Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he’s 6’10” and can block shots he will play center. Especially if he’s good offensively. That’s how JB works.
If we are recruiting him to play center it's because we're not expecting to land any of our center recruits. That's concerning because there's NO reason to be unable to land a stud center in a year that the starting job is potentially up for grabs. I saw this coming...

I better quit while I'm ahead... omg frustrating.

If we are recruiting him to play center it's because we're not expecting to land any of our center recruits. That's concerning because there's NO reason to be unable to land a stud center in a year that the starting job is potentially up for grabs. I saw this coming...

You saw what coming?

how do you know we're recruiting him to play center? how do you know we don't expect to land any of our center recruits? talk about assumptions for the sake of being negative.

6’10 guys can’t play center and Sidibe won’t be healthy according to people here’s I guess. Must know more than the coaches!

Anyway we are going after other bigs so I don’t get the hyperventilating. Some people aren’t happy unless they complain I guess!

I don't know anything about the staff's intent... didn't say I did. I did post this a month ago (see below) when it seemed like it was a possibility. I want Akok as a stretch 4. BUT I want a real center. If Akok is capable of playing center I imagine he wouldn't be ready to do so as a frosh. We need a college ready center.

I like Akok, and will be happy if he signs here. But I sure hope he's not being recruited to be the 4 or 5 star center we need. Could he spot play center like Dolejaz in a pinch... yes. He's not a center though, and I sure hope he isn't being recruited as such.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the staff's intent... didn't say I did. I did post this a month ago (see below) when it seemed like it was a possibility. I want Akok as a stretch 4. BUT I want a real center. If Akok is capable of playing center I imagine he wouldn't be ready to do so as a fresh. We need a college ready center.

If Sidibe is healthy a college ready center isn’t going to want to come here.

If Sidibe is healthy a college ready center isn’t going to want to come here.

Sidibe was not a starter last year. He's also a question mark. If ever there is a season to come away with an elite center, it's this class. Any elite center would have a legitimate chance of starting.
I'm not trying to be negative and I made no assumptions. I said, "IF" we are recruiting him as a center... that's not an assumption that's hypothetical.

Sidibe was not a starter last year. He's also a question mark. If ever there is a season to come away with an elite center, it's this class. Any elite center would have a legitimate chance of starting.
I'm not trying to be negative and I made no assumptions. I said, "IF" we are recruiting him as a center... that's not an assumption that's hypothetical.

If Sidibe is healthy he’s the starter after Chukwu. We will know soon enough. These guys aren’t signing tomorrow. We won’t need a starter if Sidibe is healthy.

If Sidibe is healthy he’s the starter after Chukwu. We will know soon enough. These guys aren’t signing tomorrow. We won’t need a starter if Sidibe is healthy.
I agree Sidibe would likely start if healthy but like it or not he is is a question mark. I thought we needed a big man in the 2018 class, and I wasn't alone in that sentiment.
Banking on a healthy Sidibe is risky. A center should be our top priority in 2019. It's just an opinion... Akok is great, just not a center.

I agree Sidibe would likely start if healthy but like it or not he is is a question mark. I thought we needed a big man in the 2018 class, and I wasn't alone in that sentiment.
Banking on a healthy Sidibe is risky. A center should be our top priority in 2019. It's just an opinion... Akok is great, just not a center.
The only thing that matters is Syracuse is able to get a commit from Akok Akok to come play at Syracuse.

I do not believe like Marek Akok is being recruited to play center.

Akok is sufficiently skilled to play SF, PF and if needed spend some time at center.

He is not a Syracuse 2019 Plan A (Cockburn), Plan B (Wahab), nor Plan C (Kai Jones) nor even Plan D (Jon Bol Ajak) as a Center.

The only thing that matters is Syracuse is able to get a commit from Akok Akok to come play at Syracuse.

I do not believe like Marek Akok is being recruited to play center.

Akok is sufficiently skilled to play SF, PF and if needed spend some time at center.

He is not a Syracuse 2019 Plan A (Cockburn), Plan B (Wahab), nor Plan C (Kai Jones) nor even Plan D (Jon Bol Ajak) as a Center.

YES!!! I agree with your assessment that his skill set is suited to play the 3 or 4 (stretch 4 most likely). I also agree that he could spot at center. I've said the same thing as you (consistently). I want us to sign Akok very much.

I've only added that if we lose out on a top notch center and expect Akok to fill that role it:
1. Is concerning in a year where center is perhaps the most important need.
2. Forces Akok to play out of position
3. Leaves us with Sidibe (a question mark) and no one else at center. If Sidibe got hurt we'd be in trouble. Marek as a full time 5 is unrealistic.

All I want is what every SU fan wants, the pieces we need to compete for a deep run in the Tournament. For whatever reason, that makes me negative in the eyes of others. LOL.

Last edited:
YES!!! I agree with your assessment that his skill set is suited to play the 3 or 4 (stretch 4 most likely). I also agree that he could spot at center. I've said the same thing as you (consistently). I want us to sign Akok very much.

I've only added that if we lose out on a top notch center and expect Akok to fill that role it:
1. Is concerning in a year where center is perhaps the most important need.
2. Forces Akok to play out of position
3. Leaves us with Sidibe (a question mark) and no one else at center. If Sidibe got hurt we'd have no one else at center. Marek as a full time 5 is unrealistic.

All I want is what every SU fan wants, the pieces we need to compete for a deep run in the Tournament. For whatever reason, that makes me negative in the eyes of others. LOL.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think we are recruiting him as a 5?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think we are recruiting him as a 5?

There's been more comments lately about Akok's shot blocking ability. Someone else suggested that he could be our next center. I never said we were pursuing him as a 5. I said IF we are looking at Akok to play five that I'm not in favor of it. People think I make a lot of assumptions, but I think they do.

Last edited:
your playing for an ACC team at the D1 level you better understand as a player you’ll have competition.

Anytime we are looking into the future we are engaging in speculation...

Whether we are projecting win total..
Whether we are projecting points per game
Whether we are projecting minutes per game
OR
Whether we are projecting the health of a player

Saying Bourama is a question mark for next season is not an assumption. It is reasonable to have questions/concerns about the health of a player coming off surgery for an inflammatory condition which in some can be chronic.

In fact, stating that Bourama will be healthy all season is a big assumption. Stating I have questions/concerns is not. There's a difference between saying he'll be injured and having concerns.

I'm not negative. I discuss realistic possibilities.

Last edited:
A healthy Sidibe is better than any of these recruits.
You may very well be right. I sincerely hope he is. We'll be a much better team if he is.

But completely rejecting the possibility that he could have complications is IMO unwise. We need depth at the center position. And IMO that depth should come from someone who is not a long term project.

You may very well be right. I sincerely hope he is. We'll be a much better team if he is.

But completely rejecting the possibility that he could have complications is IMO unwise. We need depth at the center position. And IMO that depth should come from someone who is not a long term project.

You're misunderstanding my posts.

If Sidibe is healthy we aren’t getting a center that’s ready to play right away because he’s the guy once Chukwu is gone and recruits will know this.

If he isn’t we will go after these guys harder, but Sidibe probably will be healthy and whoever we sign will be his backup...

With Sidibe healthy Akok is more than capable of playing there when needed. He’s 6’10 and can shoot. 6’10 guys can play center. Clint Capela is 6’9” and is awesome for the Rockets.

Most 7 footers are dinosaurs in modern basketball anyway because they can’t play offense unless they are extremely special players.

You're misunderstanding my posts.

If Sidibe is healthy we aren’t getting a center that’s ready to play right away because he’s the guy once Chukwu is gone and recruits will know this.

If he isn’t we will go after these guys harder, but Sidibe probably will be healthy and whoever we sign will be his backup...

With Sidibe healthy Akok is more than capable of playing there when needed. He’s 6’10 and can shoot. 6’10 guys can play center. Clint Capela is 6’9” and is awesome for the Rockets.

Most 7 footers are dinosaurs in modern basketball anyway because they can’t play offense unless they are extremely special players.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However...

Sidibe should not scare an elite center. He's good but he's unproven, and even if he stays healthy in 2018 it doesn't mean he won't have trouble in 2019. He's not scaring away an elite recruit.

I do agree that Akok could spot up at center. The reason I don't think he's capable of playing there as a starter has nothing to do with his height. You are right that Capella was great for his size. Expecting Akok to play center full time at the collegiate level (which is possible if Sidibe has more health issues) is asking IMO too much from a freshman. It's not the position he currently plays.

I like Akok a lot. I want us to land him. I simply think that banking on him to play the five as a freshman if Sidibe goes down is too risky. If we can't land a top center with a vacancy it's troubling.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However...

Sidibe should not scare an elite center. He's good but he's unproven, and even if he stays healthy in 2018 it doesn't mean he won't have trouble in 2019. He's not scaring away an elite recruit.

I do agree that Akok could spot up at center. The reason I don't think he's capable of playing there as a starter has nothing to do with his height. You are right that Capella was great for his size. Expecting Akok to play center full time at the collegiate level (which is possible if Sidibe has more health issues) is asking IMO too much from a freshman. It's not the position he currently plays.

I like Akok a lot. I want us to land him. I simply think that banking on him to play the five as a freshman if Sidibe goes down is too risky. If we can't land a top center with a vacancy it's troubling.

Sidibe showed more as a freshman than Christmas or Fab ever did. I think you’re undervaluing him tremendously probably because of recruiting rankings.. He was arguably our best freshman center in the past 25 years and it’s not close. A lot of 5 star bigs come in and never produce anything their first year.

Sidibe showed more as a freshman than Christmas or Fab ever did. I think you’re undervaluing him tremendously probably because of recruiting rankings.. He was arguably our best freshman center in the past 25 years and it’s not close. A lot of 5 star bigs come in and never produce anything their first year.

We didn't get to see a whole lot of Sidibe. He did show a lot of promise in his limited game time. If he's healthy, and can stay out of foul trouble I'll be thrilled. To say that he's the best freshman center we've had in 25 years is a strange assessment. He had some great moments and a few special games, but he rarely played. Way too early to throw those kinds of accolades at him.

What I don't think you understand is that even if he was Anthony Davis coming off surgery for an inflammatory condition that can be chronic, I'd have the same opinion. It's a difficult position for the staff to be in. I believe it's unwise if we don't recruit/land a player capable of manning center position as a freshman.

I just want to win, same as you. Just because we have differing opinions on how to achieve it, doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong, nor does it mean the opposite. It also doesn't make me negative.

The vibes I'm getting are that our bigs in this class will be Akok and Ajak. Both nice players, neither of which IMO are capable of manning the center position as freshmen.

I will be disappointed if that's the route we go, NOT because I dislike these players, but because I think we'd be leaving ourselves very vulnerable. Akok is a stretch four, and a good one. But he doesn't play center. Ajak, on the other hand, has not had a good spring or summer, and there are far better centers available. Both could be great solutions at center in a few years. Anyway...

Let's Go Orange!!!!!

Last edited:
We didn't get to see a whole lot of Sidibe. He did show a lot of promise in his limited game time. If he's healthy, and can stay out of foul trouble I'll be thrilled. To say that he's the best freshman center we've had in 25 years is a strange assessment. He had some great moments and a few special games, but he rarely played. Way too early to throw those kinds of accolades at him.

What I don't think you understand is that even if he was Anthony Davis coming off surgery for an inflammatory condition that can be chronic, I'd have the same opinion. It's a difficult position for the staff to be in. I believe it's unwise if we don't recruit/land a player capable of manning center position as a freshman.

I just want to win, same as you. Just because we have differing opinions on how to achieve it, doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong, nor does it mean the opposite. It also doesn't make me negative.

The vibes I'm getting are that our bigs in this class will be Akok and Ajak. Both nice players, neither of which IMO are capable of manning the center position as freshmen.

I will be disappointed if that's the route we go, NOT because I dislike these players, but because I think we'd be leaving ourselves very vulnerable. Akok is a stretch four, and a good one. But he doesn't play center. Ajak, on the other hand, has not had a good spring or summer, and there are far better centers available. Both could be great solutions at center in a few years. Anyway...

Let's Go Orange!!!!!

Love the passion on this front and I agree with a lot of the points here. Sidibe has to be a bit of a concern at least until we see him completely healthy (or there are posters here with access to info on his medicals who know a lot more than most of us here).

Also agree that recruiting a center is a priority and it's always a bad look to strike out on a bunch of your top targets -- no idea if this is happening, but if it does, it's not great.

I'd add that JB's best teams tend to put lineups on the floor that fit well together -- a true PG, an SG that can create some offense, two long wings with some defensive aptitude and effort and a center that at a minimum can take up some space and clog up the lane. So, yes, getting a real center traditionally is an important key to us having a quality team.

However, I also think the way the game is set up, there are a few reasons to believe that perhaps we don't have to be as stringent on the positions we're recruiting. The one that jumps out to me is the corner three. Teams have made significant efforts the past couple years to overload the zone and set up that corner three, especially since most teams are putting at least three shooters on the floor at all times. The responsibility for challenging that corner three falls primarily on the center as the wing has a tough time challenging the three on the wing and recovering in time to also challenge the shooter in the corner.

As such we had Chuckwu, who improved significantly in this department over the course of the season, running at that shooter in the corner. The only issue is that the big guy isn't as mobile as you'd like in that spot and often times challenged effectively, but also took himself out of the play landing three rows deep in the stands after the challenge.

So, in theory, just having three long players in that back line, all of whom have some athleticism and can move their feet a bit, could be a solid option for us even if we do occasionally deal with getting pushed around inside by some bigs against teams like Carolina, et al.

Also, traditionally, we've played a lot of 4-on-5 offense with a JB offense that isn't the most creative in college hoops -- basic motion with a bunch of ball screens. A kid like Akok that has legitimate offensive skill playing in the center with four other solid offensive players around him could be a nice boost for us on that end.

So, again, not saying having a true center isn't an advantage and maybe even a necessity to cover matchups with traditional bigs like Carolina always seems to have. I also hope we're landing one of the centers we're going after, but I can see a lineup without a true center still being pretty effective if we're bringing in a bunch of long, talented forwards.

Love the passion on this front and I agree with a lot of the points here. Sidibe has to be a bit of a concern at least until we see him completely healthy (or there are posters here with access to info on his medicals who know a lot more than most of us here).

Also agree that recruiting a center is a priority and it's always a bad look to strike out on a bunch of your top targets -- no idea if this is happening, but if it does, it's not great.

I'd add that JB's best teams tend to put lineups on the floor that fit well together -- a true PG, an SG that can create some offense, two long wings with some defensive aptitude and effort and a center that at a minimum can take up some space and clog up the lane. So, yes, getting a real center traditionally is an important key to us having a quality team.

However, I also think the way the game is set up, there are a few reasons to believe that perhaps we don't have to be as stringent on the positions we're recruiting. The one that jumps out to me is the corner three. Teams have made significant efforts the past couple years to overload the zone and set up that corner three, especially since most teams are putting at least three shooters on the floor at all times. The responsibility for challenging that corner three falls primarily on the center as the wing has a tough time challenging the three on the wing and recovering in time to also challenge the shooter in the corner.

As such we had Chuckwu, who improved significantly in this department over the course of the season, running at that shooter in the corner. The only issue is that the big guy isn't as mobile as you'd like in that spot and often times challenged effectively, but also took himself out of the play landing three rows deep in the stands after the challenge.

So, in theory, just having three long players in that back line, all of whom have some athleticism and can move their feet a bit, could be a solid option for us even if we do occasionally deal with getting pushed around inside by some bigs against teams like Carolina, et al.

Also, traditionally, we've played a lot of 4-on-5 offense with a JB offense that isn't the most creative in college hoops -- basic motion with a bunch of ball screens. A kid like Akok that has legitimate offensive skill playing in the center with four other solid offensive players around him could be a nice boost for us on that end.

So, again, not saying having a true center isn't an advantage and maybe even a necessity to cover matchups with traditional bigs like Carolina always seems to have. I also hope we're landing one of the centers we're going after, but I can see a lineup without a true center still being pretty effective if we're bringing in a bunch of long, talented forwards.
Excellent post, and something to ponder. Chukwu did struggle to cover corner 3's. But is that a product of his size or because he's slow?

Chukwu gave his heart and soul to the team. His effort was there every game. It's commendable. But I don't think that every big guy is as athletically challenged as Chukwu.

We get killed against the Dukes and UNC's inside...

I would love Akok, and I like the fact that he's versatile enough to cover the 5 position against less physical teams.

But I think we need both. We need Akok and a guy like Stewart.

Anyhow, thanks for an awesome post. You've made me view it a bit differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.