever anyone may want to believe, we could've easily just have been them, on the outside looking in. Our football program has been abysmal for nearly 2 decades, we have one national championship. Prior to the "gift of a lifetime" invite to the ACC, UConn's football program was getting better exposure than us. And, no matter how much "fun" it is to boast in other's misery, the fact remains, they have 4 national championships to our 1. That is an extensive difference and a FACT. Now, I guess I may be getting a similar response from some how I'm on the wrong board as well. :rolleyes:
Yeah... there but for the grace of God go we. It easily could have gone differently, but it didn't. And if my Aunt had a pair she'd be my Uncle.

This is true, and every single day all of us "diehard" 'Cuse fans should thank our lucky stars. Whatever anyone may want to believe, we could've easily just have been them, on the outside looking in. Our football program has been abysmal for nearly 2 decades, we have one national championship. Prior to the "gift of a lifetime" invite to the ACC, UConn's football program was getting better exposure than us. And, no matter how much "fun" it is to boast in other's misery, the fact remains, they have 4 national championships to our 1. That is an extensive difference. Now, I guess I may be getting a similar response from some how I'm on the wrong board as well. :rolleyes:

There’s reasons we got the “gift of a lifetime” and they didn’t. Wasn’t blind luck. Can we create a “Costanza” board for the worryworts who think we’re screwed at every turn and come to the recruiting threads to express it?

Yeah... there but for the grace of God go we. It easily could have gone differently, but it didn't. And if my Aunt had a pair she'd be my Uncle.

Correct, it didn't and SU and its fans are extremely fortunate, God has nothing to do with it. Believe what you want, but many here were on pins and needles when all of that expansion was going on with the viable possibility of being left without a chair to sit in after the music finished...knowing what fate that would've brought to the program.

Correct, it didn't and SU and its fans are extremely fortunate, God has nothing to do with it. Believe what you want, but many here were on pins and needles when all of that expansion was going on with the viable possibility of being left without a chair to sit in after the music finished...knowing what fate that would've brought to the program.

Seriously...who cares?

Correct, it didn't and SU and its fans are extremely fortunate, God has nothing to do with it. Believe what you want, but many here were on pins and needles when all of that expansion was going on with the viable possibility of being left without a chair to sit in after the music finished.
Again... yeah... I was one of them. But it DIDN'T go the other way. It's approaching a decade since then. Time to move past the fear bud.

That is such a stupid argument. They have won 3 titles since we last won, including 2 this decade. San Francisco won titles in the 50s. Yeah they are a mess right now, although they hired the hottest coaching candidate last year, who chose them over an ACC school. Let's see where they are in 5 years before we dig their grave. We haven't exactly been the model of consistency lately.

We end up looking dumb to other fan bases (most of all to them) when we say things like "I don't care about national titles, we get 20+ fans during the week." Bottom line is they have won 4. We have 1. Huge difference. I am sorry. I know we have been better for longer, but at the end of the day I look at championships. That is how programs are judged.

We have the massive advantage of the ACC versus the American. No doubt there. But I am the only one worried about our future? Our head coach is 73. What if our next hire turns out to be bad? Being in the ACC doesn't guarantee that your program sustains success (look at Pitt).
Bruh you've been suspect troll levels on almost everything I see.

And the Red Sox didn't win a world series or beat the Yankees for 86 years.

We are in a much better spot than them and we were better before them.

A bunch ya'll living in the past.

They aren't Duke or UK.

Being better had absolutely nothing to do with it, although some may chose this sentiment to make them feel better. Rutgers has always sucked (for the most part) and they got in. We all know this being in or out had nothing to do with the quality of play on the field, as we for the better part of two decades, were atrocious.

Being better had absolutely nothing to do with it, although some may chose this sentiment to make them feel better. Rutgers has always sucked (for the most part) and they got in. We all know this being in or out had nothing to do with the quality of play on the field, as we for the better part of two decades, were atrocious.

We are in the ACC. Why do you care about something that happened 6 to 10 years ago? I don't need a lecture on being fortunate. We've always had more history than UConn in both sports. I don't need other Syracuse fans with inferiority complexes telling me how I should feel because they think we were "fortunate" to get an invite. If you want to argue about UConn bring it over to the main board.

Now lets get back to Akok Akok and sign him to an LOI where he will play against real opponents in a real conference.

Again... yeah... I was one of them. But it DIDN'T go the other way. It's approaching a decade since then. Time to move past the fear bud.

No fear, just keeping it real. On that point, this is our 6th season in the ACC, so still four years remain to hit that approaching "decade." ;)

But you’re talking like it was a random lottery that sent us to the P5 and them to the dump pile. Even with our extended football difficulties at the time and the 4>1 in basketball, our program was deemed to have greater value, greater relevance, and a stronger future. And now that we are P5 and they are not, the revenue and exposure are orders of magnitude better for us than them, widening the gap to insurmountable levels. Those reasons are the same ones that make players like Akok so hard for them to recruit over us. Doesn’t mean it can’t ever happen, but it is uphill for them.

So "lighting in a bottle" is a 20 year stretch? This is what I mean. If they aren't a great program (they have 4 tiltes) than what are we? I know we have been better for LONGER than them but still. We demean ourselves when we talk like that.
that was all a function of jim calhoun, who i have always argued is the best coach of the 64(+) team era. but jc is long gone now & their program is in steady (and i believe permanent) decline. if they were a basketball-only this could be a different story, but they are not.

you don't have to rely on the biased arguments of we message board trolls. the governors of the acc, b1g & possibly big xii all kicked the tires of uconn and all said "pass." in fact, they said we'll take rutgers instead. let that sink in for a minute.

And if the BE invites Penn St in 1980 maybe that league is still around. Or if Syracuse shows interest in the ACC sooner maybe they take Syracuse before FSU. Hey maybe if JB didn't get the job in the first place syracuse never becomes a hoops power. But none of that... just like getting left out in the cold like Uconn... happened so none of it means ANYTHING going forward.

We are in the ACC. Why do you care about something that happened 6 to 10 years ago. I don't need a lecture on being fortunate. We've always had more history than UConn in both sports. I don't need other Syracuse fans with inferiority complexes telling me how I should feel because they think we were "fortunate" to get an invite. If you want to argue about UConn bring it over to the main board.

Now lets get back to Akok Akok and sign him to an LOI where he will play against real opponents in a real conference.

I'm not lecturing anyone, or it's certainly not my intent. Just pointing out that we were quite fortunate, and rebutting some of the snarky comments made to Siena, vs. just debating or discussing the matter with objectivity. I'm not saying this is you, but it's so typical of the usual suspects lashing out or attempting to demean others on this site, especially in their pathetic attempts to lobby for the superficial "likes."

Fair enough, getting back to Akok :)

No fear, just keeping it real. On that point, this is our 6th season in the ACC, so still four years remain to hit that approaching "decade." ;)
6th year competing. The invite was accepted in 2011. Time to move on big guy. It's ok... it was scary, but we won.

that was all a function of jim calhoun, who i have always argued is the best coach of the 64(+) team era. but jc is long gone now & their program is in steady (and i believe permanent) decline. if they were a basketball-only this could be a different story, but they are not.

you don't have to rely on the biased arguments of we message board trolls. the governors of the acc, b1g & possibly big xii all kicked the tires of uconn and all said "pass." in fact, they said we'll take rutgers instead. let that sink in for a minute.

Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.