Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

That’s fine. I think we are short handed again. Maybe if we are on the bubble again this year people will admit we have problems.

IF we stay healthy, there's nothing wrong with the following non-center minutes.

Howard 35
Brissett 35
Dolezaj 30
Hughes 30
Carey 30

Then plug Buddy and HW in with whatever minutes you think they'll get which could be anywhere from 0-8 IMO for one, but not both, of them.

Please stop. This kid was by far more important on this board than he was to our coaching staff. He was a lot more of a Butler player than a Syracuse player. We didn't recruit him early for a reason. He would have been a nice to have. Don't put him anywhere near the recruit that Stewart is. We will do fine this year.

The staff went after him it so was a need and we lost. When was last time we beat anyone in a recruiting battle? Now we are losing kids to Butler? We all know that Stewart is a long shot at best, so don’t pull that one out.

Last edited:
Based on what when was last time we beat anyone in a recruiting battle? Now we are losing kids to Butler? We all know that Stewart is a long shot at best, so don’t pull that one out.
I don't see it as having 'lost a recruiting battle to Butler.' He has a sincere opportunity to start at Butler. He doesn't have that here. Sometimes it's just 'situational.' A lot of people ripped the Jordan Tucker kid for going to Duke when he didn't have an ideal 'situation' for himself. Golden is making the kind of choice Tucker should have made.

Golden probably sensed he wasn’t going to play much next year barring an injury, and he probably realized he’d get recruited over next year.

That aside, obviously we’re still extremely thin at forward. We saw what happened last year with injuries and defections. It’s not healthy - and we’re playing with fire again.

I don't see it as having 'lost a recruiting battle to Butler.' He has a sincere opportunity to start at Butler. He doesn't have that here. Sometimes it's just 'situational.' A lot of people ripped the Jordan Tucker kid for going to Duke when he didn't have an ideal 'situation' for himself. Golden is making the kind of choice Tucker should have made.

Call it what you want we still don't have a big

Was there a lead recruiter or was it all hands on deck effort?

Probably all hands on deck pretty much since we haven't been recruiting him and there's no relationship. We have the one pic here that shows all 4 coaches at a game but that was probably because of Baz playing. Think there was another pic or article someplace that mentioned Gmac and Griff seeing him.

It's not a devastating loss, but its a bad sign.

This is correct. People can downplay next year and the ramifications, but Syracuse should win this recruiting battle 90 times out of 100.

We are currently at about 65 out of 100 with these kids and far lower with top tier guys.

People scoffed at me when I said I liked the future of our football program better. I stand by my statement.

This is correct. People can downplay next year and the ramifications, but Syracuse should win this recruiting battle 90 times out of 100.

We are currently at about 65 out of 100 with these kids and far lower with top tier guys.

People scoffed at me when I said I liked the future of our football program better. I stand by my statement.

Young (relatively speaking) dynamic offensive coach vs. 73 year old one system coach. If we can keep Dino, I think you’re right.

A bit over the top... Golden could just be a kid looking to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. He committed to a Pitt program that was way down and Butler, while good is a small market team and he immediately becomes a huge recruit for them who may even start.

That’s awesome. So what about the single data point you have says we wouldn’t win this 90 out of a 100?

Historically, we've been able to overcome the "immediate playing time" card when used against us. We are no longer able to do so. I think fewer kids want to wait, but I also think we're not able to sell the SU experience as well as we once did.

Lots of backtracking in this thread. The staff felt he’d fill a need. We lost. Considering stuff happens, we really need another forward. We lost two from our roster. We need another. It’s pretty simple.

Historically, we've been able to overcome the "immediate playing time" card when used against us. We are no longer able to do so. I think fewer kids want to wait, but I also think we're not able to sell the SU experience as well as we once did.

The more I look at the Butler roster the more I think it is playing time this year. Their 4 graduated. Another kid that played the 4 graduated. They have 2 other kids returning that played the 4/5 and they averaged 5ppg and 2ppg. I haven't looked at who they've recruited.

We'll go after someone else. I honestly don't think the staff wants to roll with 2.5 players for the forwards
(least I'm saying this in my brain to keep myself calm LOL)

Certainly this is plausible but what is the real root cause behind it? Is it really JB and his age? Or is it that we aren't really going hard after the kids we know for a fact they probably can't contribute right away?

Its always "next year" with some of you. Wait until next year that class will be a monster class. These are the type of program kids we need to get to have success the way we recruit. We never going to have a monster class so not getting kids like this is a big loss. You cant lose recruiting battles to Butler you just can't. Not a pretty picture no matter what colors you use.

That’s awesome. So what about the single data point you have says we wouldn’t win this 90 out of a 100?

Didn’t know this was a fact-finding board. Thought it was a fan message board. Can you point me there?

Ya know, where fans speculate and give opinions?

IF we stay healthy, there's nothing wrong with the following non-center minutes.

Howard 35
Brissett 35
Dolezaj 30
Hughes 30
Carey 30

Then plug Buddy and HW in with whatever minutes you think they'll get which could be anywhere from 0-8 IMO for one, but not both, of them.
This is an interesting way to look at 160 minutes
40 minutes for 4 positions. Like you said this doesn’t even equate to plug-in a few minutes taken away for Washington and Buddy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom