Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
UW might be decent but the PAC12 sucks. It is an inferior conference to the ACC and Big 10 or 12 for basketball. He simply won’t get the attention or notoriety he would receive if he played at Washington vs Duke/MSU. I follow college b-ball regularly and didn’t even know who the hell Faulk was until he got drafted. That could make me a little incompetent as a fan however it also proves my point-nobody really cares about the PAC-12 and most eyeballs are on the bigger conferences. Again this is all my opinion and based on what I feel is actually occurring.

I’m not trying to make a case that the Pac-12 is better than the other power conferences, because it isn’t. And obviously UW isn’t Cuse or MSU, but big time players do sign with non power teams. Happens all the time. WKU just got a 5-star this season and they are a mid major.

I’m not trying to make a case that the Pac-12 is better than the other power conferences, because it isn’t. And obviously UW isn’t Cuse or MSU, but big time players do sign with non power teams. Happens all the time. WKU just got a 5-star this season and they are a mid major.
You do know why he went to WKU, right??? Bad example

Nobody knows where he will end up. He has relationships with players and coaches at all of the schools. If he chooses Cuse it is because he wants to stay near family. UW will be due to relationship with Hop and Carter. He can go to any of the schools and be a one and done lottery pick.

You do know why he went to WKU, right??? Bad example

All I’m saying is that not every five star player goes to the big name school. Fultz went to UW and got drafted first, so your theory is wrong about going to the Pac-12 and not getting attention. In fact, Pac-12 has had the #1 pick back to back years. NBA scouts don’t care how many times you play on ESPN or how great your team was.

UW might be decent but the PAC12 sucks. It is an inferior conference to the ACC and Big 10 or 12 for basketball. He simply won’t get the attention or notoriety he would receive if he played at Washington vs Duke/MSU. I follow college b-ball regularly and didn’t even know who the hell Faulk was until he got drafted. That could make me a little incompetent as a fan however it also proves my point-nobody really cares about the PAC-12 and most eyeballs are on the bigger conferences. Again this is all my opinion and based on what I feel is actually occurring.
Is the Pac12 worse than whatever conference UConn is in?
Not sure he wouldn't get as much attention at Washington, being THE dude, as he would being one of 7 five-stars at Duke. The Porter kid got drafted out of a nowhere school, and with an injury. As mentioned before, markelle fulz. Lonzo Ball was in the Pac12... It's not a dead-end destination. Scouts will be aware of him where ever he goes because he's a top-ranked high schooler and will be a McD kid. He'd get more minutes and touches at W than at Duke.

If he goes to Washington, he will never be seen. No one watches PAC 12 games. The east coast is long gone to sleep. He will have no national following.

What year do you think this is? If the NBA scouts found Andrew Bogut to make him a #1 overall pick, I am sure they will "find" Stewart. They are probably already dissecting every one of his games.

i don't put it out of the question that he ends up there, but if he does, it won't be because he likes the city of seattle. it will be nearly 100% because of prior relationships with hop & carter

I love when people act like 19 year olds use the same standards for choosing where they’re going to play basketball for 6 months as 30 year olds do when they’re choosing where they’re going to settle down and live.

Great hiking trails, dog parks, and economy! Great coffee shops. And the lake! What a scenic view!

i find it hard to believe that his washington interest is any more than his syracuse interest - more politeness than actual interest. i have long assumed that he would end up at msu . . . but seeing the way the hype machine is working for zion, making him one of the rare stars that the nation knows by a single name, that must have a big influence on zay. especially knowing that he'll be zion's immediate heir.

i now think he ends up at duke. but wth do i know?
It really is crazy the hype Zion gets on espn.

I was not talking about NBA scouts. I’m referring to east coast media and college fans.

Exactly...If only one had to pass a reading comprehension test here prior to posting...what a wonderful world it would be. :)

Of course NBA scouts will know about him if he goes to UW, just as they already know about him now as a Top 5 prep. These kids today are all about them, their brand, etc., evident by their narcissism and attention seeking behavior. Go to UW...ESPN can market you by saying get your DVR's out for tonight's late night match-up between Washington and USC, UW has this stellar frosh hoopster that America just has to see. :)

I mean I haven’t seen a player like Zion in my
Lifetime playing college the way he does. He’s a monster

I was not talking about NBA scouts. I’m referring to east coast media and college fans.
What cares about them. He is going to college from August to April, because he has to, to get the job he wants in June. Where he goes to college has ZERO impact on that outcome. NONE! NADA! ZILCH!
You are trying to come up with an argument to fit your desired outcome of why he should go to Syracuse. Stop.
And are you saying east coast college fans, or any college fans, because I am pretty sure that the PAC 12 has college basketball fans. Also, how many west coast college fans watch weekday 7:00 PM east coast college games. Not ones with jobs or kids doing after school activities.

What cares about them. He is going to college from August to April, because he has to, to get the job he wants in June. Where he goes to college has ZERO impact on that outcome. NONE! NADA! ZILCH!
You are trying to come up with an argument to fit your desired outcome of why he should go to Syracuse. Stop.
And are you saying east coast college fans, or any college fans, because I am pretty sure that the PAC 12 has college basketball fans. Also, how many west coast college fans watch weekday 7:00 PM east coast college games. Not ones with jobs or kids doing after school activities.
Stevie Thompson--that's how he was recruited.

It really is crazy the hype Zion gets on espn.
I mean, the kid is insanely good. His stat lines are impressive, and I was just reading (non espn) that his efficiency as of right now is 10 percent better than the highest player last year.

Usually how this works is the media hypes up somebody for a while then they turn on him. Once he has a couple bad games the headlines will be, what's wrong at Duke.

If you got talent, the NBA will find you no matter where you are playing. Murray State is going to send a top 5 pick in this years upcoming draft. The idea that playing for a big time team helps your draft status is false.

If you got talent, the NBA will find you no matter where you are playing. Murray State is going to send a top 5 pick in this years upcoming draft. The idea that playing for a big time team helps your draft status is false.

imho, this is poor logic. your fact only proves that it is not necessary to play for a big time team to get drafted. however, doing so could still help your draft status, even if it is not necessary to getting drafted. one could argue it helps only slightly in some cases or not at all in others, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ever help.

some reasons why playing at a big time program could help include:

1. a player is surrounded by other better players which helps to reduce some of the defensive pressure. a player then performs better during a game, increasing his draft value
2. a player get more exposure due to playing bigger games that are more heavily scouted. also, more opportunity to prove draft worthiness.
3. a player plays against better competition in practice and gets better coaching in practice, which makes the player improve at a faster pace. in turn, the player is more nba ready or simply just better

playing for a blue chip program isn't dispositive and there are exceptions as you mentioned, but your post is flawed logically overall.

Last edited:
imho, this is poor logic. your fact only proves that it is not necessary to play for a big time team to get drafted. however, doing so could still help your draft status, even if it is not necessary to getting drafted. one could argue it helps only slightly in some cases or not at all in others, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ever help.

some reasons why playing at a big time program could help include:

1. a player is surrounded by other better players which helps to reduce some of the defensive pressure. a player then performs better during a game, increasing his draft value
2. a player get more exposure due to playing bigger games that are more heavily scouted. also, more opportunity to prove draft worthiness.
3. a player plays against better competition in practice and gets better coaching in practice, which makes the player improve at a faster pace. in turn, the player is more nba ready or simply just better

playing for a blue chip program isn't dispositive and there are exceptions as you mentioned, but your post is flawed logically overall.
So, you would have told Girard and Stewart to go to Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Gonzaga, etc., ahead of Syracuse.
However, a player surrounded by lesser talent that makes all the players around him better, and leads his team to a deep NCAA run. Much better resume.
In fact (much different sport and recruiting position than IS) one of my son's coaches said he would catch the eye of MLS teams much easier leading a lesser squad to the NCAA than being a goalkeeper for a perennial power soccer team.

Big time players will always get on scouts radars regardless. The presumptive third pick in this years draft is playing at Murray state
Matt Morgan at gd Cornell might go ahead of anyone from SU this year

Status
Not open for further replies.