Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osun visited Syracuse knowing full well what type of program we are. He visited Syracuse because we are a great place to play college basketball, with pedigree, a HOF coach, and the Carrier Dome. If he only desired a economy car (to use your analogy) he would've never visited the Cadillac dealership. IMO, we didn't close. It's just that simple.

How do we know we didn't close? Isn't that presumptuous?

How do we know we didn't close? Isn't that presumptuous?
You're right. If you follow the thread, you'll see that in previous posts we've been writing about this being perceived (or not) as a swing and miss if he chooses SB over SU. This is the first time in the entire thread that I didn't phrase it that way. I hope we sign him. The impression I get (and I certainly could be wrong) is that we're not expecting to land him because of the number of posts rationalizing the miss.

Osun visited Syracuse knowing full well what type of program we are. He visited Syracuse because we are a great place to play college basketball, with pedigree, a HOF coach, and the Carrier Dome. If he only desired a economy car (to use your analogy) he would've never visited the Cadillac dealership. IMO, we didn't close. It's just that simple.
recruits have their own criteria that are independent of our biased opinions of the relative merits of various schools.

the bottom line: coming out of sanctions, syracuse recruiting is in a good space regardless of whether or not the 3rd string center slot gets filled this cycle

Last edited:

There's just not a whole lot of logic here. To continue the car analogy, maybe he wants an economy car but still he wants to look at a Cadillac. He goes to see the Caddy, thinks about it and decides that he's still more comfortable with the economy car. And that's because the Cadillac sales person didn't do their job? Or if he didn't really want the Cadillac why did he go see it in the first place? How about he just wanted to see it for himself? No other factors came into play, it was a simple decision -- we got heated seats, they don't? That ain't real life.

There's just not a whole lot of logic here. To continue the car analogy, maybe he wants an economy car but still he wants to look at a Cadillac. He goes to see the Caddy, thinks about it and decides that he's still more comfortable with the economy car. And that's because the Cadillac sales person didn't do their job? Or if he didn't really want the Cadillac why did he go see it in the first place? How about he just wanted to see it for himself? No other factors came into play, it was a simple decision -- we got heated seats, they don't? That ain't real life.

I agree it's not the best analogy. It wasn't my analogy to begin with. I will say this. That its very unusual for someone to shop for a economy car and a cadillac. Usually you are comparison shopping. and look at similar models (test ride a honda civic or a toyota corolla for example).

That said, if I had the opportunity to test drive an economy car or a Cadillac, and was told that I could have either and the price was free for both (scholarship) I'd surely take the Cadillac EVERY TIME.

I know the analogy is ridiculous, but that was the analogy originally posted, which I responded to. I simply think we swung and missed badly (if he does not commit to SU). IMO, under NO circumstances should a kid commit to St Bonaventure over Syracuse EVER.

That said, if I had the opportunity to test drive an economy car or a Cadillac, and was told that I could have either and the price was free for both (scholarship) I'd surely take the Cadillac EVERY TIME.
the analogy as you say is imperfect. it might well be more like this:

you can sit in the garage and look at the cadillac, help keep it maintained, maybe drive it once in a while for a few minutes at a time a few times a year, until your 3rd year or so. unless between now and then we get another driver we like more than you. because we are syracuse, after all, and we typically recruit in deeper waters than you are coming from.

or you can take the honda civic and start driving it right away

the analogy as you say is imperfect. it might well be more like this:

you can sit in the garage and look at the cadillac, help keep it maintained, maybe drive it once in a while for a few minutes at a time a few times a year, until your 3rd year or so. unless between now and then we get another driver we like more than you. because we are syracuse, after all, and we typically recruit in deeper waters than you are coming from.

or you can take the honda civic and start driving it right away

I still think this is silly but I'll entertain it...

I think Osun has ample opportunity to "drive the Cadillac" this year at Syracuse, with the health status and foul propensity of our big men. If I'm him I'd take a chance at an opportunity to play in year one in a Cadillac that just might drive me to the NBA someday, over having a economy car that I can ride daily that will take me nowhere for the same amount of money.

Truth be told, this is pointless. We are debating opinions with a ridiculous analogy. I cannot prove my opinion is right anymore than anyone else. Perhaps we should all just let it be what it is. It really is ok to agree to disagree on a message board. I think it is an unacceptable recruiting miss (assuming he commits to SB). Anyone can think it's OK to lose a recruit to St Bonaventure if they choose.

Last edited:
If I'm him I'd take a chance at an opportunity to play in year one in a Cadillac that just might drive me to the NBA someday, over having a economy car that I can ride daily that will take me nowhere for the same amount of money.

Truth be told, this is pointless. We are debating opinions with a ridiculous analogy. I cannot prove my opinion is right anymore than anyone else. Perhaps we should all just let it be what it is. It really is ok to agree to disagree on a message board. I think it is an unacceptable recruiting miss (assuming he commits to SB). Anyone can think it's OK to lose a recruit to St Bonaventure if they choose.
the point is, and you don't seem to get it: you are not him. you think the syracuse brand is the beginning and the end of the conversation.
i'm not him, either, but i can easily imagine that he might be motivated by other desires. and if that is the case, it is not a failure on the part of our recruiting. there is nothing empirically "unacceptable" about it.
it seems like you are setting a trap, so you can use the failure to land a 3rd string center as a rhetorical point to bash the staff.

the point is, and you don't seem to get it: you are not him. you think the syracuse brand is the beginning and the end of the conversation.
i'm not him, either, but i can easily imagine that he might be motivated by other desires. and if that is the case, it is not a failure on the part of our recruiting. there is nothing empirically "unacceptable" about it.
it seems like you are setting a trap, so you can use the failure to land a 3rd string center as a rhetorical point to bash the staff.
The point is, and you don't seem to get it: everyone on this board, including me, has a right to voice an opinion, whether it is agreed upon by the majority or not, so long as it's done so in a polite manner. I have done that. I stand by my opinion, that I think Syracuse should NEVER, under any circtumstances, lose a recruit to St. Bonaventure. You are free to disagree.

You are also incorrect in your assumption about what I think of the Syracuse brand. Perception has changed due several reasons (sanctions among them). But against the likes of St Bonaventure, IMO, we should ALWAYS stack up quite favorably. I have no desire to bash the staff. When they deserve praise, I give it. When I think they've screwed up, I'll say it. Believe whatever you want.

Last edited:
The point is, and you don't seem to get it: everyone on this board, including me, has a right to voice an opinion, whether it is agreed upon by the majority or not, so long as it's done so in a polite manner. I have done that. I stand by my opinion, that I think Syracuse should NEVER, under any circtumstances, lose a recruit to St. Bonaventure. You are free to disagree.

You are also incorrect in your assumption about what I think of the Syracuse brand. Perception has changed due several reasons (sanctions among them). But against the likes of St Bonaventure, IMO, we should ALWAYS stack up quite favorably.

Well, except in that the coach who probably recruited him to Lasalle is now with the Bonnies, so we don’t (necessarily) have a trump card for that much longer-standing relationship.

THAT is why we might “lose a recruting battle” to the Bonnies - and it’s a completely legit reason.

Well, except in that the coach who probably recruited him to Lasalle is now with the Bonnies, so we don’t (necessarily) have a trump card for that much longer-standing relationship.

THAT is why we might “lose a recruting battle” to the Bonnies - and it’s a completely legit reason.
I get what you're saying. If the school was Villanova (or Butler) and Osun chose them over us because of a relationship with an assistant coach, I'd be inclined to agree with you. In this case I just don't see it that way. I wasn't grumbling after Bryce Golden chose Butler over SU because Butler is a legit program. The Bonnies are not.

You are also incorrect in your assumption about what I think of the Syracuse brand. Perception has changed due several reasons (sanctions among them). But against the likes of St Bonaventure, IMO, we should ALWAYS stack up quite favorably. I have no desire to bash the staff. When they deserve praise, I give it. When I think they've screwed up, I'll say it. Believe whatever you want.
of course everyone has a right to an opinion and nobody is saying you can't voice it

but you don't have a right to voice it and not get pushback.

of course everyone has a right to an opinion and nobody is saying you can't voice it

I agree with what you are saying, but I will fight your right to say it!

Bring it... LOL. I hold my own. Me thinks you are wasting your breath, however.

I agree with what you are saying, but I will fight your right to say it!
It's comical... people have said something similar in the past. They say you are free to have any opinion you want, and then in the next breath they negate it by debating it with you forever until you recant. It's actually quite amusing. I got thick skin :)

This is only post I’ve read in this recent thread but that’s really crazy that you view this 100% in the abstract and absolutes and give no credit to fact that some kids may have personal factors for dozens of reasons about which you have no idea.

This is only post I’ve read in this recent thread but that’s really crazy that you view this 100% in the abstract and absolutes and give no credit to fact that some kids may have personal factors for dozens of reasons about which you have no idea.
You have every right to disagree with me. Thirty more people can write the same thing, and I'll continue to maintain my opinion that it's unacceptable to lose a recruit to the Bonnies. Maybe if we'd landed another big man, or there was someone left to recruit that was any good, I wouldn't feel this strongly. I'm actually quite high on our chances next year. I think we can be special. But I think our chances are reduced by the lack of depth at the center position due to the health issues/foul propensity of our big guys. I would hate to think we lose a chance at a special season next year because of this reason. JB's time is running out at SU. He can't coach forever. I'd like to see him go out on top... oh wait... apparently I'm plotting ways to bash the staff... THAT is the crazy part of this thread.

Last edited:
You have every right to disagree with me. Thirty more people can write the same thing, and I'll continue to maintain my opinion that it's unacceptable to lose a recruit to the Bonnies. Maybe if we'd landed another big man, or there was someone left to recruit that was any good, I wouldn't feel this strongly. I'm actually quite high on our chances next year. I think we can be special. But I think our chances are reduced by the lack of depth at the center position due to the health issues/foul propensity of our big guys. I would hate to think we lose a chance at a special season next year because of this reason. JB's time is running out at SU. He can't coach forever. I'd like to see him go out on top... oh wait... there's others that secretly think I'm plotting ways to bash the staff. Ridiculous.

I think no such thing. It’s just ridiculous when fans view and judge personal and critically important decisions to go pro, where to go to college, whether to transfer etc. as if they have all the pertinent facts. This is not fantasy football it’s real life for real people.

I think no such thing. It’s just ridiculous when fans view and judge personal and critically important decisions to go pro, where to go to college, whether to transfer etc. as if they have all the pertinent facts. This is not fantasy football it’s real life for real people.
I agree with you. OO should decide for himself where he should go. Never said he shouldn't. What I said, and I stand by it, is that we didn't do a good enough job with our sales pitch (if we don't land him). We should never have to convince a recruit to choose SU over the Bonnies.

I agree with you. OO should decide for himself where he should go. Never said he shouldn't. What I said, and I stand by it, is that we didn't do a good enough job with our sales pitch (if we don't land him). We should never have to convince a recruit to choose SU over the Bonnies.

Sigh.

People have different reasons for doing what they do, or deciding what they decide, than those you might ascribe to the situation.

Maybe he wants to be THE guy rather than A guy.

Maybe he prefers the color brown to orange?

We’ve only been after him for a few weeks, vs the coach now with the Bonnies who may have a relationship that dates in years with this kid.

And if we “lose” him, it may be because it came down to some or all (or none) of these reasons -

And not at all whether we “recruited him hard enough”.

Sigh.

People have different reasons for doing what they do, or deciding what they decide, than those you might ascribe to the situation.

Maybe he wants to be THE guy rather than A guy.

Maybe he prefers the color brown to orange?

We’ve only been after him for a few weeks, vs the coach now with the Bonnies who may have a relationship that dates in years with this kid.

And if we “lose” him, it may be because it came down to some or all (or none) of these reasons -

And not at all whether we “recruited him hard enough”.

Sigh...
maybe you're right. maybe I'm right. maybe we're both a bit right.

maybe we've lost our recruiting touch. maybe gmac is secretly his father. maybe I have dementia.
maybe it's time to drop it. y'all think one way, and I don't. C'est la vie. The world will carry on...

Status
Not open for further replies.