Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

It's relevant for roster construction. Unfortunately Maliq's gone, but it was a big question as to whether he could play with Maliq and a center at the same time, or if he needs to be paired with Bell or another SF.
That wasn't a Freeman question, that was a Maliq question.

If Freeman brings a versatile skill set to the roster, on top of being a fluid big, what is the difference, especially in a motion offense, between being called a 3 or 4? What is it specifically that "we need him to be as a 4" that he couldn't provide if we call him a 3?

The debate over whether Freeman is a 3 or 4 is largely irrelevant, IMO. The Joe Fan analysis needs a paradigm shift away from traditional labels and instead emphasize what skill sets can Freeman bring as a player at 6-10.

I guess my thought was that this specific discussion about Donnie playing the 3 started when Maliq was still on the roster. If we played Lampkin or McCleod, and both Maliq and Donnie, it would put pressure on one of the forwards to provide some level of shooting and ball handling to go along with the two guards.

I am not saying Donnie is some stiff that cannot provide any shooting or ball handling, but people were having this discussion in the context of Maliq and Donnie being the starting forwards and I felt it was a negative to put pressure on one of the them (especially a freshman) to provide the shooting that taking Bell out of the starting lineup would require.

TLDR - We need another proven shooter on the floor, no matter what position it comes from

I agree completely. We need him to be a 4 as we do not have another on the current roster. Any of those skills are a bonus.

This is what's so disappointing about Maliq leaving - between the new C from Colorado State, Freeman, MacLeod and Maliq, you have the 4 and 5 well covered. If Freeman plays 5-10 minutes as the 3, spelling Chris, then there are plenty of minutes to go around. Now, we are still a body short.

This is what's so disappointing about Maliq leaving - between the new C from Colorado State, Freeman, MacLeod and Maliq, you have the 4 and 5 well covered. If Freeman plays 5-10 minutes as the 3, spelling Chris, then there are plenty of minutes to go around. Now, we are still a body short.

Assuming we add Davis from Delaware that shores things up a lot though

Assuming we add Davis from Delaware that shores things up a lot though

Davis is a little smaller than Maliq Brown, but might be tougher.

Not too shabby.
I'd be hesitant/skeptical if we were counting on him as our featured scorer. But realistically he'll be option 4 most of the time. Little to no pressure on him as he adjusts to the college game. As long as he rebounds and plays sufficient D, I think he'll thrive.

20240422_005220.jpg

Does anybody have any information about how Freeman played in the game?

Does anybody have any information about how Freeman played in the game?
I watched it, he didnt look great overall in this one. Seemed to struggle with the physicality of others and his shot was off. I had him for 3 points on 1/5 shooting and 1/2 from the line. Hes performed well against the same competition over the past month so its not something I would read too much into. Just an off night.

I feel like it would be very helpful for the beginning of the Red Autry era if he gets Donnie into the NBA after only one year. He would show blue chip recruits they can be one-and-done here, and also we wouldn't have to worry about him getting a huge NIL offer and transferring for his sophomore year before going to the NBA. We need more Orange in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom