Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

Iverson_Donnie.jpeg

Donnie won't be a savior, but I think he'll probably play 25 minutes a game as part of a 3 or 4 man rotation at forward. How much Choppa Moore plays will depend on his 3 point shooting. He has some similarities in his game to how Judah plays.
You know more about scouting than I do. But I agree DF plays like a 3 - and at least right now. Yes he's filling out. But even if he's 215 or 220, with his length and range he'd be more effective at SF than trying to bang inside.

Last edited:
You know more about scouting than I do. But I agree DF plays like a 3 - and at least right now it's not close. Yes he's filling out. But even if he's 215 or 220 now, with his length and range he'd be more effective at SF than trying to bang inside.
The Donnie Freeman highlight I was most excited about was a dribble penetration and dunk. My first thought was "I didn't realize they would have non Freeman highlights in this, that's a guard!" Only after he came down and started running back up court did I realize it was him. I watched it again and again. He was so smooth off the dribble. I didn't know he could do that. In fact, he probably can't in college. But, if he can develop it to be consistent, he's the best kind of tweener. Too big for SF to guard, and too fast and skilled for PF too guard.

If that one play is a look at his future, it is very exciting.

Luhi over IMG 83-81 in overtime. No surprise VJ Edgecombe and Darius Acuff stole the show. Donnie had a decent game. Picked up two early fouls in the first quarter and sat for a while. Followed it with a big 3rd quarter. Knocked down two triples in the game, stroke looks good from outside. Nearly had a poster in transition but missed the dunk. He struggled a bit on the glass vs 6-11 Alier Maluk who had some size on him. Nigel James and Kiyan were both really unimpressive. Kiyan barely played and didn't get any run down the strech. Refs were absolutely horrendous all night. Missed a basket interference in OT which gave Luhi 2 points and also gave them two timeouts while the ball was loose.

Red will continue to get the players. Everyone just needs a touch of patience
Patience only goes so far after the last 8 years.

I get what you're saying, however the proof is in the pudding.

Freeman & Moore is a good start.

Luhi over IMG 83-81 in overtime. No surprise VJ Edgecombe and Darius Acuff stole the show. Donnie had a decent game. Picked up two early fouls in the first quarter and sat for a while. Followed it with a big 3rd quarter. Knocked down two triples in the game, stroke looks good from outside. Nearly had a poster in transition but missed the dunk. He struggled a bit on the glass vs 6-11 Alier Maluk who had some size on him. Nigel James and Kiyan were both really unimpressive. Kiyan barely played and didn't get any run down the strech. Refs were absolutely horrendous all night. Missed a basket interference in OT which gave Luhi 2 points and also gave them two timeouts while the ball was loose.
Kiyan had a better game Saturday. He comes off the bench because he's behind the number 4 player in next years class in VJ edgecombe. He's still 4th in scoring on that team shooting 40% from 3.

Kiyan had a better game Saturday. He comes off the bench because he's behind the number 4 player in next years class in VJ edgecombe. He's still 4th in scoring on that team shooting 40% from 3.
I'm well aware, I referenced Edgecombe in my post. Kiyan played poorly in only 12 minutes of action in an overtime game against IMG. Veritas, who they played Saturday, is one of the bottom tear teams in the league and have been blown out against all the contenders.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I no longer have access to the private stat databases to provide more value to you guys in terms of high school stats, but fortunately, Elijah, Donnie, and Kiyan all play in leagues that official stat tracking so I can still sum it up for you.

In EYBL Scholastic, Donnie Freeman is averaging:
  • 28.3 minutes
  • 14.8 points
  • 2.1 assists
  • 7.4 rebounds
  • 1.2 steals
  • 0.8 blocks
  • 63/28/74 shooting splits (2PT/3PT/FT) for a pretty good TS% of 58.5%.
  • On the year, he's attempted 36 3 pointers compared to 64 2 pointers and 31 free throws. His 3 point attempt rate of 36.0% is close to guys like JJ Starling and Benny Williams this year. Would definitely like to see him improve his shooting if he's going to shoot 3's that much. His free throw rate of 31% is alright, a little higher than Maliq Brown this season.
  • Per 40 minutes, his points/assists/rebounds/steals/blocks jumps up to 20.9/3.0/10.5/1.7/1.1. Really nice numbers.
  • Among the 87 players with at least 100 minutes in EYBL Scholastic this season, Donnie is 13th in rebounds per 40 minutes, 22nd in points per 40, and 24th in blocks per 40. His assists and steals are both in the top half of the league as well.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the private stat databases to provide more value to you guys in terms of high school stats, but fortunately, Elijah, Donnie, and Kiyan all play in leagues that official stat tracking so I can still sum it up for you.

In EYBL Scholastic, Donnie Freeman is averaging:
  • 28.3 minutes
  • 14.8 points
  • 2.1 assists
  • 7.4 rebounds
  • 1.2 steals
  • 0.8 blocks
  • 63/28/74 shooting splits (2PT/3PT/FT) for a pretty good TS% of 58.5%.
  • On the year, he's attempted 36 3 pointers compared to 64 2 pointers and 31 free throws. His 3 point attempt rate of 36.0% is close to guys like JJ Starling and Benny Williams this year. Would definitely like to see him improve his shooting if he's going to shoot 3's that much. His free throw rate of 31% is alright, a little higher than Maliq Brown this season.
  • Per 40 minutes, his points/assists/rebounds/steals/blocks jumps up to 20.9/3.0/10.5/1.7/1.1. Really nice numbers.
  • Among the 87 players with at least 100 minutes in EYBL Scholastic this season, Donnie is 13th in rebounds per 40 minutes, 22nd in points per 40, and 24th in blocks per 40. His assists and steals are both in the top half of the league as well.
What site are you using? Those stats don’t match to what is on thecircuit.com.

Yeah I'm not really sure what to make of The Circuit's stats. Even on that page, they have Donnie listed as playing in 13 games in one table, 16 games in the next, 15 games in the 3rd, and 14 games in the Misc. table lol. And I don't think any of the numbers in the scoring table match the numbers you get if you just look at their scoring leaders for the EYBL here: https://www.thecircuithoops.com/sta...b=division_instance_player_stats&tool=5411586

I'm going to stick with EYBL's official stats since I have no idea what is and isn't being included in The Circuit's numbers.

63/28/74 shooting splits (2PT/3PT/FT)
RUT ROH!

Let's hope we either don't need him to be a 3pt threat next season or he improves his shooting over the offseason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom