Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 129 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, we’re just ahead of the curve. Positionless basketball. Shooting guards at point, Forwards playing Center and switch on everything, errrr wait a minute...

We’d be all set if we still got guys that could do everything like Billy Owens and Derrick Coleman.

Because recruits and their parents should be smart enough to know that it’s about personnel. When teams have big men who are good enough to post up or play in the paint, Syracuse has always given them the ball and gotten them touches. It’s only been a few years since we had one of those dominant big men (Rak). And we even did it with DaJuan but he was hampered by injury. Speaking of Stewart, when he was growing up in Rochester, we had AO and Rick Jackson and Fab, and I thought his family are Cuse fans.
Should be smart enough. But, I would think recruits and parents are watching current games, and would be less inclined to review 'archival game film' from years past. Maybe you could tell me how our recruiters tackle that. Do we send kids dvds showing them specifics and schemes and approaches that are appropriate for that kid? Is a 2019-20 recruit getting film of Onuaku and Rick the Ruler? How far do they go back? I think fairly recently, someone said they had never heard of DC. If we can't demonstrate an interest in a post game now, i hope our media guys are teaming with recruiters to produce attractive video packages.

Agreed.

Given our Canadian recruiting pipeline success, wondering why we might not have had a chat with this guy?

Jaden Bediako, Canada, Center (BK)

Relatively close by (from Toronto suburbs)...

Looks like he committed to Santa Clara last month.

Maybe we did speak with him or didn't think he was a good fit or whatever the myriad of other reasons why we might have passed...

But agreed, we could use some depth.
6'10" 230? He's too fat for the zone.

IMO, much of the struggles in recent years can be chalked up to two factors: First, we had lots of players leave earlier than expected, which created year-to-year transitional discontinuity. Imagine having Ennis and / or Grant in 2015, or McCullough for 2016, or Malachi for 2017. Or Lydon last year. In no way do I begrudge their decision to leave, I'm just suggesting that we might not have been in this seeming cycle of perpetually starting over every year if things had worked out a bit differently if one or more of those players had decided to stick around a little bit longer.

Second, we couldn't build any depth due to the NCAA penalties / scholarship restrictions. This has been discussed a lot, no need to delve further into things here. But suffice it to say, being down 4 or 3 scholarships -- ~25% of a normal roster, really hurt.
Imo you are missing whats right in front of your face. Since move to ACC recruiting has been a whole new ballgame. SU has been like a fish out of water since going to ACC. Stewart is not a great sign. Neither is the fact that our last 2 best recruits (Battle, Baz) we had to steal both away from other schools. And of course one of those guys bolted. We shall see

Imo you are missing whats right in front of your face. Since move to ACC recruiting has been a whole new ballgame. SU has been like a fish out of water since going to ACC. Stewart is not a great sign. Neither is the fact that our last 2 best recruits (Battle, Baz) we had to steal both away from other schools. And of course one of those guys bolted. We shall see

I disagree -- what's right in front of our face is that our time in the ACC corresponds to the span of time we got hammered with unprecedentedly harsh NCAA penalties and scholarship restrictions. THAT's what has killed us -- not just being in the ACC.

Our struggles these past few years are directly correlated to the NCAA penalties doing what they were intended to do -- hamstring and cripple our program.

Maybe, but it’s not real accurate to lean on numbers and ignore mentioning that two of our best recruits in those years were from Canada and thus not taken into account. Not sure if he accounted for Marek either, but not going back to check.

But just throwing out numbers like “189” or whatever isn’t really saying anything due to the foreign factor.

If a Canadian recuit is good enough they will get enough recruiting exposure to be on the radar for schools and be ranked accordingly (and there are plenty of examples of that). It's not like either played in Siberia. Just saying. The spin that somehow both guys are top 10 guys but aren't because they are from right across the border is one I can't get with. Again, I'm not saying either are not good recruits, but neither are at the level of the recruit we just lost to Washington out of high school.

If a Canadian recuit is good enough they will get enough recruiting exposure to be on the radar for schools and be ranked accordingly. It's not like either played in Siberia. Just saying.

According to what others posted, as far as rankings go that is false.

Brissett and Guerrier were certainly on plenty of schools radars. That’s kind of the point. They were/are pretty big recruits.

Brissett and Guerrier were certainly on plenty of schools radars. That’s kind of the point. They were/are pretty big recruits.

Cory Joseph and Michael Bennett (both top 10-15 guys according to US recruiting sites, amomg other Canadian players) dispels that myth and the spin to somehow paint the narrative we are still recruiting and landing (and retaining) top 25ish recruits when we currently aren't.

I don't disagree that they were great recruits, but they weren't blue chippers like Stewart, that's all I'm trying to point out - yet there is a narrative that somehow they are.

Cory Joseph and Michael Bennett (both top 10-15 guys according to US recruiting sites, amomg other Canadian players) dispels that myth and the spin to somehow paint the narrative we are still recruiting and landing (and retaining) top 25ish recruits when we currently aren't.

Myth? One service having them top 50 and the others not even ranking them at all...and you’re willing to take that info and be like “yup, he’s the 189th best recruit” or whatever? Ok, then...

Are you talking about Anthony Bennett? Its an apples/oranges comparison as both those guys played at Findlay Prep.

Are you talking about Anthony Bennett? Its an apples/oranges comparison as both those guys played at Findlay Prep.

It's really not when you consider both our recruits also played in the US, had exposure and received offers from schools here. It's not like the blue bloods of the world didn't know about them and failed to offer them just because they were from Canada. I'm not saying these guys aren't good recruits - neither is a top 25ish recruit however people want to spin it and we don't seem to be landing THOSE kind of recuits right now - for whatever reason.

I don't disagree that they were great recruits, but they weren't blue chippers like Stewart, that's all I'm trying to point out - yet there is a narrative that somehow they are.

I don’t think anyone is saying they’re like Stewart.

They’re probably on par with guys like Ennis, Malachi, Scoop, Joseph, etc. though, or close to it.

I don’t think anyone is saying they’re like Stewart.

They’re probably on par with guys like Ennis, Malachi, Scoop, Joseph, etc. though, or close to it.

I don't disagree with that. I'd say they are solid top 100 guys. I was responding to the notion they were recruits on par with Stewart.

Didn't Brissett play at Findlay Prep also?

Oh yeah...like every week people complained about Hop not doing something right

1548106096048.jpeg

;):)

I don't believe the game has passed Boeheim by but the top echelon players don't seem to want play for him. From the outside looking in he certainly doesn't connect with the players and for a school with a rich basketball history, we should be nabbing at least a Top 15 kid every year or two and not land a Top 50 kid only when he came up the ranks after he committed to us. I believe JB does more with less but recruiting is not a strong point and it is getting frustrated. No matter how good a coach you are, the players on the court usually determine your fate more than anything else.
JB used to do more with less. Now he does less with more.

JB used to do more with less. Now he does less with more.

Please provide some examples to back that up. This ought to be good.

Half the board is arguing that our recruiting sucks and we don't pull decent players anymore and you come in the back door arguing he's doing less with more.

Half the board is arguing that our recruiting sucks and we don't pull decent players anymore and you come in the back door arguing he's doing less with more.
Lots of ppl are saying player development is poor. I agree. Igor used to call it getting Boeheimed. He was right. Carey is a great example...kid can obviously play but he's gotten worse. So has OB. So has Sidibe. And until the last couple of games so has Chuk. Go back a few years...McCullough got worse. The soph jump is dead.

Lots of ppl are saying player development is poor. I agree. Igor used to call it getting Boeheimed. He was right. Carey is a great example...kid can obviously play but he's gotten worse. So has OB. So has Sidibe. And until the last couple of games so has Chuk. Go back a few years...McCullough got worse. The soph jump is dead.

Well, McCullough tore his ACL and missed half the season. He was in the NBA for his soph year.

Status
Not open for further replies.