Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

I really like the kid as well. Let's see, Cole, Jimmy and Benny vs Q, Woody and Braswell. I would take what we have vs what we lost every day of the week. And I like the kids we lost.
Other than the guard position we are on the light side of the portal.

Other than the guard position we are on the light side of the portal.
What do you mean? You don't mean that we are on the winning side of the portal at the guard position so I don't understand the use of the word light? And I wasn't talking portal only. I thought I made that clear with the inclusion of Benny.

I really like the kid as well. Let's see, Cole, Jimmy and Benny vs Q, Woody and Braswell. I would take what we have vs what we lost every day of the week. And I like the kids we lost.
It’s a shame we didn’t get a mix of both, but onward and upward.

It’s a shame we didn’t get a mix of both, but onward and upward.
How many guys do you want at forward? I can live pretty well with 3. 4 is good but no one wants to be the 4th forward on any team other than FSU. And if you are on FSU, being in the top 3 isn't so great.

Sometimes, it's all about fit and complimentary skill sets.

I don't think anyone would argue that in 2010, that Scoop / Triche were "better" than Flynn, that Rautins was "better" than Devo. But they were better defensively, and the individual pieces fit the whole better, and that chemistry helped the sum be greater than the individual parts.

Is Swider better than Q? Is Jimmy Jr. better than Griffin? Probably not in a one-on-one game, but maybe in terms of the collective sum of the parts.
I would have taken Andy over Devo any day of the week. You know who else did, the NBA. Andy did make the Knicks one year. It's funny how everyone wants to talk about Joe and Buddy's woeful d. Okay. Fair. But the same people ignore that Devo dabbled in defense the way a child does with their veggies.

I can only imagine the threads in here if we land Arthur and Jimmy plays 25 mins a game

If JB had it his way he would have just 7 good players in his rotation like he did in 2010. I don’t think he’s comfortable rotating a lot of guys.

Even Triche said on his interview with Devo yesterday that they had too many players in 2012 and even though they won it was hard to keep everyone happy.

Doubtful. And this is just my opinion but I don't think he comes here if Jimmy didn't transfer here.
I doubt he could start over Benny or Cole. The coaches view Cole as an elite shooter. That is the work. Elite.
That’s fair. College basketball is also different than it was in 2012. Kids aren’t looking to develop off the bench on a great team anymore like Grant was behind Dirty/Fair.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, Kaluma’s goal I’m sure is to get to the NBA. Up to him the path he chooses to get there and what also gets prioritized along the way.

I would have taken Andy over Devo any day of the week. You know who else did, the NBA. Andy did make the Knicks one year.

Right. Andy was a better fit for what that team needed, even though he couldn't take it to the rack like Devo.

Remember early in that 2010 season, when a poster declared that Andy was the worst starting guard in the history of JB's run at Syracuse? LOL.

Right. Andy was a better fit for what that team needed, even though he couldn't take it to the rack like Devo.

Remember early in that 2010 season, when a poster declared that Andy was the worst starting guard in the history of JB's run at Syracuse? LOL.

Lol there have been a few that have been given that title over the years by posters. Always worth a chuckle.

All 6?
Personally, I think in a perfect world, a 13 man roster breaks down to 5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers. We could break down those position groups further, but we won’t. The way the game works now, nobody wants to be numbers 4 or 5 for the guards and forwards or number 3 for the center. They jump ship instead of developing and earning number 1-3. I get that. I also understand one of our forwards is the coach’s son. But, I believe a good coach doesn’t allow himself to have a preconceived rotation in his head before the players have earned their spot. So, in the offseason you are accumulating talent by selling the opportunity to fill one of those spots.

Who said that? Was he old and an Ethan Cole fan?

Who said that? Was he old and an Ethan Cole fan?

No -- it was a dogshiz poster named, "jambandjunki" who contributed nothing but negative H0T Takes. He made that post early in the season, and then doubled down on it when he got push back. As the season rolled on, and the team was awesome, and Andy was terrific, he stopped posting.

I'm sure the nitwit is still posting under some other handle. But after that cigar blew up in his face, he disappeared in shame. Deservedly so.

But, I believe a good coach doesn’t allow himself to have a preconceived rotation in his head before the players have earned their spot. So, in the offseason you are accumulating talent by selling the opportunity to fill one of those spots.

While this is probably true, it is no longer a feasible way to manage a college basketball team because you have to have a specific role (including projected starters and minutes) already determined for any and every guy you bring in or he will either never come or will leave immediately.

Sounds like our staff is being real with him, and it sounds like he and his coach appreciate that. I bet they’re telling him that Bourama’s knee issues could continue to be a problem and that they might only have Jesse playable at center for most of next season, which would move one of the forwards into a key reserve role at center in the zone, meaning either Kaluma, Jimmy or Cole is the backup there. Kaluma with his athleticism might be ideal. So there might be a good amount of minutes available even as a freshman.

Kaluma would be a great addition. I hope we can add the swingman, too. We have room for both, but will we add more than 1 more guy?

I hope that Frank gets a shot next year at the 4, if Sidibe is healthy and blocks his chance to play at the 5.

Yep. I still expect Jimmy and Cole to play the 5

If that is a regular feature, then I would consider that a disappointment in player development.

Why shouldn't Edwards and Anselem get an actual opportunity? They're both nearly 7 feet tall, and athletic as hell. I just don't get it.

I can see using them (Swider and Jimmy) at the 5 against small ball teams, but I don't want to see this as a regular thing. We've seen this before.

If that is a regular feature, then I would consider that a disappointment in player development.

Why should Edwards and Anselem get an actual opportunity? They're both nearly 7 feet tall, and athletic as hell. I just don't get it.

I can see using them (Swider and Jimmy) at the 5 against small ball teams, but I don't want to see this as a regular thing.

Sidibe [1] returning from injury and [2] being able to remain healthy over the full course of a season are both huge question marks. If it happens -- great, but it can't be counted on because the kid has been injured 3 of the 4 seasons he played.

So right now, we have one established commodity at center, Edwards. He'll start, and play a lot. Behind him, lots of unknowns:
  • We don't know whether Frank will return.
  • Swider isn't a natural C but could swing to 5, whether he starts at 4 or comes off the bench.
  • No idea whether Jimmy could play the pivot effectively - time will tell.

No offense, but if Arthur has as much confidence in his abilities as his coach, he wouldn’t fear Cole and Jimmy.
thats not how it works. once spots are filled spots are filled.

woody and kadary had tons of confidence...im sure kaluma does too. they obviously dont agree with the idea that they didnt merit more playing time than they got.

i still think it would work out well for him if he came but he would be wise to consider that the frontcourt is stacked regardless of how highly he thinks of himself.

I don’t see either Swider or JB, Jr playing the five. They will have zero defensive presence. Even worse than Marek. Maybe late in the game, when you have a lead and want better ball handlers to hold a lead. We saw what Jessie can do on the defensive end. I think our three centers could be a strength on the team. Don’t over think it. They are our five men and leave it at that. Jessie and Frank are our future too. Play a forward at that position and you can say goodbye to both of them. Why would Clingan want to come to a program where a forward might take his spot? There’s no way Swider or Jr. are better than any of our three centers to play in the middle of the zone.

thats not how it works. once spots are filled spots are filled.

woody and kadary had tons of confidence...im sure kaluma does too. they obviously dont agree with the idea that they didnt merit more playing time than they got.

i still think it would work out well for him if he came but he would be wise to consider that the frontcourt is stacked regardless of how highly he thinks of himself.
I think stacked may be an overstatement. Benny is a 5 star yes. But JB Jr. is coming from the Ivy (remember Seth Towns?). Cole averaged single digits at Nova and needs to prove his worth on the boards and defensively. Bourama has never been healthy not particularly effective for more than a couple of games. Jesse came on but still has a lot to prove. Frank is athletic but basically unknown after a de facto redshirt year.

Now make no mistake I am bullish on all of these guys for the most part and think they will help us win games. But let's not pretend Arthur will look at our roster and see Bird, Parish, McHale and Bill Walton in the front court.

I hear that kaluma wants to stay in school for 2 years. I would have to think that could help us here. Would he be willing to wait a bit to start? I know our coaches have been very honest with him. And he hasn't ruled us out, yet.

I think stacked may be an overstatement. Benny is a 5 star yes. But JB Jr. is coming from the Ivy (remember Seth Towns?). Cole averaged single digits at Nova and needs to prove his worth on the boards and defensively. Bourama has never been healthy not particularly effective for more than a couple of games. Jesse came on but still has a lot to prove. Frank is athletic but basically unknown after a de facto redshirt year.

Now make no mistake I am bullish on all of these guys for the most part and think they will help us win games. But let's not pretend Arthur will look at our roster and see Bird, Parish, McHale and Bill Walton in the front court.
And they could have sold on on it just like that. But they didn't. If he were to go to Syracuse, he will never be able to say that he wasn't told the truth about where he stood this year.

I hear that kaluma wants to stay in school for 2 years. I would have to think that could help us here. Would he be willing to wait a bit to start? I know our coaches have been very honest with him. And he hasn't ruled us out, yet.
First year going hard against good competition at practice. Second year blowing up. Good plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom