Class of 2024 - PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23) | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 PF Donnie Freeman (MD / IMG) COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (5/11/23)

His passing is most impressive. Full court pinpoint passing in traffic.

We already have several impressive passers here, (Judah, Quadir, Maliq). I'm all in favor of adding another one. But let's run an offense where we get to take full advantage of that!

No one is obsessed more with height than Syracuse fans. NBA teams aren’t playing Freeman at the 3 and he’s not playing it here.
Given there's open interest in a 5, I'm quite curious how things play out with Maliq. Hard to sell a portal guy on a bench role, but Maliq isn't going to come off the bench either. Does he stay at the 5?

Given there's open interest in a 5, I'm quite curious how things play out with Maliq. Hard to sell a portal guy on a bench role, but Maliq isn't going to come off the bench either. Does he stay at the 5?
My guess is Freeman/Brown start and the center comes off the bench. We have to find someone who’s ok with playing 15-20 MPG.

My guess is Freeman/Brown start and the center comes off the bench. We have to find someone who’s ok with playing 15-20 MPG.

I think we'll be fine with McLeod, Carey and Patterson in that role if they stay healthy.

just can't help but wonder if Brown is on board with continued time at the 5, and if Donnie is on board with any time at the 5...

Freeman can handle.
That may be but bell is not a 2G and will never be. His handle and court vision are not very good. Also imagine him trying to man up the opposing 2G? He’s a small forward and if he stays it forces you to play Brown at center since freeman is starting

That may be but bell is not a 2G and will never be. His handle and court vision are not very good. Also imagine him trying to man up the opposing 2G? He’s a small forward and if he stays it forces you to play Brown at center since freeman is starting
If Westry is healthy, you start Westry, JJ, Copeland, Freeman, and Brown.
Let opponents try to match up with them.
You use your bench and press teams, forcing the slow fast guys to the bench.
Red wants up tempo and if you play 9 or 10 and use the press, you can force opponents to not play the bruisers in the game.

If Westry is healthy, you start Westry, JJ, Copeland, Freeman, and Brown.
Let opponents try to match up with them.
You use your bench and press teams, forcing the slow fast guys to the bench.
Red wants up tempo and if you play 9 or 10 and use the press, you can force opponents to not play the bruisers in the game.
No outside shooting?

No outside shooting?
The theory would be that you at least have to guard all of those guys, even if nobody is a stud shooter.

The second theory is that you're playing full court pressure and these guys excel in unsettled situations.

If they aren't getting it done, you rotate Cuffe, Moore and Bell back in and suddenly we're a three point team.

I was excited for this kind of dynamic matchup team this year. Unfortunately, the injuries, underperformance and bad behavior narrowed the rotation down to nothing by the end of the year.

He can’t shoot enough to play the 3. JJ is playing the 2 next year guaranteed.

No one is obsessed more with height than Syracuse fans. NBA teams aren’t playing Freeman at the 3 and he’s not playing it here.

I think this post is not going to age well, especially the NBA part.
The reason he is a McDonald's AA is BECAUSE he has outstanding ball and shooting skills for a big man.

Typically I'd prefer a transfer, but maybe you could land this Rooths kid and manage to keep Bell (seems more likely Bell would leave if we get a top SF from the portal as compared to HS recruit; also HS recruit might be ok without guaranteed starting spot). Don't know anything about this kid though so no idea if he's a good avenue.

Yeah. just feel like something's gotta give with Maliq, Donnie, and the 4 position

They have to get a starting caliber center. Maliq and Donnie can co-exist with a center in a front court. Especially if it's a stretch guy - a beefy 6-8 or 6-9, 240 pound guy who can defend down low, but step out and make a three. You get that, and that's a lethal front court. If you add a wing shooter or if Bell would be willing to rotate, that's a great front court.

That's interesting. But, where's the fit with us? I'm hoping/assuming/PRAYING Maliq will not be a 5 again, and if he's the 4, and Donnie is the 3, then where might Mr. Rooths play? I don't think you decommit for a backup role.

That's interesting. But, where's the fit with us? I'm hoping/assuming/PRAYING Maliq will not be a 5 again, and if he's the 4, and Donnie is the 3, then where might Mr. Rooths play? I don't think you decommit for a backup role.
Top 30 players should always be a fit for struggling programs (behavior issues, if any, aside).

Replacement for Bell, if he leaves.

As an incoming freshman, you don't have to promise a starting spot maybe he would be fine coming off the bench for this team for at least the first year unlike maybe a veteran portal player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom