Class of 2023 - PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF/C Drew Fielder (CA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is saying that Fielder or any other recruit is mad at JB for not visiting them. It's a process. It's just that a kid might feel more wanted at a school where the Head coach went out of his way to go see him rather than a school where the Head Coach waited until he showed up at his school. It doesn't have to be a big issue with the kid. Just something he notices. Like when Brey had his entire staff visit JJ when all we had was Red. Like that.
Couldn’t have said it better

How do you know he hasn’t called 100 times. And how deep of a relationship can you build when you’ve been on him only a few weeks and when dozens of other coaches are going to be there to watch an open gym or whatever it was.

Let’s turn it around. Kudos to Gmac for going up against all those coaches and coming away with an official visit.
I agree, big kudos to Gmac and Red. Great bounce back to find this kid and build a relationship quickly. I think the assistants have been talking to and watching this kid all summer but didn’t offer until we got the verdict on JP, who we had a year of recruiting invested in.

In terms of building relationships, I think of JJ Starling and his comments that he was able to build a real relationship with Mike Brey (in part because La Lumiere was so close to ND) and came to trust him. Kamari Lands and Dior both said the same thing about wanting to build a real relationship with their head coach, the implication being they didn’t have one with JB. I just think kids struggle to relate to JB due to his age, his cynicism, his cranky irascibility, and overall old school approach. We’ll see what happens with Drew. Hopefully he loves his Syracuse visit and we land him.

Last edited:
I agree, big kudos to Gmac and Red. Great bounce back to find this kid and build a relationship quickly. I think the assistants have been talking to and watching this kid all summer but didn’t offer until we got the verdict on JP, who we had a year of recruiting invested in.

In terms of building relationships, I think of JJ Starling and his comments that he was able to build a real relationship with Mike Brey (in part because La Lumiere was so close to ND) and came to trust him. Kamari Lands and Dior both said the same thing about wanting to build a real relationship with their head coach, the implication being they didn’t have one with JB. I just think kids struggle to relate to JB due to his age, his cynicism, his cranky irascibility, and overall old school approach. We’ll see what happens with Drew. Hopefully he loves his Syracuse visit and we land him.
JJ’s coach having ties to ND and the school being in Indiana didn’t help us either

How it started:
It call a good guess that all no more you been wrong more then right so stop the self back patting I've seen you wrong way more then right so get off your high horse

How it's going:
slapped-abused.gif

Bees I do have a question for you though. Regardless if it’s “legal” or not, do you think with this list of example NIL deals….that the schools had zero influence or handle in any of it?

Don’t really know but reading that whole article it talks about “opportunity” more than anything. It is important for current student athletes to get good NIL deals because transfers, and recruits, can see what potential opportunities there are. I also believe schools can point out opportunities. SU, and many other schools, use INFLKR which is a database of opportunities that athletes can access. You may have missed it but the article about Girard and his NIL deals has some NIL data in it from the INFLKR owner.

Regarding Dior and Kamari, I really believed that there were really difficult maturity issues that affected their decisions. With Dior, I am not positive but believe it was mutual that he should go elsewhere. On Kamari, the decision was his to see what he could better find NIL wise elsewhere. He seemed to consider a lot of different schools before he ended up at Louisville.

JJ was never staying home. That was known in B'Ville since 9th grade. His parents wanted him here. He didn't want to be. Everything else is a smokescreen.
I can confirm that going back a few years even before 9th grade.
We wouldn’t have recruited him if we thought it was something we couldn’t overcome. Kids change their minds all the time on things like this.

Didn’t know Red was there too. He wasn’t in the picture.

I don’t see anyone twisting themselves into knots defending anything. For me I just don’t see it as a huge deal. The visit will be a bigger deal. If he felt slighted by JB he probably doesn’t even make a visit. But as another opinion, as good as this kid looks and would possibly be very good for SU, I’d rather have Patterson if given the choice between the two. Not because I think Patterson will be the better player but because Patterson to me looks like he’d be a beast as an inside defender. I love those kind of players and they’re hard to find. Nirvana would be getting both.
Interesting stance. I prefer Fielder for that exact reason. I think a skilled inside/outside 2way 6'9 guy is harder to find than a 6'10 rim protector. I think Fielder would add great versatility to both ends of the court. Granted both types are difficult to find but we seem to be able to find the 6'10 defensive centers more easily than say a Tyler Lydon.

Last edited:
But next yr better than this? Even if Mintz is back. Losing Jesse and even Joe, are big losses.
Maybe the thought is they'll have a really good base of talents, athletes, and versatility who've had a year in the program so they could be 1-2 good transfers away from a deep tourney run? Conservatively, they should have 5 Sophmores who can span the 5 positions they are really bullish on. Plush depth at the 5. And, I'd assume another year of Benny.

Maybe the thought is they'll have a really good base of talents, athletes, and versatility who've had a year in the program so they could be 1-2 good transfers away from a deep tourney run? Conservatively, they should have 5 Sophmores who can span the 5 positions they are really bullish on. Plush depth at the 5. And, I'd assume another year of Benny.
Can’t see Jesse back

Fielder and his parents are having a great visit according to many sources. I'm sure his teammate Garwey Dual already a PC commit has been in his ear. Some recruiting gurus are predicting a commit to the friars. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom