Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

I have a really hard time seeing a frontline of 6'9, 6'9 and edwards/sidibe having a hard time on the boards...
Since when does height have anything to to with rebounding?

We’ll be playing with fire again. Not unusual. 3 forwards. 3 guards. One injury at either position and there isn’t a backup. But if you’re okay with playing 3 small forwards, go for it. When folks here complain that we can’t rebound next season, don’t be surprised.

You don't think going 6-9 at both wings with a true center is an improvement over 6-10 200, 6-7, 6-5?

Since when does height have anything to to with rebounding?

In the zone it does. You have to win battles up high given it's difficult to box out traditionally. If you rewatch the games we were getting beat because of size more than anything. Sure QG was a good rebounder at 6-7 and Griffin at 6-5 but neither could overcome the issue going up vs taller more athletic guys on the boards. Also Marek got beat to the tap out constantly being undersized. I watched it play out over and over again this year.

As a program that runs a defense that is weak on the boards naturally we aren't going to be a juggernaut. Our best rebounding teams statically are because of offensive rebounds not defensive. So for the zone, yes size makes a difference on the boards.

Of course would I wish Benny to be like Oshae for sure. If you think I don't want a guy like Kaluma you haven't paid attention. I'm just saying that with the size we have coming in and a true center we are better off than being undersized severely while playing a zone. It's not like we are Houston playing a tough mtm and then attacking the boards with athletes. You can rebound with a smaller team in a system like that. It just doesn't work in the zone.

Last edited:
You don't think going 6-9 at both wings with a true center is an improvement over 6-10 200, 6-7, 6-5?

Honestly, I don’t expect much from any of the 3 forwards in terms of rebounding. They all have small forward skills, Benny is still rail thin and plays on the perimeter. Swider and Jimmy are also perimeter players. Quincy was 6-7, but he played inside and was a banger. We’ll be okay against smaller teams, but bigger, physical teams will own us inside.

We’ll be playing with fire again. Not unusual. 3 forwards. 3 guards. One injury at either position and there isn’t a backup. But if you’re okay with playing 3 small forwards, go for it. When folks here complain that we can’t rebound next season, don’t be surprised.
Not so small. 7 ft and two 6'8 guys.. We will not be small and we will rebound okay. Might as well call off the season. If we have an injury...if anyone has an injury to one of their top 3 forwards or guards, they are going to have problems. Everything on this board is about our short comings. The teams we are going to be playing aren't the '76 Hoosiers. Everyone has issues.

Honestly, I don’t expect much from any of the 3 forwards in terms of rebounding. They all have small forward skills, Benny is still rail thin and plays on the perimeter. Swider and Jimmy are also perimeter players. Quincy was 6-7, but he played inside and was a banger. We’ll be okay against smaller teams, but bigger, physical teams will own us inside.
Own us. Why show up? We have a 7 ft center and possible Sidibe. Our forwards aren't small.

Benny is not rail thin.

Own us. Why show up? We have a 7 ft center and possible Sidibe. Our forwards aren't small.
I said nothing about not showing up. Edwards and Sidibe both lack strength. Physical centers will push them around.

Attachments

• D167CC9B-057F-4498-B4AF-4B6A04716282.jpeg
    D167CC9B-057F-4498-B4AF-4B6A04716282.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 157
That picture doesn't make your point. What do you expect every forward to run 6-9 230 and look like a they are 30 and in the league? He is up to 215 last update. Sure he will want to get stronger but plenty of kids do just fine around his size. Rail thin was Hakim, Marek, Damone etc.

I said nothing about not showing up. Edwards and Sidibe both lack strength. Physical centers will push them around.
No more than last year i would think. Marek and Griff on the back line wasn’t exactly McHale and Parrish for rebounding. Theoretically, it should be better but we shall see.

That picture doesn't make your point. What do you expect every forward to run 6-9 230 and look like a they are 30 and in the league? He is up to 215 last update. Sure he will want to get stronger but plenty of kids do just fine around his size. Rail thin was Hakim, Marek, Damone etc.
Look, I’m not saying we’ll be bad or even mediocre. But inside play and rebounding will be an issue. And I don’t expect every forward to look like a tight end, but it would be nice to have one.

No more than last year i would think. Marek and Griff on the back line wasn’t exactly McHale and Parrish for rebounding. It should theoretically be tree but we shall see.
Exactly. It wasn’t a good rebounding team.

yeah, because Edwards isn't spending his summer here to work on his strength and his low post moves.
We got a chance with Kaluma dash?

yeah, because Edwards isn't spending his summer here to work on his strength and his low post moves.
I’m aware. He can take some pointers from Marek.

Like who?

Look, I’m not saying we’ll be bad or even mediocre. But inside play and rebounding will be an issue. And I don’t expect every forward to look like a tight end, but it would be nice to have one.
Well, that isn't how we roll, is it? And Jimmy and Cole look pretty solid to me. No one is going to nickname them tank but they will do fine. There are things to be concerned about. There are also a lot of positives No one wants to look at those when we look forward to next year. I wonder why?

I think Jesse can break that barrier- so we will see. Yes he may still get pushed around a little but he did just fine vs UNC and GT which was a very good sign. If Jesse can manage even another 15 lbs that would be a huge help. His hands and aggressiveness late in the year gave the D a totally different look which had a lot to do with him using his 6-11 size and 7-5 wingspan properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom