Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

My point is that his future is as a 3. That's why he's a McDonald's AA - he has advanced skills for such a tall guy at such a young age.
Completely disagree with him projecting as a three. If you look at the landscape of todays NBA, Donnie fits the mold perfectly as a four man. Almost every team opts to go smaller and space the floor as much as possible.

Donnie does play primarily the 5 at IMG, but it isn't necessarily because they "don't have a true center". Oliver Rioux is 7'7"which classifies him as a center (just doesn't play much).
Kid has played 6 minutes all year in league play. He's not ready to play at that level. IMG doesn't have a true center that actually contributes.

Kid has played 6 minutes all year in league play. He's not ready to play at that level. IMG doesn't have a true center that actually contributes.
Yeah, Rioux is an interesting developmental player, but he is a long way from being able to contribute.

Why do you compare him with Benny ? He’s clearly a much better player than Benny is right now. Because Benny has been a disappointment doesn’t mean this kid will be. He has the athleticism and skill set to a be very good player. I think he will be very good right away and will be a one and done
I don't know. His high school team had a losing record as of a couple of weeks ago. That doesn't sound like they have a one and done on their team. I think he will be a very good player for us next year. One and done, I'm not so sure.

Completely disagree with him projecting as a three. If you look at the landscape of todays NBA, Donnie fits the mold perfectly as a four man. Almost every team opts to go smaller and space the floor as much as possible.

OK, here is a picture of Donnie from a year ago before he transferred to IMG. Look at his freaking calves, ok?

maxresdefault.jpg

Let's compare Kevin Durant. This picture of Kevin Durant shows him wearing protective padding on his legs. And look how damn skinny his calves are:

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.54.47 PM.png

Donnie is not any more of a 4 than Kevin Durant is. Yes, of course he's the tallest guy on his HS team, so they play him at center. He's not a center in college, and he's a small forward in the NBA. He will never be strong enough in his lower body to be an NBA 4 or 5.

Do any of you watch what players look like physically in the NBA? Devin Booker is a 6-7, 225 or so shooting guard. Very physical, talented player. Or think of Jayson Tatum of the Celtics, another 6-7 swingman who is a stud athlete. Booker outweighs Freeman by 30-40 pounds.

Freeman is a HS 5, College 4 evolving into a 3 (like Billy Owens did), and an NBA 3. That's his player development arc.

OK, here is a picture of Donnie from a year ago before he transferred to IMG. Look at his freaking calves, ok?

View attachment 237252

Let's compare Kevin Durant. This picture of Kevin Durant shows him wearing protective padding on his legs. And look how damn skinny his calves are:

View attachment 237254

Donnie is not any more of a 4 than Kevin Durant is. Yes, of course he's the tallest guy on his HS team, so they play him at center. He's not a center in college, and he's a small forward in the NBA. He will never be strong enough in his lower body to be an NBA 4 or 5.

Do any of you watch what players look like physically in the NBA? Devin Booker is a 6-7, 225 or so shooting guard. Very physical, talented player. Or think of Jayson Tatum of the Celtics, another 6-7 swingman who is a stud athlete. Booker outweighs Freeman by 30-40 pounds.

Freeman is a HS 5, College 4 evolving into a 3 (like Billy Owens did), and an NBA 3. That's his player development arc.
You’re comparing a 17 year old to 25-28 year olds. I hope the 25-28 year old is bigger.

Freeman is going to be bigger than both those guys. He’s 6’9” and he’s playing the 4 here. That’s the plan.

Last edited:
I don't know. His high school team had a losing record as of a couple of weeks ago. That doesn't sound like they have a one and done on their team. I think he will be a very good player for us next year. One and done, I'm not so sure.
The EYBL scholastic league is ridiculous. Monteverde starts 5 guys that are going to Power 6 schools. Freeman has one other high major player on his team and they are 3-4 In the league only. He’s still putting up great numbers in that league, but he and Acuff have little help. If he’s a top 20-25 HS player I put the chances of him being here more than a year at 25% at best.

View attachment 237252

View attachment 237254

First off your comparing a junior in high school to NBA veterans. Next I would challenge you to actually watch an NBA game because you clearly do not. Let me know what you see from the PF position. You will not see two big men on the floor together. You don't need to be physically dominant to play the position in todays NBA. Donnie is 6-9, if you were to throw him out there with a guy who's 6-10 and a 7 footer they would get eaten alive by the guard play. Also just want to put it out there that you are absolutely out of your mind if you think that Devin Booker is 6-7.

First off your comparing a junior in high school to NBA veterans. Next I would challenge you to actually watch an NBA game because you clearly do not. Let me know what you see from the PF position. You will not see two big men on the floor together. You don't need to be physically dominant to play the position in todays NBA. Donnie is 6-9, if you were to throw him out there with a guy who's 6-10 and a 7 footer they would get eaten alive by the guard play. Also just want to put it out there that you are absolutely out of your mind if you think that Devin Booker is 6-7.
Booker is 6-6 at most. He also isn’t anywhere near 225lbs. Every reference has him around 205.

View attachment 237252

View attachment 237254

I know people are going to come after you for the comparison regarding the legs, but it is valid. Donnie is definitely getting more strength and adding weight, moreso than Durant has, at least in the shoulders. But, he is likely to have thin legs for the duration of his career. But, especially in college, he can easily play the 4. NBA, he may be a 3 depending on his shooting stroke. We'll see what weight he comes in at. He went to the perfect school to develop his body. I am hoping he can come in at 220, he can compete at the 4 in college at that weight. Hopefully our strength program has improved and he can add weight while here, whether it is a year, 2 or 3.

You’re comparing a 17 year old to 25-28 year olds. I hope the 25-28 year old is bigger.

Freeman is going to be bigger than both those guys. He’s 6’9” and he’s playing the 4 here. That’s the plan.

Sorry, but I have never heard of a McDonald's AA in the last 20 years who expected to spend 4 years in college. I think he will be a very solid rotation forward next year - probably top 3 in minutes among the forwards. I think in year 2, his desire would be to be our starting SF, showing he can hit 3s and getting to the league.

I know people are going to come after you for the comparison regarding the legs, but it is valid. Donnie is definitely getting more strength and adding weight, moreso than Durant has, at least in the shoulders. But, he is likely to have thin legs for the duration of his career. But, especially in college, he can easily play the 4. NBA, he may be a 3 depending on his shooting stroke. We'll see what weight he comes in at. He went to the perfect school to develop his body. I am hoping he can come in at 220, he can compete at the 4 in college at that weight. Hopefully our strength program has improved and he can add weight while here, whether it is a year, 2 or 3.

Donnie only weighs 190 right now. Kevin Durant, as a 35 year old professional, with 15 years of NBA weight and fitness training, still only weighs 240. Donnie is not going to add 30 pounds in 1 year, or he's going to lose his speed and endurance. It's too much, too soon.

Billy Owens weighed 220. Carmelo was 190 in HS, but was 210 by the time he got on campus. We have to see how Donnie works on his body, but it's asking a lot for him to change it so much in so little time.

Donnie only weighs 190 right now. Kevin Durant, as a 35 year old professional, with 15 years of NBA weight and fitness training, still only weighs 240. Donnie is not going to add 30 pounds in 1 year, or he's going to lose his speed and endurance. It's too much, too soon.

Billy Owens weighed 220. Carmelo was 190 in HS, but was 210 by the time he got on campus. We have to see how Donnie works on his body, but it's asking a lot for him to change it so much in so little time.
Donnie is up to 205 now. The 190 was prior to him arriving at IMG. He’s noticeably bigger in his upper body since the summer but his legs are still pretty skinny. Don’t think he’s ever gonna have a huge lower body but he should be fine at the college level if he gets to 215-220 by next year.

If you believe Durant weighs 240lbs, I have a bridge to sell you. I know that some sites list him at 240 but I’m not believing it. No way he weighs the same as Giannis and is only 10lbs less than LeBron.

Sorry, but I have never heard of a McDonald's AA in the last 20 years who expected to spend 4 years in college. I think he will be a very solid rotation forward next year - probably top 3 in minutes among the forwards. I think in year 2, his desire would be to be our starting SF, showing he can hit 3s and getting to the league.
He is better than every forward we have on the roster.

If you believe Durant weighs 240lbs, I have a bridge to sell you. I know that some sites list him at 240 but I’m not believing it. No way he weighs the same as Giannis and is only 10lbs less than LeBron.

I agree, he looks more like 220, but guys of a certain age tend to add weight. Durant is 35 years old. LeBron probably weighs 240 by now, if not more.

The 4 as in power forward, not 4 years.

Im really excited about Donnie and Moore for that matter, but we need to temper expectations that these guys are gonna be saviors or Donnie being a 1 and done. We remember the Benny hype and can also look to USC this year that was thought to be a dark horse contender with adding Bronny and Isiah Collier who is #1 overall pick talent (aware that he is hurt right now). USC is 8-13 and 2-8 in conference.

There's no guarantees until we see them on the Dome floor and how all the parts fit. I attended Melo's first exhibition when he had 37, that told me they had something special with him but we really don't know until we see them in uniform in a game situation.

Im really excited about Donnie and Moore for that matter, but we need to temper expectations that these guys are gonna be saviors or Donnie being a 1 and done. We remember the Benny hype and can also look to USC this year that was thought to be a dark horse contender with adding Bronny and Isiah Collier who is #1 overall pick talent (aware that he is hurt right now). USC is 8-13 and 2-8 in conference.

There's no guarantees until we see them on the Dome floor and how all the parts fit. I attended Melo's first exhibition when he had 37, that told me they had something special with him but we really don't know until we see them in uniform in a game situation.

Donnie won't be a savior, but I think he'll probably play 25 minutes a game as part of a 3 or 4 man rotation at forward. How much Choppa Moore plays will depend on his 3 point shooting. He has some similarities in his game to how Judah plays.

If Judah is st
Donnie won't be a savior, but I think he'll probably play 25 minutes a game as part of a 3 or 4 man rotation at forward. How much Choppa Moore plays will depend on his 3 point shooting. He has some similarities in his game to how Judah plays.

Donnie won't be a savior, but I think he'll probably play 25 minutes a game as part of a 3 or 4 man rotation at forward. How much Choppa Moore plays will depend on his 3 point shooting. He has some similarities in his game to how Judah plays

I don’t see much of a similarity at all. Sure, Moore attacks the basket, but he‘s also a great three point shooter and has a great mid range jumper off the bounce. We currently have no one, except maybe a little JJ that can do that.

I don’t see much of a similarity at all. Sure, Moore attacks the basket, but he‘s also a great three point shooter and has a great mid range jumper off the bounce. We currently have no one, except maybe a little JJ that can do that.

Do you notice how they use a back-and-forth swaying kind of move to get the defender off balance before they drive? That aspect is very similar, if you ask me.

Chopper has shot better than Judah against a lower level of competition. There is usually a bit of a drop off as players move up a level and play against bigger, older defenders.

Do you notice how they use a back-and-forth swaying kind of move to get the defender off balance before they drive? That aspect is very similar, if you ask me.

Chopper has shot better than Judah against a lower level of competition. There is usually a bit of a drop off as players move up a level and play against bigger, older defenders.
Moore has great form on his shot. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our best shooter next year, even as a freshman. Of course, that is dependent upon his form not changing. Somehow, we seem to have a way of screwing up player's shooting form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom