Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

I figure Benny or Arthur can slide and play the two if need be. They’ll both find a way to get plenty of playing time if Arthur gets here.

Art isn't a shooter. We can't have a non-shooter at the 2.

So - if any of our Forwards is gonna play spot minutes at the 2, it'll be either Benny or Cole.
(Cole said at one point he could get minutes there)

IF we can land him, due to being real about the minutes and opportunity, that would be some coup (the good kind) by the staff.

Everyone getting my damn hopes up...gotta stop this positivity thing going on here because I'm not really sure what to do with it.

giphy.gif

So - if any of our Forwards is gonna play spot minutes at the 2, it'll be either Benny or Cole.

IF we can land him, due to being real about the minutes and opportunity, that would be some coup (the good kind) by the staff.
I think Art can shoot as well as Q did. But, he is long and athletic enough to play up top. Cole may be able to play up top, he is sure working his ass off.

Cole Swider -- C / PF / SG

IF we land him... given the circumstances... dare I say... the recruiting might be...

...back?

I do think that Griffs interview about adding another player pointed to the ACC transfer more than it did Art .. I would love him but Griffs interview didn’t point to Art I don’t think

The PT to me should not be an issue. Our “underutilized” freshman PG got 21 minutes a game last year.
He should want to practice against good players. If he doesn’t think he can play ahead of or at least along with those guys, then he is not a competitor. There are few sports positions where you can’t earn time during the games, goalkeepers and quarterbacks be the most obvious.

True, but Arthur might consider the fact that the coach's kid [who is a senior] just joined the team. And that last year's offensive concept was structured around the coach's other kid.

I agree that if Kaluma is as talented as it appears, that he shouldn't worry about competition, but I could definitely see PT being a big issue / question mark in his eyes, given how our roster is currently composed. All comes down to whether Kaluma views himself as a one-and-done [hence, the need to play as much as possible to feature his capabilities] or a two-year guy, where competition for PT wouldn't matter short term.

Unfortunately dont think this one is going to happen. He wants playing time and that's just not something we can offer year 1. Top 40 kid isn't going to wait these days. Also, he would take us out of the running on some 22 forwards and we're in for a decent amount of them.

Unfortunately dont think this one is going to happen. He wants playing time and that's just not something we can offer year 1. Top 40 kid isn't going to wait these days. Also, he would take us out of the running on some 22 forwards and we're in for a decent amount of them.
Hop sneaks in?

Here's my question: If there is no playing time, why does our staff want him so bad? They brought the entire staff on the call to talk to him. They were totally real with him, they've been showing him interest from day 1 (like Swider, which meant a lot when he made his next decision).

I have no idea what direction the kid will go, but I reject the no minutes thing. Again, if there were no minutes, the staff wouldn't be pursuing him. They know full well he will just transfer if he doesn't play so its not like they are just trying to stack the bench or something.

I think it's one of our local schools...ASU or UoA nabs him. Ton of PT available at UoA
I always worried about Hurley but I can’t recall them ever being mentioned.

UA is a mess right now.

Here's my question: If there is no playing time, why does our staff want him so bad? They brought the entire staff on the call to talk to him. They were totally real with him, they've been showing him interest from day 1 (like Swider, which meant a lot when he made his next decision).

I have no idea what direction the kid will go, but I reject the no minutes thing. Again, if there were no minutes, the staff wouldn't be pursing him. They know full well he will just transfer if he doesn't play so its not like they are just trying to stack the bench or something.

It's not that there's NO playing time, it's whether it's enough to appeal to a top 40 rated kid with NBA upside, who has alternative options that would offer a clearer path to him being a featured cog.

We were extensively involved with this kid before he selected UNLV. The relationship was already there, and he clearly liked us. When he backed out of the UNLV commitment, we were able to leverage that pre-existing relationship to get the kid back interested in us. Clearly, we have more than just a puncher's chance here -- we made the final cut for a reason.

Now, the kid is weighing which alternative is best for HIM. We might rise to the top based upon numerous factors -- prestigious program, awesome conference, HOF coach, quality team around him.
Or we might not -- lots of frontcourt pieces already in place, more competition for PT than at other programs, we're "far" from home, etc.

I have no idea what direction the kid will go, but I reject the no minutes thing. Again, if there were no minutes, the staff wouldn't be pursuing him. They know full well he will just transfer if he doesn't play so its not like they are just trying to stack the bench or something.
I think they are trying to do the "learn the system year 1, year 2 you'll be a starter" route.
There's just zero pathway for minutes this year at forward. Jimmy is going to get a boatload of minutes, Cole was obviously sold on system and minutes to play (he had a long list of suitors and we got him early) and Jimmy and Buddy boosted heavily about Benny. We usually never go farther than 3 forwards unless (god forbid), he would play Cole or Jimmy Jr at center

It's been real quiet on the Frank front of late too. He plays a different position but certainly losing another big time athlete would have the staff aggressively chasing I would think for sure.

He’s just a basketball player. Instinctual and fluid. Not an athlete that adopted basketball. I’m trying to think of a good equivalent
And its very rare for a player his size to handle the ball like he does. He gets anywhere he wants and finishes like Stevie Thompson. Should be rated way higher . IMO

And its very rare for a player his size to handle the ball like he does. He gets anywhere he wants and finishes like Stevie Thompson. Should be rated way higher . IMO

Yeah watching this kids film you wonder why he isn't top 10. Kind of like when watching Richmond at Brewster it was like how is this kid anywhere near down by 100

I think the ability to handle the ball could be how you sell Kaluma with less minutes available - when you play, you'll have the ball in your hands.

I’m still not convinced there is a lack of minutes. We have two open forward spots. They are up for grabs. Come in, work your ass off and get the minutes. The path is there. Are you willing to work for it? Nobody is going to hand you the golden ticket to the NBA. You have to go up against guys that want it just as bad as you do. Take the easy path if you want, but when you are on the floor playing in front of 35,000 screaming fans, you know you will have earned it.

I’m still not convinced there is a lack of minutes. We have two open forward spots. They are up for grabs. Come in, work your ass off and get the minutes. The path is there. Are you willing to work for it? Nobody is going to hand you the golden ticket to the NBA. You have to go up against guys that want it just as bad as you do. Take the easy path if you want, but when you are on the floor playing in front of 35,000 screaming fans, you know you will have earned it.

If there is time to put a Sweet 16 run in the crosshairs for selling this program going after a kid like this is it.

Yeah - the more I think about it, the more I realize this is the angle.

There are ZERO returning starters at Forward.
All 3 guys coming in have zero minutes or experience in our system.

IF Art truly believes he's an NBA-level talent, he should be able to win his share of minutes.
He will be given every opportunity to do so.

And -

IF he goes someplace where the starting spot is a given, then who is he gonna go against every day in practice??

Not gonna improve your game going up vs. walk-ons or C-list backups every day.

Yeah - the more I think about it, the more I realize this is the angle.

There are ZERO returning starters at Forward.
All 3 guys coming in have zero minutes or experience in our system.

IF Art truly believes he's an NBA-level talent, he should be able to win his share of minutes.
He will be given every opportunity to do so.

And -

IF he goes someplace where the starting spot is a given, then who is he gonna go against every day in practice??

Not gonna improve your game going up vs. walk-ons or C-list backups every day.
That’s what I’m saying, brother. Steel sharpens steel. Go out and show that you’ve got more carbon.

I don’t know about you guys, but I am jacked up. Our coaches are making moves. They are putting in the work. This is fun as hell. As soon as they lock down Arthur, they are going to freaking kill the class of 2022. The rest of the summer is going to be a crazy ride. Enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom