Class of 2022 - PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PF Maliq Brown (VA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s wanted Cuse for awhile now. After his last visit it was a wrap. He’ll be good here. Like I said, probably won’t even be a star or the “go to” guy here. But he fits our system and what we ask our fowards to do very well. I’m happy with this. This class may not be as “highly ranked” as everyone was originally hoping but all these dudes can play. They are all very big, long and athletic for their positions as well which is nice to get back too. On top of that an underrated part of this class is each of their skill sets seem to compliment each other’s games VERY well. There are no “one and dones” in this class, they will all be around 3-4 years which is huge for a program now a days and I think these guys know they’ll be around that long and not expecting to be “one and dones”. I like this class even though we had some misses

That has typically been our recipe for success too. Add some big-time guys as you can get them but have a solid roster of good players that are your base and guys who are reliable pieces.

He’s wanted Cuse for awhile now. After his last visit it was a wrap. He’ll be good here. Like I said, probably won’t even be a star or the “go to” guy here. But he fits our system and what we ask our fowards to do very well. I’m happy with this. This class may not be as “highly ranked” as everyone was originally hoping but all these dudes can play. They are all very big, long and athletic for their positions as well which is nice to get back too. On top of that an underrated part of this class is each of their skill sets seem to compliment each other’s games VERY well. There are no “one and dones” in this class, they will all be around 3-4 years which is huge for a program now a days and I think these guys know they’ll be around that long and not expecting to be “one and dones”. I like this class even though we had some misses
It’s a far cry from the “Dior/Chance/Cruz/Lands/Clingan” class that 12 months ago we were pursing. But like I said earlier, with the transfer portal being such a huge factor now, this core that we have lined up (and Bunch) really all molds perfectly together and we can find complimentary pieces in the portal. While none of these guys are Dior, it’s easy to see a path that if we develop these kids right, you could Quadir or JT ( or both) being stars. And the best thing is they’ll be around for a while.

Someone said it earlier - but I love that VaTech offered this kid. He looks to me exactly like those VaTech tough, strong SOBs who get every rebound near them. Brown and Carey both are great athletes and rim runners - add that to a distributor like Quadir and a shooter/finisher like JT and that’s a well rounded squad.

That has typically been our recipe for success too. Add some big-time guys as you can get them but have a solid roster of good players that are your base and guys who are reliable pieces.
So funny you posted this, I was just thinking the same thing. Is this recruiting class actually more in line with our real recruiting ceiling? Leading right into what you described and why we always had success, one of these guys always stepped up when it was their turn, and we always have someone who develops into a diamond. Other the a few classes that were really high, I think this is actually more in line with our normal recruiting results, maybe a little higher.

It’s a far cry from the “Dior/Chance/Cruz/Lands/Clingan” class that 12 months ago we were pursing. But like I said earlier, with the transfer portal being such a huge factor now, this core that we have lined up (and Bunch) really all molds perfectly together and we can find complimentary pieces in the portal. While none of these guys are Dior, it’s easy to see a path that if we develop these kids right, you could Quadir or JT ( or both) being stars. And the best thing is they’ll be around for a while.

Someone said it earlier - but I love that VaTech offered this kid. He looks to me exactly like those VaTech tough, strong SOBs who get every rebound near them. Brown and Carey both are great athletes and rim runners - add that to a distributor like Quadir and a shooter/finisher like JT and that’s a well rounded squad.
Dior Johnson, Zion Cruz, Chance Westry, Kamari Lands and Donovan Clingan.
Or better stated:
Proven Headcase/immaturity, stability issues (4 schools in 3 years), stability issues (3 schools in 4 years and suspected handler issues), stability issues (3 schools in 4years and how can I profit the most) and finally a player recruit that has no perceived baggage issues.

we may have missed opportunities or we may have dodged the bullet with the four of the above recruits.

I am happy with the recruits that we have so far and would be satisfied if they are the only recruits we get this recruiting class.

Dior Johnson, Zion Cruz, Chance Westry, Kamari Lands and Donovan Clingan.
Or better stated:
Proven Headcase, stability issues (4 schools in 3 years), stability issues (3 schools in 4 years and suspected handler issues), stability issues (3 schools in 4years and how can I profit the most) and finally a player recruit that has no perceived baggage issues.

we may have missed opportunities or we may have dodged the bullet with the above recruits.
Real talk, probably a little of both...

Just curious... What kinda dog is that in your profile pic?

The problem is they need to stick around long enough to develop. Just look at what happened to program players last year.
They will stay for coach G

Loving this recruiting class. After all of the drama (and the night is still young). The staff killed it and a few of these kids if not all will be playing with a chip on their shoulder as the quote unquote experts devalue coach and the boys every year for what seems to be a decade now.

We will prevail with hungry kids like this group. Welcome, Maliq! Attack the paint and the rest will follow.

Plays a little below the rim for his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Rick Jackson. Actually think his style is a little different than we usually seek at the 4. But like others have said, he’s a great piece to the puzzle. Love that he’s a high energy guy…

Plays a little below the rim for his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Rick Jackson. Actually think his style is a little different than we usually seek at the 4. But like others have said, he’s a great piece to the puzzle. Love that he’s a high energy guy…
I agree. He isn’t a great athlete, but he isn’t bad either. I like the Rick Jackson comparison, for that reason. But, he has a lot of work to do before coming close to Rick’s low post moves.

Coach GMac reveled in another one...
Screenshot_20211016-173301_Chrome.jpg

Brown was 185 last year and filled in nicely to 210 today. I expect he will be around 225 or 230 by the end of next summer. He is not going to be a string bean.

I think we can look forward to stronger rebounding team that is a lot harder to score against inside over the next few years.
A Rick Jackson type who we haven't had in a while. The type who will score a bit, rebound and play defense.

Rick Jackson is a good comparison. Maybe a tad more hops and mobility than Jackson but not quite the array of moves around the bucket at the same point in their development.

Jackson’s low post game as a frosh wasn’t much. Hope this young man develops as well.

It's interesting Brown speaks to development into a stretch 4. Obviously that's the modern PF today but definitely a deviation from being RJ 2.0

I like the length, size, and intangibles. I agree he is not an explosive athlete... at all. His rebounding numbers in HS are not impressive. What he does bring to the table that I find most intriguing is his court awareness, anticipation, and BBIQ. Things you can't teach. He reminds me a little of Marek in that regard (not in playing style).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom