Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

I don’t know about you guys, but I am jacked up. Our coaches are making moves. They are putting in the work. This is fun as hell. As soon as they lock down Arthur, they are going to freaking kill the class of 2022. The rest of the summer is going to be a crazy ride. Enjoy it.

We have a ton of offensive talent and some defensive size coming in and returning. Bring in one more guy to help unlock defenses no matter his position and lookout. This kid could be that ticket if it happens. Always about the if of course.

I’m still not convinced there is a lack of minutes. We have two open forward spots. They are up for grabs. Come in, work your ass off and get the minutes. The path is there. Are you willing to work for it? Nobody is going to hand you the golden ticket to the NBA. You have to go up against guys that want it just as bad as you do. Take the easy path if you want, but when you are on the floor playing in front of 35,000 screaming fans, you know you will have earned it.
Jimmy, Cole, and Benny are going to play... I'm not saying there isn't room for a 4th forward, or that we don't need a 4th forward (I think we do). I'm only saying that I think some combination of those 3 are going to be the presumptive rotation going into the season.

Jimmy, Cole, and Benny are going to play... I'm not saying there isn't room for a 4th forward, or that we don't need a 4th forward (I think we do). I'm only saying that I think some combination of those 3 are going to be the presumptive rotation going into the season.

Art's job will be to push 2 of them to the bench.

IF he cannot do that vs. these 3 guys, what are the chances he's actually a future NBA guy?

Yeah, I get that. But, the coaches better not think like that. Two open spots. Bring in the talent. They will all play, but the best play the most. It’s up to them.

And its very rare for a player his size to handle the ball like he does. He gets anywhere he wants and finishes like Stevie Thompson. Should be rated way higher . IMO
Yeah I’m really trying to think of a player...sometimes he reminds me of draymond. But there’s a closer comp that I can’t put my finger on

Art's job will be to push 2 of them to the bench.

IF he cannot do that vs. these 3 guys, what are the chances he's actually a future NBA guy?
Is Jimmy an NBA guy? I think he would even agree that he isn’t. Is Cole? Maybe. Is Benny? Yep. Worst case scenario is you go up against an NBA bound forward every day. You work with and against him until you beat him or die trying.

There will be 5 minutes too.

Reactions: 007
Yeah I’m really trying to think of a player...sometimes he reminds me of draymond. But there’s a closer comp that I can’t put my finger on
Lamar Odom

I've watched it him once since I'm here in AZ. His defense is ahead of his offense. He can handle pretty well and is a good slasher. Plays the pick and roll well. Not a great shooter. +athlete.
He reminds me of a smaller Akok Akok with a little bit more guard skills and less shooting

I've watched it him once since I'm here in AZ. His defense is ahead of his offense. He can handle pretty well and is a good slasher. Plays the pick and roll well. Not a great shooter. +athlete.
He reminds me of a smaller Akok Akok with a little bit more guard skills and less shooting
He looks long and not super skinny. He also seems to have a good sized frame, from what I could tell. When he fills out, I can see him being a good rebounder on the next level. Able to grab a rebound and start a fast break with a few dribbles and a smart pass.

I mean I get people are thinking we have two forward spots open and open competition and all that...and it kind of is but it isn't. The forward rotation is set and it's about who will win out the starting roles right now. Just don't see a Top 40 player coming in to be the 4th forward UNLESS they see the vision of Jimmy only playing 1 year and Benny possibly being 1 and done and the possibility of Cole being done and wanting to explore a professional career
But if the staff can reel him in, I'll be happy as hell. He's a luxury get at this point

Yeah, I get that. But, the coaches better not think like that. Two open spots. Bring in the talent. They will all play, but the best play the most. It’s up to them.
Preaching to the choir, OF. I'm not sure it is entirely "up to them" as much as it is up to JB playing who he trusts in the short rotation he prefers. As we have seen, that isn't necessarily always the "best" player.

I mean I get people are thinking we have two forward spots open and open competition and all that...and it kind of is but it isn't. The forward rotation is set and it's about who will win out the starting roles right now. Just don't see a Top 40 player coming in to be the 4th forward UNLESS they see the vision of Jimmy only playing 1 year and Benny possibly being 1 and done and the possibility of Cole being done and wanting to explore a professional career
But if the staff can reel him in, I'll be happy as hell. He's a luxury get at this point

If the kid is confident in his abilities, he won't be deterred by Jimmy / Cole.

That said, a former college coach once opined that "...Steph Curry wouldn't play ahead of Buddy at Syracuse." So if you extrapolate that same sentiment to how JB might use Jimmy Jr...

Preaching to the choir, OF. I'm not sure it is entirely "up to them" as much as it is up to JB playing who he trusts in the short rotation he prefers. As we have seen, that isn't necessarily always the "best" player.
Bingo Bingo. I just hope to sweet baby jesus that he doesn't hold back Benny for the upperclassmen especially if Benny is showing to be the clear best 1 or 2 forward. I have a little bit more faith in this scenario than the pg one last year because all 3 forwards will be brand new to the system but...this board will have an even bigger meltdown than Kadary because Benny is a 5 star talent

Reactions: 007
If the kid is confident in his abilities, he won't be deterred by Jimmy / Cole.

That said, a former college coach once opined that "...Steph Curry wouldn't play ahead of Buddy at Syracuse." So if you extrapolate that same sentiment to how JB might use Jimmy Jr...
Yeah I get the confidence thing but when you have a 70-something stubborn head coach with his kid playing the same position, it's a tough sell. It's two different conversations: (our current one to Art or the transfer portal folks) "You can come in and compete for playing time or (the Swider Conversation), "we have an opening in our forward rotation". Which one sounds better? Especially to a teen.
I think Kadary and Woody had all the confidence in the world but what happened happened.

But a sophomore year Art...oooo baby, NASTY especially in the zone

Well, it would sure be a surprise if this kid choose Syracuse. We were very honest to him about the situation he would be in if he went to Syracuse. Having said that, to put his name and Woody in the same breathe is a stretch.

True, but Arthur might consider the fact that the coach's kid [who is a senior] just joined the team. And that last year's offensive concept was structured around the coach's other kid.

I agree that if Kaluma is as talented as it appears, that he shouldn't worry about competition, but I could definitely see PT being a big issue / question mark in his eyes, given how our roster is currently composed. All comes down to whether Kaluma views himself as a one-and-done [hence, the need to play as much as possible to feature his capabilities] or a two-year guy, where competition for PT wouldn't matter short term.
Well, the other kid proved to be the best player on the team, and one of the best in the 2 tournaments

Well, the other kid proved to be the best player on the team, and one of the best in the 2 tournaments

Let me try to make this more simple. Kaluma has stated that he wants to play -- a lot. He could look at Jimmy Jr.'s presence on the team as an impediment to that goal, given how JB utilizes Buddy.

Perhaps this kid may be interested in following a same career arc as Jerami Grant did at SU.

Doubtful. And this is just my opinion but I don't think he comes here if Jimmy didn't transfer here.
I doubt he could start over Benny or Cole. The coaches view Cole as an elite shooter. That is the work. Elite.

His shot and release point remind me of Andy. I love hearing how high the staff are on him. I wanted him badly when he chose Nova originally. I hope he comes in and crushes it. Great kid all around and the kind that even if it's just one year he is going to go on and do great things be it in basketball or around it.

His shot and release point remind me of Andy. I love hearing how high the staff are on him. I wanted him badly when he chose Nova originally. I hope he comes in and crushes it. Great kid all around and the kind that even if it's just one year he is going to go on and do great things be it in basketball or around it.
I really like the kid as well. Let's see, Cole, Jimmy and Benny vs Q, Woody and Braswell. I would take what we have vs what we lost every day of the week. And I like the kids we lost.

I really like the kid as well. Let's see, Cole, Jimmy and Benny vs Q, Woody and Braswell. I would take what we have vs what we lost every day of the week. And I like the kids we lost.

Yep. Watch the two best teams this past year. They had skillsets and talent many would kill for but also they were totally bought in. Through and through. You look at how hard it has been despite a plethora of talent for UK and Duke in the tourney and in the regular season with UK. Kids were not bought in all the way. Even UNC the past two years with the injuries- it's a mix. A team that is all in on what they want to accomplish makes a big difference. It doesn't guarantee anything but it still goes a long way.

Also- you don't have to ask what things are like behind the scenes to tell if a team is all in. It shows up quickly on the court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom