Class of 2019 - PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Akok Akok (CT) to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent post, and something to ponder. Chukwu did struggle to cover corner 3's. But is that a product of his size or because he's slow?

Chukwu gave his heart and soul to the team. His effort was there every game. It's commendable. But I don't think that every big guy is as athletically challenged as Chukwu.

We get killed against the Dukes and UNC's inside...

I would love Akok, and I like the fact that he's versatile enough to cover the 5 position against less physical teams.

But I think we need both. We need Akok and a guy like Stewart.

Anyhow, thanks for an awesome post. You've made me view it a bit differently.

Yeah, never hurts to have some size and muscle in there. By the way, not totally criticizing Chuckwu, who improved a ton and did a great job for this team. The fact that he's not the most athletic guy definitely hurts a bit at times. But a slightly more athletic version of him would be great.

This is gonna come down to Syracuse and UCUCK. But he seems to really like his fit with us and that’s huge.

Yeah, never hurts to have some size and muscle in there. By the way, not totally criticizing Chuckwu, who improved a ton and did a great job for this team. The fact that he's not the most athletic guy definitely hurts a bit at times. But a slightly more athletic version of him would be great.

Chewy gave his all. I have zero issue with his efforts. I think to upgrade the center position we need someone stronger AND quicker that won't get outmuscled by stronger opponents.

I like Akok as a four. He's great, versatile, quick. But he's not strong. He also doesn't play center currently.

Ajak, is a bit stronger and more coordinated than Chewy, but he's IMO slow, and hasn't played well this spring or summer.

I think it's possible that we're swinging and missing on our center targets and therefore trying to convince ourselves that Akok and Ajak can do the job. Maybe they can... but I'd feel much more comfortable with a traditional strong/mobile big. I also think it's very reasonable to expect Syracuse to be able to land a top big man with the only competition being Sidibe (who may or may not be healthy and has never started).

i never said we were having trouble. I said IF we come up empty on our center recruits it would be concerning. I think reading comprehension is sorely lacking on this message board.

other than 2 or 3 uninformed but prolific posters, who says we are having trouble?
Most of the other sites show us trailing on Stewart and other A list recruits.

Most of the other sites show us trailing on Stewart and other A list recruits.
most of those sites don't track "leading/trailing" metrics, the one that does has a spotty track record, and even that one has su firmly in the game for kofi, q & jba

here's my $0.02: i'm very confident that jb & co will end up with a top 15 class including at least one big

most of those sites don't track "leading/trailing" metrics, the one that does has a spotty track record, and even that one has su firmly in the game for kofi, q & jba

here's my $0.02: i'm very confident that jb & co will end up with a top 15 class including at least one big

If you're referring to the methball at 2 4 7...

Kofi is listed 50 % SU with only two votes cast (it also says we are cool on him now)

Qudus W is not given a percentage, but is listed as warm along with Louisville, VCU an Va Tech

JBA is listed as 100% Nova with only one vote, and says we're cool with him.

What does all that mean... I suspect it means absolutely nothing. Those sites have (as you state) a very poor track record of accuracy in predictions.

Listen... I want the same thing as you do. I want us to have a top 15 class. Very very much. The fact that we disagree on which players are best suited to help us succeed is fine. That's why we have these message boards to debate. But nothing I've posted has been an assumption or negative.

It seems that this is how this board works:

It's an assumption if it's negative.
It's negative if it's not the consensus view.
It's the gospel if it's positive.
It's positive if it is the consensus view.
And that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I’ll have to watch some video of him again. I feel like I watched a little a long time ago, but reading people’s posts here, it seems like he’s being talked about kinda similarly to how Jaren Jackson Jr was.

AA has been blowing up over the last couple weeks and others are now starting to take notice! Time to sign, seal, and deliver...
again: i wouldn't expect a decision until september
i'm confident in this recruitment; will only be worried if he decides to delay until the spring

JB has been all over this one. Feels like the point man here. Gotta like our chances with him so involved
I like this both because I'm more confident in JB, and also because if we don't get him I can gripe about GMac still.

I kid, I kid.

I'm wondering if the players from Sudan (or other foreign countries) place more importance on loyalty.
How are you defining loyalty here?

How are you defining loyalty here?

By loyal, I meant more likely to place greater importance on the length of recruiting involvement, and less likely to be influenced by a guy like Paypal Cal. They seem like high character guys.

Last edited:
at 6-9ish, 200ish, with length & athleticism, physically he profiles very similarly to freshman bourama sidibe

i once wrote of bourama that i thought he could have a serge ibaka like impact on the orange, at the defensive end anyway. that is even more true of aa because of his ability to shoot. this kid can play all three of the back line positions at syracuse. love that kind of positional flexibility. put that together with goodine, who can play both spots at the top of the zone and the staff has a lot of room to play with lineups whoever else they get this cycle.

also noticed that aa & bg are currently ranked as the top 2 prospects in new england. i don't think syracuse has ever managed to sign the top two from ne before . . . nor even #1?

Last edited:
I like this both because I'm more confident in JB, and also because if we don't get him I can gripe about GMac still.

I kid, I kid.
i thought that Gmac was on Stewart and Red on Akok.

Status
Not open for further replies.