Class of 2018 - PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF/C Osun Osunniyi (CT) to St. Bonaventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did gmac really recruit goodine? He really didn’t have to go too hard because he already loved Syracuse and wanted to come here. What was it his uncle or something that was pushing him to play at Syracuse too? So throw that “recruitment” out the window.

Yeah let's throw it out the window. We got in on him because Gerry was recruiting Swider and built a relationship with Goodine as well.

That's how the recruiting board works.
We're on the guy, he's everything you want out of a player.

Other teams start looking or getting the upper hand we justify why he's no good.

We lose him, he sucks.

We get him, he's back being the missing piece.

Find me a post where I said he was a gem. I never said that.

Find me a post where I said he was a gem. I never said that.

Not talking about you at all. You're one of the most rational posters on the site. I normally agree with you 99% of the time and would never call you out, directly or indirectly.

I don't usually post, but some of the crap on this post makes me want to puck ! If he comes he comes. If you don't think this program is solid, then you are just people who like to post this . The you write about Gmac is sickening. You people know nothing. By the way h0w many recruits have you brought into the program? If you really want to back this program,donate money and not your opions.

I don't usually post, but some of the crap on this post makes me want to puck ! If he comes he comes. If you don't think this program is solid, then you are just people who like to post this . The you write about Gmac is sickening. You people know nothing. By the way h0w many recruits have you brought into the program? If you really want to back this program,donate money and not your opions.

Don't know who this is directing, but I'm not paid to recruit for the program, that isn't my job.

Unfortunately an assistant coach for an ACC basketball team is a big deal and there are standards. At what point are his results discussed?

And even without any of that, it's a message board, opinions and discussions are allowed to happen.

Wow. This reads like one of those "million monkeys with typewriters" things... So close, and yet so far.

No way man! SU has so rarely even ATTEMPTED to make use of a low post option. Hop
used to have twitter Q&A sessions, and I asked him about this back when SU had Keita/Grant/Coleman,
and his response was "we need to be better at that." I think I witnessed one, that's O-N-E, pass
to the post from Keita to Dajuan, and it worked. SU did this with Christmas, but they've ignored
feeding guys for so long I wouldn't be surprised if this had a direct correlation with SU not being
able to reasonably recruit/sign any reasonably highly rated post prospect, let alone someone like
Mo Brown, who SU should've at least gotten in the door with.

I wish they'd add this aspect to their offense, if only to take the pressure off the ballhandlers to
have to create something every time down the court. Run a post play with Brissette, anyone,
please.

Kev

When we’ve had big men that could eat what they were being fed without throwing it up, we’ve typically fed them. Warrick, Jackson, Arinze, Christmas and Fab Melo (to a lesser degree) all come to mind.

I don’t think we used DC II in the midddle that well, but injuries slowed him and he never really demonstrated a consistent strong offensive post aptitude either. My recollection is he would get stripped or have his shot blocked almost as frequently as he would get a shot off.

Neither Keita or, Chukwu are the kind of player you would work to feed in the post.

Let’s discuss what “it is” since you seem to have a handle on the inner workings of SU recruiting. I have a few questions for you. Understand though that none of these questions are intended to take away anything from Autry or Griff, who I feel are both very good coaches and recruiters.

1. Why does it “seem” that Gmac is on so many more recruits than the other coaches?
2. Why does it “seem” like many of our high profile recruits, or at least ones discussed more here, are Gmacs recruits?
3. Why do we hear and/or talk about Gmacs recruits that don’t come here so much more than other recruits? Or are Autry and Griff almost 100% in commitments of their recruits?
4. Do you know how many years Gmac has been an on the road recruiter?
5. Once a coach identifies a player, gets JBs concurrence to recruit and offer and gets them on campus to visit, who’s responsible for laying out the teams plans for the recruit and sell them the program and “close”.
JB is stupid is not an answer.

1. Why does it “seem” that Gmac is on so many more recruits than the other coaches?
Because he is involved with a number of kids, never disputed his work ethic. He seems over matched. The lack of AAU connections sticks out.
2. Why does it “seem” like many of our high profile recruits, or at least ones discussed more here, are Gmacs recruits?
After the Quade fiasco all eyes on GMAC to see if he can run with the big dogs or not.
3. Why do we hear and/or talk about Gmacs recruits that don’t come here so much more than other recruits? Or are Autry and Griff almost 100% in commitments of their recruits?
See answer number 2
4.Do you know how many years Gmac has been an on the road recruiter? Couple of years now
5. Once a coach identifies a player, gets JBs concurrence to recruit and offer and gets them on campus to visit, who’s responsible for laying out the team’s plans for the recruit and sell them the program and “close”.-

JB but the ground work has to be put in. Get someone like Jerrance Howard and see how quickly the landscape changes

Last edited:
Hello all. There are several posts in this thread regarding Bona's hiring an assistant coach from La Salle. From where does that information come? We do have an open assistant coaching position, but to my knowledge there has been no announcement about a hiring.

So potentially Cuse last 3 misses could be to.St. Bonnie's, Butler, and Seton Hall. I'm sure I will be bashed by many by this is concerning.

I'm also concerned 19 might not be as good as everyone hopes. Seems like everyone they are in on is leaning other places. If they don't land Whitney, it will be disaster.

Losing Osun isn't a huge deal but losing him to St.Bonny's is pretty bad. U can spin it anyway you want. Syracuse should never lose a recruiting battle to St. Bonaventure.

All the Gmac lovers, feel free to attack me now and spin it it to make yourself feel better.

Now if Osun picks Cuse, I'll be first to eat crow, but doesn't seem to looking to promising.

So potentially Cuse last 3 misses could be to.St. Bonnie's, Butler, and Seton Hall. I'm sure I will be bashed by many by this is concerning.

I'm also concerned 19 might not be as good as everyone hopes. Seems like everyone they are in on is leaning other places. If they don't land Whitney, it will be disaster.

Losing Osun isn't a huge deal but losing him to St.Bonny's is pretty bad. U can spin it anyway you want. Syracuse should never lose a recruiting battle to St. Bonaventure.

All the Gmac lovers, feel free to attack me now and spin it it to make yourself feel better.

Now if Osun picks Cuse, I'll be first to eat crow, but doesn't seem to looking to promising.

Khalif Battle was having a terrible EYBL season this season until the past weekend and isn't as good as his brother. Goodine is the better player. I wish people would stop calling this a miss because it isn't. We preferred others.

No way man! SU has so rarely even ATTEMPTED to make use of a low post option. Hop
used to have twitter Q&A sessions, and I asked him about this back when SU had Keita/Grant/Coleman,
and his response was "we need to be better at that." I think I witnessed one, that's O-N-E, pass
to the post from Keita to Dajuan, and it worked. SU did this with Christmas, but they've ignored
feeding guys for so long I wouldn't be surprised if this had a direct correlation with SU not being
able to reasonably recruit/sign any reasonably highly rated post prospect, let alone someone like
Mo Brown, who SU should've at least gotten in the door with.

I wish they'd add this aspect to their offense, if only to take the pressure off the ballhandlers to
have to create something every time down the court. Run a post play with Brissette, anyone,
please.

Kev

Point of order: A pass from Keita to DaJuan is not a pass from a guard to a center.

Last edited:
This will probably sound harsher than it should - but this statement is borderline crazy. There are many valid reasons why we would lose a recruiting battle with any other school. I could list 20 valid reasons off the top of my head. This is a life changing decision for the kid, and from everything I've seen, he's doing his due diligence. I applaud that.

Khalif Battle was having a terrible EYBL season this season until the past weekend and isn't as good as his brother. Goodine is the better player. I wish people would stop calling this a miss because it isn't. We preferred others.
Was talking about Golden, not Battle.

Personally, I think Boeheims playing only 6 to 7.5 guys has an effect on recruiting depth. While OO would get some minutes especially if Sid's knee continues to plague him and Chewies foul problems I'm not sure he'll see it that way. If it were me, I'd see that Brissett is going to play 40 minutes so that is out. Merek has Boeheims confidence so he'll be close to 35 unless he gets in foul trouble. If you're good enough to start then you are thrilled but the pine, especially during the ACC games, will get harder and harder as the season progresses. This is also part of the reason why there is no depth. Kids see this. Yes, some are confident and say they will be the 35 minute guy which is good but when they are sitting over and over again...things change quickly. This may be a part of OO's thinking and as I wrote, if I were him it would be a big part of the equation in my picking of a school.
Doesn't hurt K

No one heard of Osun until a couple of weeks ago and now it would be a big loss if we don't get him. Too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.