Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you see.

I don't think this team will be "good", unless they get around 6 pts, 3 assts and 1 steal out of Symir as the third guard.

Benny is going to have to give us at least 8 points and around 5 rebounds a game. Both of those guys need to shoot at least 33-35% from three, and hit at least 70% of their FTs.

One of the centers is going to have to emerge and give us around 8 pts, 8 reb and a couple blocks. One of the other centers is going to have to find another 5 pts and 5 reb, then we will be fine at center.

I think Swider is good for 10+, so is Joe. Hopefully both shoot 35%+. I hope Swider can grab around 6 rebounds, and I hope Joe G can produce 5 assists and under 3 TOs per game.

I think Jimmy is going to be a guy who is a utility man, and probably gives us 6-8 points, and hopefully 4 or 5 rebounds a game. Hopefully he can also hit around 35% from three.

So that's seven guys who could be contributors, and reasonable expectations for them to make meaningful contributions to the team; not video game numbers, but somewhat realistic in that they are achievable.

Now, not all 7 of these guys are going to hit those targets. But if 5 of them do - plus I didn't even talk about Buddy - and we should be alright.

If 6 or 7 of those guys can give us that kind of production, this will be potentially a very good team, depending on our perimeter defense, and whether anticipation & coaching can overcome lack of foot speed on the perimeter.
I think if we only get 8 per game from Benny that we will be in trouble. He has the talent to be our second option and needs to deliver 12 to 15 ppg if we are to get off the bubble.

I think if we only get 8 per game from Benny that we will be in trouble. He has the talent to be our second option and needs to deliver 12 to 15 ppg if we are to get off the bubble.

I get what you're saying, but not every freshman meets lofty expectations. Plus we have Swider and Jimmy looking for points up front. I think we'll get more than 30 points per game (closer to 35-40) among the 3 of them.

Let's hope Taylor improves his shooting over what he did at Peach Jam. He looks more like Tyus Battle or Brandon Triche than Buddy Boeheim.
AAU stats can be very misleading due to the erratic playing style of those games. Shooters often prefer sets where they can come off screens & play through a system. Taylor will thrive in Boeheims spacing; guys like Maliq Brown are essential in making that system go.

I get what you're saying, but not every freshman meets lofty expectations. Plus we have Swider and Jimmy looking for points up front. I think we'll get more than 30 points per game (closer to 35-40) among the 3 of them.
A Five Star recruit will have high expectations, I get that the fan base sometimes expects too much from a three or four star recruit, but especially on our squad, where Benny is the only Five Star, I do not feel expecting 12 to 15 is unreasonable.

AAU stats can be very misleading due to the erratic playing style of those games. Shooters often prefer sets where they can come off screens & play through a system. Taylor will thrive in Boeheims spacing; guys like Maliq Brown are essential in making that system go.

I know, I have been following AAU for years. Personally I think Taylor is more of a get to the basket and shoot from the mid range type 2 guard. I would like more shooting in this class. It's why I think if we don't get JJ we need to get a wing shooter. You can't be competitive if you can't make 3's in this era of basketball.

I like Brown as a player, but like the rest of our signees I wouldn't quantify shooting as a strength for him.

I know, I have been following AAU for years. Personally I think Taylor is more of a get to the basket and shoot from the mid range type 2 guard. I would like more shooting in this class. It's why I think if we don't get JJ we need to get a wing shooter. You can't be competitive if you can't make 3's in this era of basketball.

I like Brown as a player, but like the rest of our signees I wouldn't quantify shooting as a strength for him.
I respectfully disagree. Taylor is a shooter that has expanded his game by improving his handle and strength so that he can drive to the basket to compliment his outside shot.

A Five Star recruit will have high expectations, I get that the fan base sometimes expects too much from a three or four star recruit, but especially on our squad, where Benny is the only Five Star, I do not feel expecting 12 to 15 is unreasonable.

I agree. Those are the kinds of numbers a 5 star usually produces for us. But with Swider and Jimmy also at forward, Benny might not see 36 minutes a game to achieve that scoring average.

I was trying to say, "if these guys all meet these numbers", and then tried to set very achievable targets. If Benny fails to meet 8 points - even as a freshman who may only play 25 minutes a game - that's a red flag.

He SHOULD at least get that many. I did the same thing all through the lineup. And if all 7 of those guys (excluding Buddy, who I didn't talk about) meet those achievable goals, then this could be a very good team. The question will be if we have enough athleticism to hold our own on the boards and play decent defense on the perimeter of the zone.

I agree. Those are the kinds of numbers a 5 star usually produces for us. But with Swider and Jimmy also at forward, Benny might not see 36 minutes a game to achieve that scoring average.

I was trying to say, "if these guys all meet these numbers", and then tried to set very achievable targets. If Benny fails to meet 8 points - even as a freshman who may only play 25 minutes a game - that's a red flag.

He SHOULD at least get that many. I did the same thing all through the lineup. And if all 7 of those guys (excluding Buddy, who I didn't talk about) meet those achievable goals, then this could be a very good team. The question will be if we have enough athleticism to hold our own on the boards and play decent defense on the perimeter of the zone.
I thought your original post was good except for the Benny comment, I even went back and gave you a like. As a presumed starter, I would expect Benny to get 30 minutes plus, hopefully not as many as 36. If he gets minutes in that range, I stand by my expectation for him. If he doesn’t, that means he has disappointed.

I agree with your logic about achievable goals for most players, but if we are ever to get off of that infernal bubble, we need to expect a couple of players to excel, and to me, the most likely candidates are buddy and Benny.

I thought your original post was good except for the Benny comment, I even went back and gave you a like. As a presumed starter, I would expect Benny to get 30 minutes plus, hopefully not as many as 36. If he gets minutes in that range, I stand by my expectation for him. If he doesn’t, that means he has disappointed.

I agree with your logic about achievable goals for most players, but if we are ever to get off of that infernal bubble, we need to expect a couple of players to excel, and to me, the most likely candidates are buddy and Benny.

No argument from me. Benny should be good for double figures.

I just hope that if Benny and Swider are as good as we hope, that doesn't mean that Jimmy becomes our default center. If we play some small ball, then sure, play Jimmy as a stretch 5 who can also get into the lane.

But if that means Jimmy is the new Marek, and Edwards and Anselem don't play much again this season, I don't think we will get close to our ceiling, because Jimmy isn't going to cut it at the 5 against ACC competition.

And Dad is going to find a way to get him minutes; this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for JB.

No argument from me. Benny should be good for double figures.

I just hope that if Benny and Swider are as good as we hope, that doesn't mean that Jimmy becomes our default center. If we play some small ball, then sure, play Jimmy as a stretch 5 who can also get into the lane.

But if that means Jimmy is the new Marek, and Edwards and Anselem don't play much again this season, I don't think we will get close to our ceiling, because Jimmy isn't going to cut it at the 5 against ACC competition.

And Dad is going to find a way to get him minutes; this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for JB.
I still don’t understand why people think Jimmy is going to be playing the 5 this year. He’s about the 4th or 5th option at center.

This weekend:

Not sure if it’s been noted yet but I think we have Justin and his mom to thank for getting Maliq up here for a visit. He and she seem to have continued to give him lots of attention even after they split up on AAU and living far apart. I love that Justin has been one of our biggest assets since his committment.

I still don’t understand why people think Jimmy is going to be playing the 5 this year. He’s about the 4th or 5th option at center.
You will be surprised... Boeheim likes to score points and play his sons 39+ ... You are going to see it

You will be surprised... Boeheim likes to score points and play his sons 39+ ... You are going to see it
Jim Boeheim... The coach that yanks kids after one small defensive hiccup every game? I wholly disagree about that take. Our style of play is usually predicated upon good defense before good offense. I think we’ve had to adjust our scheme in recent years, because our defense hasn’t been up to usual standards...which maybe has changed our philosophy a little bit, but I think coach still values defense over offense on most days.

Also I mean he’s only coached one of his sons to this point and Buddy has been our best guard for the last two years...so I’m curious who you personally would have given minutes to over Buddy?

I think it’s no secret that as of recent JB tends to rely on his star players with the lion share of minutes, but I think that’s more a testament to the guys who have been filled out on the roster the last few seasons, than JB playing favorites because he wants to play his son in the lineup.

One thing that doesn’t get talked about much with Buddy is how few mental errors he makes in games and if there’s one coach who rewards players for not making mental errors and benches kids for making those errors it’s JAB.
eg. Alan Griffin end of season last year lol

Also, now that we have 2 or 3 formidable big man options for the middle of the zone, which is a key for our teams overall success and which we haven’t had for many years now, we should only have a need to play Jimmy in the middle in situational lineups, opposed to larger stretch’s of the game.

Jim Boeheim... The coach that yanks kids after one small defensive hiccup every game? I wholly disagree about that take. Our style of play is usually predicated upon good defense before good offense. I think we’ve had to adjust our scheme in recent years, because our defense hasn’t been up to usual standards...which maybe has changed our philosophy a little bit, but I think coach still values defense over offense on most days.

Also I mean he’s only coached one of his sons to this point and Buddy has been our best guard for the last two years...so I’m curious who you personally would have given minutes to over Buddy?

I think it’s no secret that as of recent JB tends to rely on his star players with the lion share of minutes, but I think that’s more a testament to the guys who have been filled out on the roster the last few seasons, than JB playing favorites because he wants to play his son in the lineup.

One thing that doesn’t get talked about much with Buddy is how few mental errors he makes in games and if there’s one coach who rewards players for not making mental errors and benches kids for making those errors it’s JAB.
Numbers wise our defensive FG % was good last year. The lack of defensive rebounding really hurt.

Too many people have Benny 1 and done. Let him play his first year and then yet him decide. Don’t make an assumption before he even plays his first game. He still has to show that he can play. In addition, he was instrumental in bring JT to the CUSE. I think that he wants to play a season with his friends.

Unless Benny grows into a man's body faster than anticipated, he should be around for two years.

Some players have a "grown man's body" coming out of high school; some need another year or two to fill out.

Time will tell

I'm not saying whether he should/will play some minutes in the middle. Still, he is only an inch shorter but 10-15 lbs heavier than our actual centers. That's right; Jimmy is heavier than all 4 of our centers and last year everyone we played in the middle got pushed around pretty regularly. He probably has better offensive skills than one or two of them at this point as well. I completely agree that he would be the 4th option but conceivably as high as the 3rd depending upon how a couple of guys enter the season.

The main reason we wouldn't ever expect to see him in the middle is that we only go 3-deep at the forward rotations (unless Chaz makes a big leap).

We have enough bodies so that it is unlikely that we will ever need him in the middle. Nice to have the insurance for a worst case scenario however.

I'm not saying whether he should/will play some minutes in the middle. Still, he is only an inch shorter but 10-15 lbs heavier than our actual centers. That's right; Jimmy is heavier than all 4 of our centers and last year everyone we played in the middle got pushed around pretty regularly. He probably has better offensive skills than one or two of them at this point as well. I completely agree that he would be the 4th option but conceivably as high as the 3rd depending upon how a couple of guys enter the season.

The main reason we wouldn't ever expect to see him in the middle is that we only go 3-deep at the forward rotations (unless Chaz makes a big leap).

We have enough bodies so that it is unlikely that we will ever need him in the middle. Nice to have the insurance for a worst case scenario however.
Jimmy may get put in the middle at times. I mean hes 6'10 235

Jimmy may get put in the middle at times. I mean hes 6'10 235
6'9" 225lbs actually. Still, that makes him 15 lbs heavier than Frank, 10 heavier than Jesse and Jon Bol, and 7-8 heavier than Bourama. I see it as an "in an emergency, break this glass" situation but he has the size to make him an option if it ever came down to it (or if a few guys were unexpectedly slow/injured coming out of the gate this year).

Again though, we only have three real bodies at the forward positions (barring Chaz) so I would expect all of them to be kept fresh instead of squandering them at a position where we (theoretically) have depth.

Great news. Love his game. This is a great class. Staff is killing it.

I'm not one to be pessimistic generally, but If this is the best we can do for forwards this year I find it highly, highly disappointing. You would think with the potential openings we have in the front court (we may not have a single returning forward) that we could have locked in a top 50 forward, or maybe two - if we were back to our old days of recruiting. I mean how hard of a sell job can it be when you look at how bare the front court may be next year. Yes he's got some potential, but we should be locking in stud forwards with the playing time we could offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom