Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think we are going to have a special season next year if injuries force us to plug OO into the lineup for big minutes, I think you are overvaluing this recruit. I think it gets to the fundamental reason that people are disagreeing with your stance that losing him to St. Bona is a "loss". We are not offering him the same opportunity that they are.

It seems to me that we are offering him a Keita on the upside Greg Davis/Matt Gorman on the downside type of opportunity. I think St. Bona is offering him an opportunity to be a cog in the machine from the early going.

If we were each saying we have a starting center position available next season that we want you to fill, then I would agree that losing him to St. Bona would be a "loss", but just looking at the two programs and their rosters I don't think the roles available at each school are even remotely similar.

I do not think Osun is a make it or break it recruit. I've stated that. But it is an unacceptable loss with the depth issue and health status of the center position. There is a big difference between the phrase an "unacceptable loss" and "huge loss." They mean entirely different things. That said, if the staff have someone else in mind that's Osun's equivalent or better, I will reevaluate my stance. But until that player emerges in the 2018 class, I'm inclined to say that this is a swing and a miss, one that cannot happen. Certainly not to the likes of St Bonaventure. PERIOD.

Last edited:
We are not offering him the same opportunity that they are.
This.

If this were a straight apples-to-apples comparison for Osun, deciding between 2 schools that were offering him exactly equal opportunities, I would agree with the posters saying that we simply "cannot lose to St. Bonaventure."

But it's not that, is it? He's deciding not between a major college program and a mid-major, but rather between one type of opportunity/experience and another. He'll decide based on what's important to him, not what we or anyone else think should be important.

Any other analysis, especially one placing blame on our recruiting, simply makes zero sense.

Personally, I think Boeheims playing only 6 to 7.5 guys has an effect on recruiting depth. While OO would get some minutes especially if Sid's knee continues to plague him and Chewies foul problems I'm not sure he'll see it that way. If it were me, I'd see that Brissett is going to play 40 minutes so that is out. Merek has Boeheims confidence so he'll be close to 35 unless he gets in foul trouble. If you're good enough to start then you are thrilled but the pine, especially during the ACC games, will get harder and harder as the season progresses. This is also part of the reason why there is no depth. Kids see this. Yes, some are confident and say they will be the 35 minute guy which is good but when they are sitting over and over again...things change quickly. This may be a part of OO's thinking and as I wrote, if I were him it would be a big part of the equation in my picking of a school.
Good post.

Personally, I think Boeheims playing only 6 to 7.5 guys has an effect on recruiting depth. While OO would get some minutes especially if Sid's knee continues to plague him and Chewies foul problems I'm not sure he'll see it that way. If it were me, I'd see that Brissett is going to play 40 minutes so that is out. Merek has Boeheims confidence so he'll be close to 35 unless he gets in foul trouble. If you're good enough to start then you are thrilled but the pine, especially during the ACC games, will get harder and harder as the season progresses. This is also part of the reason why there is no depth. Kids see this. Yes, some are confident and say they will be the 35 minute guy which is good but when they are sitting over and over again...things change quickly. This may be a part of OO's thinking and as I wrote, if I were him it would be a big part of the equation in my picking of a school.
How many more would you have played last season?

Well do you question him if we sign Akok instead? I don't.

I'm just saying that it seems like Gerry's recruits tend to go elsewhere. Just a feeling. Again, I'd be happy if I'm wrong. Just the way it seems.

I'm just saying that it seems like Gerry's recruits tend to go elsewhere. Just a feeling. Again, I'd be happy if I'm wrong. Just the way it seems.

That wasn't what I posted though was it? He also is the reason we have our only 2019 recruit who averaged 25 a game this last weekend on the circuit. We are in a good spot for Akok. If we sign him I think the Gmac over analysis is stupid.

It is what it is.

That wasn't what I posted though was it? He also is the reason we have our only 2019 recruit who averaged 25 a game this last weekend on the circuit. We are in a good spot for Akok. If we sign him I think the Gmac over analysis is stupid.
Goodine hasn't and can't sign his LOI yet. Just saying... after the Bazely mess. I wish there was a way to be permitted to have guys sign/commit early and be locked in. Anyway, I hope you're right. Akok would be a great pick up. I like him.

Last edited:
Goodine hasn't and can't sign his LOI yet. Just saying... after the Bazely mess. I wish there was a way to be permitted to have guys sign/commit early and be locked in. Anyway, I hope you're right. Akok would be a great pick up. I like him.

Big difference between Bazley and Goodine, but keep on keep'n on...

We will survive without Darius Bazley; we will survive without Osun Osunniyi. I feel sorry for anyone that thinks otherwise.

That being said, I don't get people downplaying Osun's potential impact. Are they trying to prepare themselves for losing a recruit to the Bonnies or G-Town? I just watched tape on Osun and think he could just as easily start for Syracuse as he would St. Bonaventure. He's not as tall (few are), but he is way more agile and coordinated than Chukwu. I was anticipating a turnover every time Paschal had the ball or someone passed it in his direction.

I am excited to see what a healthy Bourama Sidibe looks like, but both his play and availability are question marks right now. I want to believe Sidibe is better than Osun, especially after a year in the program, but that's not a given.

In my opinion, Osun keeping Oshae or Marek from playing center at all next season is a big plus. He's a good rebounder, a good blocker and runs the court well. He'd also give us options at Forward with Braswell rotating in with Marek and Brissett. I'd be excited to get him and disappointed if he went elsewhere. But my Monday will continue if he's not wearing Orange after his decision.

Big difference between Bazley and Goodine, but keep on keep'n on...
I don' t know what you think I was trying to say. I wasn't implying anything. The landscape of the sport is changing. Kids are deciding later and later, and changing their minds more frequently. I don't blame the loss of Bazely on the staff at all. NOT ONE BIT. I am merely pointing out, that until he signs he can still be influenced by other teams. I wish like heck that was different.

I don' t know what you think I was trying to say. I wasn't implying anything. The landscape of the sport is changing. Kids are deciding later and later, and changing their minds more frequently. I don't blame the loss of Bazely on the staff at all. NOT ONE BIT.

Very few kids in basketball change their mind. We just drew the short straw this time. This still is NOTHING like football.

Very few kids in basketball change their mind. We just drew the short straw this time. This still is NOTHING like football.
I'd have to do some research on that. Seems like it's happening more and more. I've got to go earn my paycheck. I'll be back.

We will survive without Darius Bazley; we will survive without Osun Osunniyi. I feel sorry for anyone that thinks otherwise.

That being said, I don't get people downplaying Osun's potential impact. Are they trying to prepare themselves for losing a recruit to the Bonnies or G-Town? I just watched tape on Osun and think he could just as easily start for Syracuse as he would St. Bonaventure. He's not as tall (few are), but he is way more agile and coordinated than Chukwu. I was anticipating a turnover every time Paschal had the ball or someone passed it in his direction.

I am excited to see what a healthy Bourama Sidibe looks like, but both his play and availability are question marks right now. I want to believe Sidibe is better than Osun, especially after a year in the program, but that's not a given.

In my opinion, Osun keeping Oshae or Marek from playing center at all next season is a big plus. He's a good rebounder, a good blocker and runs the court well. He'd also give us options at Forward with Braswell rotating in with Marek and Brissett. I'd be excited to get him and disappointed if he went elsewhere. But my Monday will continue if he's not wearing Orange after his decision.

This kid can play. Doesn't mean that he's going to be optimally ready to play next year as a frosh, but he has the tools to be a starter during his career at SU, if he chooses to come here. That's the main reason I want him -- I want the pipeline stocked with quality talent.

I don't see him playing much next season if Chukwu / Sidibe are healthy. But given how we've sustained injuries the past few years, I don't think we can take anyone's health for granted -- which is why we're actively pursuing. Hope we get good news on Monday.

It’s not even just that, not one of his recruit has really done well on the court. Concern should be with his scouting eye as well.

It’s not even just that, not one of his recruit has really done well on the court. Concern should be with his scouting eye as well.

Sidibe isn't good when healthy?

I'd give him a pass on Sidibe -- I think he can be a stud if healthy.

Other than that, Moyer was less than stellar. Who else is there? Honest question.

This kid can play. Doesn't mean that he's going to be optimally ready to play next year as a frosh, but he has the tools to be a starter during his career at SU, if he chooses to come here. That's the main reason I want him -- I want the pipeline stocked with quality talent.

I don't see him playing much next season if Chukwu / Sidibe are healthy. But given how we've sustained injuries the past few years, I don't think we can take anyone's health for granted -- which is why we're actively pursuing. Hope we get good news on Monday.
Very true. Maybe he is ready and maybe he's not. The key is that he is worth a scholarship spot whether he is a contributor immediately or a couple years down the road.

If you think we are going to have a special season next year if injuries force us to plug OO into the lineup for big minutes, I think you are overvaluing this recruit. I think it gets to the fundamental reason that people are disagreeing with your stance that losing him to St. Bona is a "loss". We are not offering him the same opportunity that they are.

It seems to me that we are offering him a Keita on the upside Greg Davis/Matt Gorman on the downside type of opportunity. I think St. Bona is offering him an opportunity to be a cog in the machine from the early going.

If we were each saying we have a starting center position available next season that we want you to fill, then I would agree that losing him to St. Bona would be a "loss", but just looking at the two programs and their rosters I don't think the roles available at each school are even remotely similar.

I think his opportunity is whatever he makes it.

There are no former LaSalle coaches on the Bonnies staff so how do they have an advantage over us in the time to develop trust catagory?

Opportunity and relationship/trust are the two key factors. If neither has a strong relationship, it’s all about opportunity.

Last edited:
Sidibe isn't good when healthy?

If we say that when he played well when he was healthy and was hurt when he didn’t then yes.

I’m not saying he isn’t good or never will be, but when you have to name a guy who has done as much as Sidibe has as Gmacs prized recruiting get since 2012 then that’s really saying something.

Reminds me of my old sales team, I’d have 4 guys out there with big wins consistently and 1 guy holding onto a mid level account he sold as how great he was.

Opportunity and relationship/trust are the two. If neither has a strong relationship, it’s all about opportunity.

Playing behind a stiff and a guy with bad knees at a position where players get into foul trouble often. There’s plenty of opportunity, unless he isn’t that talented, and if that’s the case, why are we bothering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom