Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Rice, you are correct that Sherman was the reason but King Rice really still wanted to come to SU. It was JB who told him that with Sherman he wouldn't play significant minutes and that UNC was a better fit. Sherman was close to transferring thinking he deserved more minutes his freshman year when Pearl was still here. (Sherman played 11 minutes a game his frosh year) JB knew that Rice would expect a fair chance to start, and Sherman wouldn't be happy and probably leave thinking he was being recruited over by a high profile, Parade and McDonalds AA, local recruit. JB knew who and what he had with Sherman. Sherman loved playing big minutes - 33 as a soph, 34 as a junior and almost 36 as a senior. JB was smart enough to know that King wouldn't fit in nor start till his senior year - Rice started 81 games for UNC in his career (Sherman started the remaining 110 games for SU), something JB knew was impossible at SU. I know people who later ate their words because they were very upset with JB that Rice didn't come to SU, helping UNC- knowing that JB hadn't taken him.

we can be done right now & be more than fine. we have a great class, just looking for some icing. would not be surprised if plan is to keep the door open for akok, isaiah or qudus but shift focus to 2020 symir, andre & big cliff
You think so? If we don’t sign one of those guys or Carrigan, who’s our backup center next season?

You think so? If we don’t sign one of those guys or Carrigan, who’s our backup center next season?

A3541219-AA1D-47F4-834A-B80A257F6A43.jpeg

Regarding Rice, you are correct that Sherman was the reason but King Rice really still wanted to come to SU. It was JB who told him that with Sherman he wouldn't play significant minutes and that UNC was a better fit. Sherman was close to transferring thinking he deserved more minutes his freshman year when Pearl was still here. (Sherman played 11 minutes a game his frosh year) JB knew that Rice would expect a fair chance to start, and Sherman wouldn't be happy and probably leave thinking he was being recruited over by a high profile, Parade and McDonalds AA, local recruit. JB knew who and what he had with Sherman. Sherman loved playing big minutes - 33 as a soph, 34 as a junior and almost 36 as a senior. JB was smart enough to know that King wouldn't fit in nor start till his senior year - Rice started 81 games for UNC in his career, something JB knew was impossible at SU. I know people who later ate their words because they were very upset with JB that Rice didn't come to SU, helping UNC- knowing that JB hadn't taken him.
Thanks for sharing. I never heard that story about Sherman and the King Rice recruitment.

Regarding Rice, you are correct that Sherman was the reason but King Rice really still wanted to come to SU. It was JB who told him that with Sherman he wouldn't play significant minutes and that UNC was a better fit. Sherman was close to transferring thinking he deserved more minutes his freshman year when Pearl was still here. (Sherman played 11 minutes a game his frosh year) JB knew that Rice would expect a fair chance to start, and Sherman wouldn't be happy and probably leave thinking he was being recruited over by a high profile, Parade and McDonalds AA, local recruit. JB knew who and what he had with Sherman. Sherman loved playing big minutes - 33 as a soph, 34 as a junior and almost 36 as a senior. JB was smart enough to know that King wouldn't fit in nor start till his senior year - Rice started 81 games for UNC in his career, something JB knew was impossible at SU. I know people who later ate their words because they were very upset with JB that Rice didn't come to SU, helping UNC- knowing that JB hadn't taken him.

Thanks for that very interesting anecdotal history. I was following the Rice recruitment at the time but didn't know those details. And, our football Coach was dying to get Rice to come and play DB. Promised him he had a better shot at the NFL than the NBA, as I recall.

jba and/or marek
I thought JBA is more of a developmental big who won’t be a contributor until his sophomore or junior years. Marek at center isn’t ideal, unless he starts putting on weight. But I guess if Sidibe is able to man the middle for 30 minutes, those options aren’t the worst. I really want to see us go after Carrigan if we do not get Stewart or Wahab.

Thanks for that very interesting anecdotal history. I was following the Rice recruitment at the time but didn't know those details. And, our football Coach was dying to get Rice to come and play DB. Promised him he had a better shot at the NFL than the NBA, as I recall.

I think in the end it all worked out for the best for everyone. I heard that JB really liked King Rice and thought it was the best for him at UNC and Sherm at SU. I agree - can’t imagine those years without Sherman.

I thought JBA is more of a developmental big who won’t be a contributor until his sophomore or junior years.
developmental doesn't have to mean "not ready to see the court."
in jba's case, i think it means he gets to have time to reach his peak without pressure because he'll have boo ahead of him for a year or two, plus whomever else we might bring in

I think its safe to say Syracuse isn't his first choice. The thought and hope is he buys into JB saying w "he will be like Carmelo and bring a championship to us" One thing i notice, he rarely associates himself with Syracuse in interviews. Its always "they" or Boehiem says or thinks etc etc. With Mich St he says alot of "we" or "players i will". Kinda interesting if not concerning. I here Andre Jackson is in his ear to sign with Syracuse alot. I guess that means we will get AJ in next years class.
Where did you here the Andre Jackson thing from? He is my favorite kid in the entire 2020 class. He is perfect of us. We got Quincy who was my favorite kid this cycle so while Stewart is amazing I think he goes to MSU.

Washington Husky fan here, had to dig up the old log in from when I created it to ask you guys about Hop when we landed him.

First off, thank you so much for Hop. Great coach.

Thoughts here in Seattle are that he really likes our program. Apparently he is really close with Naz Carter. Sounds like a three team race between Cuse, Washington and MSU. We badly need him or McDaniels for next season as we could possibly lose our top four scorers from this season.

Btw gl on the season, you guys are loaded. How cool would it be to see a UW-Cuse matchup in March. Battle of the 2-3 zones hah. Game would probably be lucky to break 100 total points. Also kudos to Boeheim on the spark notes on our upset over Kansas.
Naz Carter and Stewart played on City Rocks together. Along with Buddy Boeheim and JG3 who are both at cuse next year. He is also had Hop as a lead recruiting going back to the start of his recruitment. I know that his visit went well and he really liked UW having never been out there.

Good stuff

developmental doesn't have to mean "not ready to see the court."
in jba's case, i think it means he gets to have time to reach his peak without pressure because he'll have boo ahead of him for a year or two, plus whomever else we might bring in
I like JBA as a developmental big but I don't think the idea is he will be a starter or playing big minutes until he is a jr/sr

This is why we need to land more Stewarts. If jb is stuck with the nba iso train we might as well recruit and sign nba iso talent.

Sigh

What big time players in our own back yard have we lost in hoop?
would you consider Huerter backyard and big time? (I may have spelled his name wrong, kid from Clifton Park who went in the draft last year)

would you consider Huerter backyard and big time? (I may have spelled his name wrong, kid from Clifton Park who went in the draft last year)
yes. But that was a ship thing. We didn't know we were going to get one back when he gave the thumbs up to Maryland. If we would have had that ship, I think he goes to the Cuse

yes. But that was a ship thing. We didn't know we were going to get one back when he gave the thumbs up to Maryland. If we would have had that ship, I think he goes to the Cuse
thank you, forgot about that situation.

And you continue to recruit over if possible. Gotta keep acquiring top talent.
Be careful. I have the exact same assessment of JBA and some people jumped on me in that post. "If the coaches like him i trust them he will beca starter, who are you to question the coaches, JBA is going to start year 2 and be big time etc etc etc". But again i honestly dont even see him being a starter ever at Syracuse unless he makes a dramatic improvement. I see him as Chino 2.0 without the muscles but with a suspect 3 point shot

Be careful. I have the exact same assessment of JBA and some people jumped on me in that post. "If the coaches like him i trust them he will beca starter, who are you to question the coaches, JBA is going to start year 2 and be big time etc etc etc". But again i honestly dont even see him being a starter ever at Syracuse unless he makes a dramatic improvement. I see him as Chino 2.0 without the muscles but with a suspect 3 point shot

The reason people tell you that is that your opinion is flat out wrong in this case.

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat it, doesn't make it true.

That's why people jump on what you've posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.