Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

I’m going to laugh so hard remembering what went on here once Chris is an NBA player. He was the one guy on the team that opposing coaching staffs said never leave open.
If he continues to defend like he does, you can keep on laughing.

Someone named Malachi Flynn just scored 50 for the Pistons last night. Being able to score in the NBA is a must, not a feature. No doubt Chris can shoot. Everyone in the NBA can...he needs to add in the ability to defend and rebound or it's not happening.

...and if he does, I have no doubt he'll be an all ACC player. Unfortunately, progress was minimal last year. But there was progress

If he continues to defend like he does, you can keep on laughing.

Someone named Malachi Flynn just scored 50 for the Pistons last night. Being able to score in the NBA is a must, not a feature. No doubt Chris can shoot. Everyone in the NBA can...he needs to add in the ability to defend and rebound or it's not happening.

...and if he does, I have no doubt he'll be an all ACC player. Unfortunately, progress was minimal last year. But there was progress

If Westry is healthy and can hit his open outside shots in the mid 30s then Bell better be improved on the boards and defense because Westry can do it all as a big guard plus is a playmaker. To me as long as we fill out the open positions as we need to- a healthy Westry changes the whole dynamic of the team next year. But because it’s such an unknown it’s hard to get too amped about the what ifs

If Westry is healthy and can hit his open outside shots in the mid 30s then Bell better be improved on the boards and defense because Westry can do it all as a big guard plus is a playmaker. To me as long as we fill out the open positions as we need to- a healthy Westry changes the whole dynamic of the team next year. But because it’s such an unknown it’s hard to get too amped about the what ifs
Westry being healthy and returning to his preinjury form opens up so much for next year's team on both offense and defense. Just one scenario off the top of my head but you could have him play the 1 on offense and the 3 on defense which gives the possibility of playing both Moore and Starling together for the added scoring punch. Like you said, hard to get too excited without evidence, but man if Westry can be what we hoped it changes the trajectory of next years team a ton.

I love the potential of Westry but him being healthy would be against the norm for his career let alone him not being rusty. He was often injured in highschool and has basically not played ball the last two years. I would be severely disappointed if the staff was planning to count on him for any important role. I view him more like a lottery ticket, long odds, but if it comes through it could really put us over the top.

Westry being healthy and returning to his preinjury form opens up so much for next year's team on both offense and defense. Just one scenario off the top of my head but you could have him play the 1 on offense and the 3 on defense which gives the possibility of playing both Moore and Starling together for the added scoring punch. Like you said, hard to get too excited without evidence, but man if Westry can be what we hoped it changes the trajectory of next years team a ton.
With the uncertainty of his health, we should be able to draw a really good player from the portal, as well. If he were healthy, I would suspect that he would scare off many players.

Potential rotation:

Lampkin 20 McLeod 20
Freeman 30 Bell 10
Bell 20 Westry 20
Starling 30 Moore 10
Transfer 25 Moore 5 Cuffe 10

Seems a little small with Bell being curved to play some big forward next to Westry, when Freeman's resting.

If we have any foul trouble or injuries, yikes.

Painful, because Brown looks great taking 5-10 minutes at center, 15-20 at power forward next to Lampkin/McLeod.

Our most common lineup right now:

Lampkin, Freeman, Bell, Starling, Mintz/Portal

6'11, 6'9, 6'6, 6'3, (?)

But let's do it with 3pt shooting? Bell Freeman and Starling are all pretty good 3pt shooters. The transfer just needs to be able to hit when open, get to the basket, and find the open man ina way that he can shoot it.

I love the potential of Westry but him being healthy would be against the norm for his career let alone him not being rusty. He was often injured in highschool and has basically not played ball the last two years. I would be severely disappointed if the staff was planning to count on him for any important role. I view him more like a lottery ticket, long odds, but if it comes through it could really put us over the top.

That’s why the hypothetical and unknown. You won’t find an equivalent in the portal plus a really good pg so he becomes an enigma but def a lotto ticket if he is healthy

It's just a theory, but Westry was healthy and practicing the last few weeks of the season.

I have come to believe that Westry being the better player is one of the reasons Copeland went adios.

Watching Freeman now, he looks like he can play 3 or 4. Surprised how well he handles and shoots.

I keep coming back to this.

Watching tape of him in HS, the recent vintage croot his moves and shooting most remind me of is...

Mali Richardson.

He's more skilled and fluid than Jerami at this stage.
Ditto for CMac.

A lotta the stuff he does, look like SF/SG-type moves and shots.

I keep coming back to this.

Watching tape of him in HS, the recent vintage croot his moves and shooting most remind me of is...

Mali Richardson.

He's more skilled and fluid than Jerami at this stage.
Ditto for CMac.

A lotta the stuff he does, look like SF/SG-type moves and shots.
Freeman has a post game, too. He might be able to score consistently in the post against certain power forward matchups... I suspect he's too slight to really terrorize ACC big men right now.

But, if he gets switched onto a guard and gets a post up, it's very likely a basket.

Once again, Freeman with a super impressive game. Had him for 21 points on 8-11 FG 3-4 3PT 2-2 FT and 7 reb in a loss. Looked a bit rough on the defensive end but the versatility he showed on offense was what stood out. If the shooting he showed over the past week is not just a hot stretch and is instead further development, then the ceiling just got that much higher. Get 10-15 more pounds on him this summer and the sky is the limit here.

Couple of the more impressive moves. Even in college at his height, these aren’t going to be easily defended.
im getting tatum at duke vibes, we gonna ride him all year hes our alpha. havent had a forward with his offensive moves since cj

Preface: not saying he's a surefire freshman phenom that can carry a team.

From the recent buzz around him (now some folks talking lotto 2025), his seemingly growing skillset and confidence- there's simply no way he can't be the starting 4 from day one. Despite what some have offered up. And Maliq knows this. And Maliq does not want to play center a bunch again. And hence Maliq left. It's just the fortunate/unfortunate reality of our existing roster makeup and what Donnie brings.

I was firmly on team "Donnie isn't a 3", but with the recent press and shooting display, maybe he can play minutes at the 3 if Bell's not playing well, which means we better have someone who can play the 4 for a different lineup.

He is an outstanding shooter and yet still a fringe starter
I don’t think he is fringe at all. I think Red could have jettisoned him and kept Brown. He chose Bell.

I love that he's developing his outside shot but I'd like to see more activity around the rim. Again I'm going by a few highlights but I don't want him taking tough turnaround jumpers next year, I want him attacking and mixing it up in the paint a bit more.
I get what youre saying and agree to an extent but if he has to be guarded out on the perimeter then it opens up even more for the offense. I've seen probably 20-30 full games of Donnie at this point since last summer and its been a pretty big evolution in his game over the past year. Over the summer he did a lot of what youre asking and proved he can be an inside presence. Now his game is expanding and given the fact that he's around 6'10" I think hes realizing that at his size its very difficult to defend his perimeter game so he's starting to defer to that more. As long as he is willing to go back to that inside game when the shots aren't falling from the outside then I dont mind his game becoming more perimeter oriented.

I love that he's developing his outside shot but I'd like to see more activity around the rim. Again I'm going by a few highlights but I don't want him taking tough turnaround jumpers next year, I want him attacking and mixing it up in the paint a bit more.
I like when he gets his man in his back, backs him closer to the basket and then shoots over him on the turnaround.

I didn't like when he dribbled into trouble, then threw up a bad turnaround 18 footer that happened to go in.

But sometimes you accept the little bit of the bad to get all that great offense.

Freeman is really good in the post, I hope he plays inside out a bit, instead of just firing up threes. But it's looking like he'll make threes at a pretty good rate.

Overall, he's a very good offensive player that will be on the court a lot next year.

I hope he's practicing cutting to the basket so he can get lots of dunks off Lampkin bounce passes.

Freeman also should be deadly in the pick and pop. No college guard is going to affect his shot off the switch.

Man, having a center who can play good offense is going to be a treat.

Our starting frontcourt of Lampkin, Freeman, and Bell might average 40+ next year.

I get what youre saying and agree to an extent but if he has to be guarded out on the perimeter then it opens up even more for the offense. I've seen probably 20-30 full games of Donnie at this point since last summer and its been a pretty big evolution in his game over the past year. Over the summer he did a lot of what youre asking and proved he can be an inside presence. Now his game is expanding and given the fact that he's around 6'10" I think hes realizing that at his size its very difficult to defend his perimeter game so he's starting to defer to that more. As long as he is willing to go back to that inside game when the shots aren't falling from the outside then I dont mind his game becoming more perimeter oriented.
Good to hear. In these highlights he’s taking (and making) a lot of tough shots. Hopefully next year Red can coach him to find that balance you mention.

In his tape over the past couple years there is a lot more in the paint than the perimeter to be fair so it’s all there. He’s got a deep toolbag already which will make him extremely difficult to guard. Any PG looking at us should light up with what they will have to work with on the floor to help make their lives easier and successful.

I like when he gets his man in his back, backs him closer to the basket and then shoots over him on the turnaround.

I didn't like when he dribbled into trouble, then threw up a bad turnaround 18 footer that happened to go in.

But sometimes you accept the little bit of the bad to get all that great offense.

Freeman is really good in the post, I hope he plays inside out a bit, instead of just firing up threes. But it's looking like he'll make threes at a pretty good rate.

Overall, he's a very good offensive player that will be on the court a lot next year.

I hope he's practicing cutting to the basket so he can get lots of dunks off Lampkin bounce passes.

Freeman also should be deadly in the pick and pop. No college guard is going to affect his shot off the switch.

Man, having a center who can play good offense is going to be a treat.

Our starting frontcourt of Lampkin, Freeman, and Bell might average 40+ next year.

Let’s get a summer trip planned so these guys can really start to gel too

He did have a game against La Lumiere about a month ago where he had 35 points and 16 rebounds and roughly 30 of those points were in the paint. La Lumiere's center was out for that game so Donnie was the biggest player on the floor and he absolutely dominated inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom