Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

His surgery wasn't until mid February, so there might not be a choice.
As long as he doesn't leave! I absolutely love his long term potential! Think he could be a fabulous floor leader as an upper classman!

He's going to be a redshirt. He didn't have surgery until late in the season and hasn't been cleared for contact yet. Going to have to be eased back into basketball.
Plus what's the path for PT? Even if he overcomes the surgery ... he's looking at being the 3d PG option behind Frank and Carey.

Plus what's the path for PT? Even if he overcomes the surgery ... he's looking at being the 3d PG option behind Frank and Carey.

He'd rarely see the court even with a "small" rotation.

I was a big supporter of HW in terms of giving him a scholie when the staff was wavering. However, it was no secret that he was going to be a developmental player. No question, his injury has set him back.

However, though the sample size was small, I was not impressed when he was on the court. He plays smart, has good court vision, and makes few errors. However, he seemed to lack size and athleticism. His shot looked very mediocre. I did not see penetrating and finishing skills. I see his path to PT as coupling his positives with dead-eye three point shooting. However, we now have Buddy, who is bigger and probably a much better shooter. Unless our recruiting really collapses at PG, I just see Howard's future opportunities here as very limited.

Just as a fwiw, I checked out an Illini message board. Apparently Golden's grandfather was an assistant football coach there in the 70s (and I think his dad lived there as a kid?). They think it's a bit of an x-factor. I doubt it means much (still picked Pitt over them), but who knows.

Just as a fwiw, I checked out an Illini message board. Apparently Golden's grandfather was an assistant football coach there in the 70s (and I think his dad lived there as a kid?). They think it's a bit of an x-factor. I doubt it means much (still picked Pitt over them), but who knows.

Just to clear up some incorrect information related to Golden and the Illini being involved originally in his recruitment. That information is incorrect, and I'm not sure where it came from. Bryce originally selected Pitt over Penn State, Xavier, Clemson, Maryland, Davidson and Texas Tech. The Illini didn't not recruit him until the he canned Pitt.

Pitt basketball gets a commit in Bryce Golden; where does Stallings look next? - ACCSports.com

However, the information about his grandpa, Gary Golden, being an Illini football coach is correct. And his father did live in Champaign and enjoyed living there. As a matter of fact, he said it was one of the best places he's ever lived. This is the only connection Bryce has to Illinois before they started recruiting him the second go around.

Football - All-Time Assistant Coaches

Just to clear up some incorrect information related to Golden and the Illini being involved originally in his recruitment. That information is incorrect, and I'm not sure where it came from. Bryce originally selected Pitt over Penn State, Xavier, Clemson, Maryland, Davidson and Texas Tech. The Illini didn't not recruit him until the he canned Pitt.

Pitt basketball gets a commit in Bryce Golden; where does Stallings look next? - ACCSports.com

However, the information about his grandpa, Gary Golden, being an Illini football coach is correct. And his father did live in Champaign and enjoyed living there. As a matter of fact, he said it was one of the best places he's ever lived. This is the only connection Bryce has to Illinois before they started recruiting him the second go around.

Thanks Cocodog and welcome to Syracusefan.com. Hopefully you have a good reason to hang out for the next four years.

They had 1 scholarship available...this now opens up 2 for Illinois. They would like to get golden and okoro

How is his grandfather an X factor that’s ridiculous thinking

FB1B196C-E9B7-463A-BCD6-06FE32BE1D04.gif

It goes on the hall of fame list of reasons I’ve seen posted here that could influence kids recruiting choices. Some of the greatest hits:

The Atlanta Rap Scene
Dinosaur BBQ
The presumed poor quality of the Tucson Symphony (not kidding)
The presumed attractiveness of coeds at school x being tremendously higher than school y

It goes on the hall of fame list of reasons I’ve seen posted here that could influence kids recruiting choices. Some of the greatest hits:

The Atlanta Rap Scene
Dinosaur BBQ
The presumed poor quality of the Tucson Symphony (not kidding)
The presumed attractiveness of coeds at school x being tremendously higher than school y

Don't forget about the TNT Studio!

Alright, I see what you did there. Trying to pull the old double negative to try and throw us off the trail. Now I've been to Champaign, it's no Decatur or Mattoon as far as central Illinois towns goes. :rolleyes:

Alright, I see what you did there. Trying to pull the old double negative to try and throw us off the trail. Now I've been to Champaign, it's no Decatur or Mattoon as far as central Illinois towns goes. :rolleyes:
And it sure as hell can't hold a candle to Gary, Indiana.

And it sure as hell can't hold a candle to Gary, Indiana.

Yeah, Gary can be enticing for sure. Well, for Ace anyway.

Speaking of Indiana, let's just hope that Bryce didn't get a glimpse of the Golden Dome while on his trip west to Urbana-Champaign.

Good catch on the double negative.

I'm a Maryland fan and have followed the Golden family for a few years now. As a Maryland fan, I've been to practically every ACC and Big Ten city attending both basketball and football games, and I can attest that Champaign is a pretty cool little city, like most major college towns. With that said, it's not my favorite and it's not my least favorite. My favorites are Chapel Hill, Madison, and Bloomington.

Anyway, back to Bryce and the Golden's. Bryce's grandpa, Gary Golden, died a few years back in an auto accident. Bryce's dad lived in Champaign during the time Gary was an assistant coach with the Illini. Bryce's father is the one who stated that Champaign was one of his favorite places to live.

As for grand parents having influence on grand children, I guess it all depends on how involved the grand parent is in the relationship. In my case, both of my grand fathers had tremendous influence on my life and do still, even though I'm retired. But in general you should not dismiss a grand parents influence on a grand child like some on here have. However, I do not know how much influence Gary had on Bryce.

So who will Bryce select? I have no idea to tell you the truth. I think each school offers him a little bit of something he is looking for. In the end, I believe his mom was intrigued with him playing in the ACC, thus all the crystal balls to Syracuse. I'll tell you what it won't come down to: winning success as of late or arena size, like some have suggested. What it might come down to: the bond he establishes with the coach, immediate playing time, playing style, location, and satisfying his parents.

The dark horse might be Georgetown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom