Class of 2021 - PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ) | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PF Arthur Kaluma (AZ)

So what you're saying is, you're pleased with having 3 forwards - one a freshman (yes, a good one, but a freshman), and two transfers?

Still need some sort of depth. How does Duke do it with all the guys they have on their team? Many of whom are rated just as high as Kaluma coming out of HS and barely play to start.

Dukes got 10 guys with even a shot for minutes this year and it's very possible the 9th/10th, both forwards and one a recent transfer, could get the Tape treatment.

If you read through the roster additions and losses on ESPN, the bell curve lands at 9.5 roughly for legit scholly guys across the board in all leagues right now. There are some exceptions but the sense it is pointless to carry 12-13 guys unless you are a line change type of team is real. It's why there is so much concern about Txfr portal guys being left in the dust or forced to be deep bench guys who commit this summer. Not to mention why 2021 and even 22 guys are no longer holding the cards like they would before portal madness.

Zona insider mentioned that Creighton is turning up the heat. That team is looking like it will be hot garbage next season right? Kinda seem like its a 2 horse race but our insiders seem to be pretty quiet on this one. No news is no news I suppose :)
Greg McDermott's plantation comments still should be some deterrent for incoming players? I know they lost Ty Ty Washington (5 star PG) due to it.

But yeah, Creighton is going to be bad next year... they seem kind of desperate to get guys right now. Their best player currently is probably their backup C from last year or Ryan Nembhard their incoming top 100 PG?

Greg McDermott's plantation comments still should be some deterrent for incoming players? I know they lost Ty Ty Washington (5 star PG) due to it.

But yeah, Creighton is going to be bad next year... they seem kind of desperate to get guys right now. Their best player currently is probably their backup C from last year or Ryan Nembhard their incoming top 100 PG?
To my knowledge, the guy has no history of this type and it was an inappropriate phrasing of phrase when he was trying to make a point about not abandoning ship when the going got tough.
This thing should not be held against him

Another one for Zona...still think we are a long shot but cmon Art...we got so much to offer if your on a 2 year plan we got you!!

When was the last time we had a 5 star forward? I'll save you the trouble - Donte Greene. He played 36 minutes a game.
That was a long time ago my friend. JB is a different animal now. Plus who do you think he's going to be most loyal to? His son. Bulldog is right. Jimmy Jr is going to get a healthy amount of minutes.

To my knowledge, the guy has no history of this type and it was an inappropriate phrasing of phrase when he was trying to make a point about not abandoning ship when the going got tough.
This thing should not be held against him
Lol then he should've said abandoning ship. Literally no one has ever used the phrase he did.

It's a real shame for him that actions have consequences! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking at Arizona, there is a lot of playing time there. They have a total of 9 players on their roster, seven of them were freshman last year. They have 2 brothers from Europe listed as forwards. Looks like Arthur could get a ton of playing time there if he was to go to Arizona.

Seems to be a real young team with little experience.

Pros: plenty of playing time with little of competition at the forward positions.
Cons: No perceived leaders on the team. Sort of like showing up for a pick-up game and see what team you are on.

If he chose Arizona, will have plenty of opportunities to shine.

Looking at Arizona, there is a lot of playing time there. They have a total of 9 players on their roster, seven of them were freshman last year. They have 2 brothers from Europe listed as forwards. Looks like Arthur could get a ton of playing time there if he was to go to Arizona.

Seems to be a real young team with little experience.

Pros: plenty of playing time with little of competition at the forward positions.
Cons: No perceived leaders on the team. Sort of like showing up for a pick-up game and see what team you are on.

If he chose Arizona, will have plenty of opportunities to shine.
They are going to be terrible with few television appearances. Also, he lives in AZ, he’s going to have a lot of distractions there. For a guy that wants to make it to the NBA, that might make it more difficult. That doesn’t apply to JJ, of course.

So you’re comparing a 2007 recruit to a 2022 recruit and think it equates to 36 minutes a game? Got it lol

So do you think that JJ comes in gets 30 min a game even if he struggles and he gets to play through it?

So do you think that JJ comes in gets 30 min a game even if he struggles and he gets to play through it?
At this point nothing is off the table, even this unlikely scenario. JB has his vision of what he wants his team to look like. JB2 will have plenty of opportunity to get right if he struggles.
If Art comes here, he realistically has to consider that possibility since its not like it hasn't happened before. And yeah, he's a 5-star and Kadary, Woody, and Bras weren't. But they were clearly better players then their playing time indicated, so... JMHO

Last edited:
Kaluma isn’t coming to SU.

Still need a forward who can rebound.

Zona insider mentioned that Creighton is turning up the heat. That team is looking like it will be hot garbage next season right? Kinda seem like its a 2 horse race but our insiders seem to be pretty quiet on this one. No news is no news I suppose :)
The Creighton program is, ahem, cratering and also has NCAA issues. I don’t see that.

Well the coach certainly doesn’t think Swider is a role player. Listen to his interview on Big East rewind. Fans opinions don’t matter. Sure we should try to sign him, but he’s not going to get the minutes the fans say he will.
Can you share the link? What is Big East rewind?

Kaluma isn’t coming to SU.

Still need a forward who can rebound.

I get the point but what good does a forward who can just rebound do for us? We only can play 5 guys at a time. We need Cole and Benny to hit the boards. Cole did it as a prospect and Benny has the size and athleticism. BS for sure can if healthy and Jesse came on late last year. A slasher who can at least rebound as a 4th forward in a pinch? Sure. But just a guy who can board who is going to grab minutes or bump guys out of the lineup? Don't see it. A 2/3 combo as a 4th guard and 4th forward is the ideal guy to add right now.

I get the point but what good does a forward who can just rebound do for us? We only can play 5 guys at a time. We need Cole and Benny to hit the boards. Cole did it as a prospect and Benny has the size and athleticism. BS for sure can if healthy and Jesse came on late last year. A slasher who can at least rebound as a 4th forward in a pinch? Sure. But just a guy who can board who is going to grab minutes or bump guys out of the lineup? Don't see it. A 2/3 combo as a 4th guard and 4th forward is the ideal guy to add right now.
Neither are rebounders. Sorry.

Kaluma was top 50 player out of high school. He’s more than a rebounder.

Kaluma was top 50 player out of high school. He’s more than a rebounder.

I wasn't talking about Kaluma. You said we need a guy who can rebound and Kaluma isn't coming. That was the post. I never once insinuated that was all he could do in earlier posts all the same.

Kaluma would have been a nice get for sure. It was an unexpected get if it happened.

We rebounded out of the forward positions last year. We should be able to rebound better out of the Center positions next year. Cole averaged 10 boards a game at Prep. He played in a 5 out offense and switching defense at Nova. To say he is not a rebounder like it's sealed is interesting to say the least. Considering we got out rebounded because of playing small a ton this year and we come in much bigger this year counts for nothing makes no sense. Griff, Q and Marek fought hard. They got pushed out and jumped over a lot too.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about Kaluma. You said we need a guy who can rebound and Kaluma isn't coming. That was the post. I never once insinuated that was all he could do in earlier posts all the same.

Kaluma would have been a nice get for sure. It was an unexpected get if it happened.

We rebounded out of the forward positions last year. We should be able to rebound better out of the Center positions next year. Cole averaged 10 boards a game at Prep. He played in a 5 out offense and switching defense at Nova. To say he is not a rebounder like it's sealed is interesting to say the least. Considering we got out rebounded because of playing small a ton this year and we come in much bigger this year counts for nothing makes no sense. Griff, Q and Marek fought hard. They got pushed out and jumped over a lot too.
We’ll be playing with fire again. Not unusual. 3 forwards. 3 guards. One injury at either position and there isn’t a backup. But if you’re okay with playing 3 small forwards, go for it. When folks here complain that we can’t rebound next season, don’t be surprised.

We’ll be playing with fire again. Not unusual. 3 forwards. 3 guards. One injury at either position and there isn’t a backup. But if you’re okay with playing 3 small forwards, go for it. When folks here complain that we can’t rebound next season, don’t be surprised.

its not like we weren’t trying to get him to commit lol it is what it is he wants to start he will go to one of the other programs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom