Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. OO should decide for himself where he should go. Never said he shouldn't. What I said, and I stand by it, is that we didn't do a good enough job with our sales pitch (if we don't land him). We should never have to convince a recruit to choose SU over the Bonnies.
... “he wanted the opportunity to learn the principles of the game in a slower paced setting, where the coach would be able to give him the attention he desired." Adonal Foyle. Yes, he had been adopted by Colgate professors, which obviously had something to do with his decision, but was that also a failure by our staff? Does any player, also recruited by a high profile program, who chooses a mid-major immediately become a failure for the staff that missed out on him?

... “he wanted the opportunity to learn the principles of the game in a slower paced setting, where the coach would be able to give him the attention he desired." Adonal Foyle. Yes, he had been adopted by Colgate professors, which obviously had something to do with his decision, but was that also a failure by our staff? Does any player, also recruited by a high profile program, who chooses a mid-major immediately become a failure for the staff that missed out on him?
Depends who you ask.

I think I've explained my rationale like a gazillion times in this thread. Carry on, as I must get my beauty sleep for the night. I'll be sure to check how badly I get bashed over night in the morning. LOL

The same people excusing losing recruits to lesser tier teams are the same people who called us a selector school 4 years ago.

Bring it... LOL. I hold my own. Me thinks you are wasting your breath, however.
you are not the audience i'm speaking to, just the medium

H0T Takes! H0T Takes everywhere!
ED4AC785-8669-4FC2-834D-C8D9EBC39D96.gif

This thread...

Thirty more people can write the same thing, and I'll continue to maintain my opinion that it's unacceptable to lose a recruit to the Bonnies.
That statement taken as face vaule is 100% correct. ACC conference. Great history of getting players drafted in the 1st round. Playing for a Hall of Fame coach in front of 22,000+ on a regular basis and on national TV. No doubt about it.

HOWEVER!!!! Circumstances are different for different players. Some would rather be a big fish in a small pond. Doesn't make those players any less talented than if they played at the Cuse. If the kid doesn't want to come here. Fine. go play in Olean, NY in a glorified HS gym, at a school where less than 2000 kids go and the town only has 11,000 residents.

That statement taken as face vaule is 100% correct. ACC conference. Great history of getting players drafted in the 1st round. Playing for a Hall of Fame coach in front of 22,000+ on a regular basis and on national TV. No doubt about it.

HOWEVER!!!! Circumstances are different for different players. Some would rather be a big fish in a small pond. Doesn't make those players any less talented than if they played at the Cuse. If the kid doesn't want to come here. Fine. go play in Olean, NY in a glorified HS gym, at a school where less than 2000 kids go and the town only has 11,000 residents.

No matter how many times you all write it, I still disagree. There is ZERO acceptable reasons to lose a recruit to St Bonaventure, IMO. But we can make this thread 100 pages if you all want to keep quoting me. A great way to get the focus off losing Osun (if that indeed happens) is to land someone else. I hope the staff are pounding away!!! :)

Last edited:
All that stuff was BS. The Colgate folks wanted control of the cash cow.

If Bonnie's were to be the choice, it would not be a basketball choice. Maybe the kid saw a chance to live in a different type of environment for a few years to see what it's like. Who knows? He could be this century's Eddie Albert.

If Bonnie's were to be the choice, it would not be a basketball choice. Maybe the kid saw a chance to live in a different type of environment for a few years to see what it's like. Who knows? He could be this century's Eddie Albert.
As opposed to Marv Albert.

Under normal conditions SU wouldn’t lose a player to St. Bonaventure. But this entire recruiting cycle has not been normal for SU. Too many unexpected hurdles, consequently we’ve been late getting on most of these kids. Not much time to develop relationships and trust.

Under normal conditions SU wouldn’t lose a player to St. Bonaventure. But this entire recruiting cycle has not been normal for SU. Too many unexpected hurdles, consequently we’ve been late getting on most of these kids. Not much time to develop relationships and trust.

Braswell was similar situation and we signed him. I’m beginning to worry about a certain someone.

Personally, I think Boeheims playing only 6 to 7.5 guys has an effect on recruiting depth. While OO would get some minutes especially if Sid's knee continues to plague him and Chewies foul problems I'm not sure he'll see it that way. If it were me, I'd see that Brissett is going to play 40 minutes so that is out. Merek has Boeheims confidence so he'll be close to 35 unless he gets in foul trouble. If you're good enough to start then you are thrilled but the pine, especially during the ACC games, will get harder and harder as the season progresses. This is also part of the reason why there is no depth. Kids see this. Yes, some are confident and say they will be the 35 minute guy which is good but when they are sitting over and over again...things change quickly. This may be a part of OO's thinking and as I wrote, if I were him it would be a big part of the equation in my picking of a school.

But I think our chances are reduced by the lack of depth at the center position due to the health issues/foul propensity of our big guys. I would hate to think we lose a chance at a special season next year because of this reason. JB's time is running out at SU. He can't coach forever. I'd like to see him go out on top... oh wait... apparently I'm plotting ways to bash the staff... THAT is the crazy part of this thread.

If you think we are going to have a special season next year if injuries force us to plug OO into the lineup for big minutes, I think you are overvaluing this recruit. I think it gets to the fundamental reason that people are disagreeing with your stance that losing him to St. Bona is a "loss". We are not offering him the same opportunity that they are.

It seems to me that we are offering him a Keita on the upside Greg Davis/Matt Gorman on the downside type of opportunity. I think St. Bona is offering him an opportunity to be a cog in the machine from the early going.

If we were each saying we have a starting center position available next season that we want you to fill, then I would agree that losing him to St. Bona would be a "loss", but just looking at the two programs and their rosters I don't think the roles available at each school are even remotely similar.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t it be a basketball choice?? He has a way better Chance of playing from day 1 than he does at Syracuse. Some of you have to look past the St Bonnies vs Syracuse thing. He already committed to a smaller school, maybe he’s more comfortable playing at a smaller school.

There are no former LaSalle coaches on the Bonnies staff so how do they have an advantage over us in the time to develop trust catagory?

Status
Not open for further replies.