Class of 2023 - PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
One addendum to my previous post, I know I've been pretty harsh on JB lately, but I promise I don't want to see him go out this way.

He's been a constant in my life literally since I've had a memory. Syracuse bball and fball were my first favorite teams and I fell in love with them quickly and never stopped being a fan. JB has brought me a million great memories. I grew up in upstate and wanted to attend SU my whole life - which I did, both undergrad and grad basically because I had fell in love with the school at four years old. My mom's best friend, when I told her I was going to SU, said, "you've had that dream since I've known you".

When the team won the title in 2003, the first two calls were from my parents because they knew how much it meant to me.

I don't like any of this. I want him to go out on top. I want at least one more Final Four run where he gets to play chess while his opposition is playing checkers. Where he gets to brilliantly dismantle some up and coming opposing coach, where a plethora of his ex players are in the stands cheering him and the team on.

But we aren't there. And the program is in a precarious place. We need to fix it. Whatever that fix might be, we need to move towards it and quickly.

You can't govern if you don't win the campaign. And while I think Fielder would excel here under JB's tutelage, he likely won't have the shot to grow the kid because he'll be at Providence.
The emergency flashing red lights should be blinding to Wildhack right now:
As you said, Mike: “the program is in a precarious place. We need to fix it. Whatever that fix might be, we need to move towards it and quickly.”

Last edited:
“the program is in a precarious place. We need to fix it. Whatever that fix might be, we need to move towards it and quickly.”
Yeah, but he can't do anything now. Practice starts next week. This should be JB's last year unless he miraculously wins 23 plus games and gets us into the Sweet 16. Anything less than that and it's over. He's had plenty of time to pump the water out of his sinking ship.

Yeah, but he can't do anything now. Practice starts next week. This should be JB's last year unless he miraculously wins 23 plus games and gets us into the Sweet 16. Anything less than that and it's over. He's had plenty of time to pump the water out of his sinking ship.

Yep. This is the year where it's show me

There's a big difference in going to AAU events then going to visit someone in their hometown. Every coach is at AAU events. We send Gerry and Red.

Maybe you ignore when he does travel? Do you know where he was last Thursday? Talking about events, JB went to plenty. I remember one trip from NE, to Atlanta to Chicago. I remember numerous tweets with a pic of JB and other coaches in the stands. I remember people here saying JB was putting in the work because of those tweets. Now they all go away?

Maybe you ignore when he does travel? Do you know where he was last Thursday? Talking about events, JB went to plenty. I remember one trip from NE, to Atlanta to Chicago. I remember numerous tweets with a pic of JB and other coaches in the stands. I remember people here saying JB was putting in the work because of those tweets. Now they all go away?
I said he went to AAU events. That's not the issue.

“the program is in a precarious place. We need to fix it. Whatever that fix might be, we need to move towards it and quickly.”
Unfortunately they let JB stay after the 2nd probation, when he should have retired. Now you are stuck with him and he won't retire anytime soon.

The issue isn't that at times he goes to events. He does. But he isn't matching the work ethic that almost every other Head coach is making. I am surprised that you can't see the difference. If he goes to 5 of 10 things he should be going to, is that enough? Of course it isn't. I don't think anyone has said he never goes anywhere. But does he put the effort in that his rivals are putting in. He isn't. Is he putting the effort in that he did when he was younger? No. He isn't. And the results are out there for everyone to see. Talk to his ass'ts. They know. There has not been a bigger jb supporter than me over the last 40 years. But the effort isn't there anymore. Nor are the results. Look at our record over the last 8 years.

I said he went to AAU events. That's not the issue.

Did you research where he was last Thursday? And while I’m not going to say always because that would be wrong, JB does make home visits. And personally I don’t think where he visited fields or not played any role in his decision. And I’ll repeat what I said before, I don’t think there’s a coach who makes a home visit to every recruit. Even fields only got a home visit from Cooley. The other 17 visited during a team workout it sounds.

The issue isn't that at times he goes to events. He does. But he isn't matching the work ethic that almost every other Head coach is making. I am surprised that you can't see the difference. If he goes to 5 of 10 things he should be going to, is that enough? Of course it isn't. I don't think anyone has said he never goes anywhere. But does he put the effort in that his rivals are putting in. He isn't. Is he putting the effort in that he did when he was younger? No. He isn't. And the results are out there for everyone to see. Talk to his ass'ts. They know. There has not been a bigger jb supporter than me over the last 40 years. But the effort isn't there anymore. Nor are the results. Look at our record over the last 8 years.

I just think some of it is blown up.

Did you research where he was last Thursday? And while I’m not going to say always because that would be wrong, JB does make home visits. And personally I don’t think where he visited fields or not played any role in his decision. And I’ll repeat what I said before, I don’t think there’s a coach who makes a home visit to every recruit. Even fields only got a home visit from Cooley. The other 17 visited during a team workout it sounds.
This isn’t a micro complaint. It’s a macro complaint. He’s consistently out worked and it’s been that way for a few years now. I don’t blame him as he’s almost 80, but that means its time to hand this over to a younger person who has more energy.

Last edited:
I really wanted Drew to visit us. I still hold out hope that he will. I thought that would make the difference in our favor. I can't believe that a visit to P.C. would seal this deal.
How could you hold out hope? He is committing tonight!

Bees it doesn't matter where he was last Thursday.

We're coming off a losing season and we're having a recruit cancel his official visit to commit to another program. When has that happened?

There are reasons why we're not getting the results we used to, in games and on the recruiting trail.

JB isn't immortal. The program is basically held hostage right now to an uncertain future, caused by JB.

How could you hold out hope? He is committing tonight!
Well, he 1. hasn't committed yet. 2. even if he does, he can still take his visit. You might remember that we had a kid commit to Mich named Battle who flipped to us. And just last year, we had not one but two kids flip against us. All I want is the visit.

He won’t be signing anything yet. It’s happened before.
I give you a lot of credit for being eternally optimistic, but you sir, are almost on this island by yourself. There isn't one person on here that isn't 100% behind what the staff did with last year's recruiting class, but if doesn't sign one 2023 quality recruit and minimizes the portal, and the team underperforms this season, then it is going to be pretty ugly. We know JAB has done well when he is down, but the circumstances seem not to be working in his favor.

Providence made sweet 16 last year - first time since 1997

1997 sweet 16
2016 - round of 32
2022 - sweet 16

no other years past first round - not exactly lighting it up
Recruiting wise and regular season record does matter. And they’ve been superior in both. Yeah, every now and then Jimmy catches lightning in a bottle in the tourney…

Okay, the Fielder recruitment is over. He isn't going to visit. I feel very secure in telling everyone here that the staff is stunned. And Fielder has never met JB. I doubt he ever will now. I really believe that if he visited here Friday night, with that football game, with his visit to JB's home, and all the rest, he commits here.

Okay, the Fielder recruitment is over. He isn't going to visit. I feel very secure in telling everyone here that the staff is stunned. And Fielder has never met JB. I doubt he ever will now. I really believe that if he visited here Friday night, with that football game, with his visit to JB's home, and all the rest, he commits here.
Lol. Heard this before too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors