Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this. I don’t think there is a Problem yet. If we strike out next year, that’s when we know there is a problem.

We supposedly struck out last year. Until the kids got here and played and showed a lot of promise.

I think the lack of juniors/seniors (because 3 of them went to the NBA early and probation kept those classes small) will be a bigger problem for our team next year. I’m pretty high on our freshmen/sophomores.

but you are betting with his money. he is the one with skin in the game, not you, and he didn't see it that way.

I already said that it was his decision, and he chose to go to a school where he could be an important building block, rather than compete with 2 other guys for time.

That doesn't mean we aren't short-handed now. If we don't get some viable guy at center to back up the 2 guys returning from injury, we could be a in a world of hurt if somebody gets hurt again.

If we don't get some viable guy at center to back up the 2 guys returning from injury, we could be a in a world of hurt if somebody gets hurt again.

Somebody did get hurt last year and we still made the sweet 16. So I’m not that worried about it. I think we can still be successful, though it obviously wouldn’t be ideal.

Certainly would be nice to have a freshman center with potential in the program to provide depth in case of injury and to have a year of experience in the program the following year when we will need somebody.

More likely, the 3rd string Center is not going to have any impact on the team’s W/L record though.

I already said that it was his decision, and he chose to go to a school where he could be an important building block, rather than compete with 2 other guys for time.

That doesn't mean we aren't short-handed now. If we don't get some viable guy at center to back up the 2 guys returning from injury, we could be a in a world of hurt if somebody gets hurt again.
marek has already demonstrated that he's viable in that role

in terms of playing time, oo would have had a syracuse career track somewhere between chinonso obokoh and billy celuck, imo

Is it possible that what you're seeing on the message board is frustration at missing out on recruiting a third center when many of us believe it should've been a higher priority? Is it possible that many of us which you perceive as being harshly critical do understand that OO was not a perfect fit for SU, but can still be disappointed in the staff for swinging and missing on a center all together? Is it possible that many of us (myself included) can think that the staff messed up, but still also believe they run an amazing program? Is is possible that (to use your line) it is a two way street? Maybe there is some truth to what both sides are saying? Just sayin'. I for one think JB is coming off his best coaching job ever. That doesn't mean I (or others) can't express disappointment in this miss.

Is that what you call "WE SHOULD NEVER LOSE A RECRUIT TO SB" disappointment?

We supposedly struck out last year. Until the kids got here and played and showed a lot of promise.

I think the lack of juniors/seniors (because 3 of them went to the NBA early and probation kept those classes small) will be a bigger problem for our team next year. I’m pretty high on our freshmen/sophomores.

Brissett, Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Washington is a very very good class. Yea we lost Baz to a freak decision, but Baz, Carey, Hughes and Boeheim was a great class.

Besides the sanctions, I believe that the next factor that hurt recruiting most was our joining the ACC . The one distinction we had vs Duke NC etc was we were in a different league. The Big East. Baddest conference period. Some kids wanted to play in the Big East and we were kings.

Brissett, Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Washington is a very very good class. Yea we lost Baz to a freak decision, but Baz, Carey, Hughes and Boeheim was a great class.

Yup, and based on what I’ve gathered it seems like Braswell was a nice prospect to take a shot at, at this point too. I really hope pretty much all those guys (other than Brissett who presumably will leave early for the NBA) are here as juniors and seniors. Will be nice to have a veteran backbone of experienced guys like we usually did in that 2009- 2014 run.

yep; you can't look at the last two classes and honestly say the recruiting is not up to par.
and i suspect that the 2019 class will end up being a very good one, too. few here are even going to remember the name osun osunniyi this time next year.

Yup, and based on what I’ve gathered it seems like Braswell was a nice prospect to take a shot at, at this point too. I really hope pretty much all those guys (other than Brissett who presumably will leave early for the NBA) are here as juniors and seniors. Will be nice to have a veteran backbone of experienced guys like we usually did in that 2009- 2014 run.

The only reason I didn't include braswell is I'm not sure we go after him if we still had baz. but even switching him out for baz, it is a very good class.

I meant the center position overall. I agree with you though. I knew our class last year was better then it’s ranking. We’re going to be extremely young next year but the potential is there for sure. As others have said, next years team could/should be better then last year.

I meant the center position overall. I agree with you though. I knew our class last year was better then it’s ranking. We’re going to be extremely young next year but the potential is there for sure. As others have said, next years team could/should be better then last year.

Yeah, even though we don’t look to be particularly experienced or deep...compared to last years team we are considerably more experienced and deeper. And there’s talent there.

I don’t think anyone feels like we’re loaded, but I also feel much more confident than I did going into last season.

How did the staff mess up? How would you have sold OO to Syracuse?
I will answer this question and Bees question, after my questions get answered. I find it interesting that you've chosen to focus on this small section of my last post, despite it including positives about the staff and JB's coaching. Maybe, I'm not the negative one. In fact I'd venture to bet that I could write a list of 20 things I love about Syracuse hoops/staff and y'all would still quote only the one critical part. Unfortunate, really.

Last edited:
How did the staff mess up? How would you have sold OO to Syracuse?

This. My post a few pages ago asking just how those heavily criticizing would fix the problem got lost after initial reply about using different recruiters than Gerry. If it is so clearly and obvious a problem then maybe those smarter and expecting such higher standards can enlighten on the solution that the staff couldn't figure out.

This. My post a few pages ago asking just how those heavily criticizing would fix the problem got lost after initial reply about using different recruiters than Gerry. If it is so clearly and obvious a problem then maybe those smarter and expecting such higher standards can enlighten on the solution that the staff couldn't figure out.

I've been asking who this former LaSalle coach who was hired by the Bonnies is for a week and still haven't gotten an answer. Frustrating huh?

I've been asking who this former LaSalle coach who was hired by the Bonnies is for a week and still haven't gotten an answer. Frustrating huh?
I'm curious too, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

I will answer this question and Bees question, after my questions get answered. I find it interesting that you've chosen to focus on this small section of my last post, despite it including positives about the staff and JB's coaching. Maybe, I'm not the negative one. In fact I'd venture to bet that I could write a list of 20 things I love about Syracuse hoops/staff and y'all would still quote only the one critical part. Unfortunate, really.

Exactly. Thank you. People love to criticize, but don't have an answer to solve the supposed problem.

Exactly. Thank you. People love to criticize, but don't have an answer to solve the supposed problem.
Throughout this thread I think several people have posted some legitimate suggestions on how to improve recruiting. It's unfortunate that some folks are so sensitive they don't see those parts. They are so honed in on only hearing the criticism they miss the good stuff.

Throughout this thread I think several people have posted some legitimate suggestions on how to improve recruiting.

I asked you how you would have landed Osun, since you said the staff messed up this particular recruitment. We're all waiting for your answer.

I asked you how you would have landed Osun, since you said the staff messed up this particular recruitment. We're all waiting for your answer.

I already answered you. I"m not playing this game.

You haven't given an answer. Thank you for proving my point.
Apparently you missed this:

It's hysterical that y'all say I drag things on and on... yet you're egging me on to drag it on. Can't have it both ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.