Class of 2018 - PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Bryce Golden (MD) to Butler

Butler has squat returning at the 4. Something like 7ppg total between 2 guys. He sees PT at the 4. Golden and Tucker both there now. Ugh.
Ok, well that definitely explains this decision a bit more. It’s all about immediate playing time with some kids, and that’s understandable. Man, I hope Marek doesn’t pull a disappearing act this summer!

Sid was the walking dead last year so basically we had one body in the post. So your telling me we don’t need another big man. The coaches thought so that’s we had to go after this kid

This kid isn’t a 5 either. Can we put him there? Sure, we put Marek there this past season. And this kids only 6’7ish. Tough kid but not a true center.

The SU experience evidently has been less than ideal recently for...

Patterson
Joseph
BJ Johnson
Thompson
Thorpe
Moyer

Whether asked to leave or leaving on their own volition...not good for a team that lacks depth. And the PR sucks.
Don't forget Chinoso Obuko. Was always a project but could have provided valuable minutes if he ever developed. Yes, losing guys to transfer who could contribute down the line is getting tiring.

Call it what you want we still don't have a big
Not saying we don't need depth. I'm just saying i'm not upset we don't have that guy in our program for multiple years. Seriously, did you look at his videos and believe he was going to have any kind of impact in the ACC? Moyer had more ability.

Golden made a sound decision. That's what i'm calling it.

Please stop. This kid was by far more important on this board than he was to our coaching staff. He was a lot more of a Butler player than a Syracuse player. We didn't recruit him early for a reason. He would have been a nice to have. Don't put him anywhere near the recruit that Stewart is. We will do fine this year.
I guess I’m going with Dasher’s take on this. I don’t want to be depressed. I like our roster for next season, but we definitely need more forward depth in case of injuries. Hopefully Braswell? I don’t see why Hughes can’t play some 3. Mali did it in 2015-16, though our defense probably suffered a bit because of it. Hughes will hopefully give us more offense in that lineup to offset having less length on defense.

Last edited:
The fact he chose Butler speaks volumes. The coaching staff knew exactly what type of player Golden is, and more to the point, Golden knows exactly what type of player he is. He chose Butler because he believes it's a good fit for him, and he for it. That should tell us everything we need to know.

Best of luck to him. Move along, nothing more to see here.

I guess I’m going with Dasher’s take on this. I don’t want to be depressed. I like our roster for next season, but we definitely need more forward depth in case of injuries. Hopefully Braswell? I don’t see why Hughes can’t play some 3. Mali did it in 2015-16, though our defense probably suffered a bit because of Hughes will hopefully give us more offense in that lineup to offset having less length on defense.

Hughes will play some 3.

Not saying we don't need depth. I'm just saying i'm not upset we don't have that guy in our program for multiple years. Seriously, did you look at his videos and believe he was going to have any kind of impact in the ACC? Moyer had more ability.

Golden made a sound decision. That's what i'm calling it.

Golden is a better player than Moyer. That’s quite evident. Moyer is a great kid, brings a lot of energy off the bench, but his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess I’m going with Dasher’s take on this. I don’t want to be depressed. I like our roster for next season, but we definitely need more forward depth in case of injuries. Hopefully Braswell? I don’t see why Hughes can’t play some 3. Mali did it in 2015-16, though our defense probably suffered a bit because of Hughes will hopefully give us more offense in that lineup to offset having less length on defense.

Hughes will play some 3. And Dolezaj will play some 4 if Brissett has foul trouble or is injured.

We see kids not wanting to wait with the whole OAD culture and kids choosing to transfer for more PT over being a four year “program guy.” I think this is just reality and the name on the front of the jersey doesn’t matter like it once did.
You may be right.

I agree that it’s tough to nab a kid you jumped in on at the last minute. That said, there was a time where a kid would’ve been overjoyed we jumped in late.
It happened last year!

Please stop. This kid was by far more important on this board than he was to our coaching staff. He was a lot more of a Butler player than a Syracuse player. We didn't recruit him early for a reason. He would have been a nice to have. Don't put him anywhere near the recruit that Stewart is. We will do fine this year.
Agree. Never good to lose a recruit but the fact is, Golden isn’t as long or athletic as the ideal Syracuse 4. He would have been at best a decent defensive player on the baseline and a liability in the middle. You can get away with a 6’7 4 in league they calls itself the Big East but it is tough to do that in the ACC.

There will be a clear path to a ton of PT for an incoming class of 2019 4 now and I bet he will be longer, quicker, a better shot blocker and better suited for the SU program than Golden would be. Golden is a fine player who will be well in college and honestly, he probably made a great choice for himself heading to Butler. I wish he well there.

It will be interesting to see if this closes the 2018 class or not.

Agree. I was lost on the Battle connection unless he was saying that if Battle came back, Hughes can focus on playing the 3 more?
Just in terms of having more offense and depth.

Fact is that the staff thought this kid could help the team. They recruited him and offered him. Meaning they thought he could play in the ACC and for us. Not getting him and losing him to Butler is not good regardless of where he is ranked or what you think of his fit or what you think of his game. Fact is staff looked at him liked him recruited him and offered him. He picked another school.

He wants to play immediately and go under the radar at a program where the expectations aren't high. He could have gone to Georgetown where he would have had to compete for minutes on a team that looks to be better next season. Says all you need to know. On to the next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom