Class of 2018 - PF Simi Shittu (CN) to Vanderbilt | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Simi Shittu (CN) to Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt is listed as the favorite to land him now (picked up a bunch of votes on the meth ball today). With the strength of our class, unless there is a big red flag we don't know about) it's ludicrous not to reach back out. Without him we have a top 10 class. Add him, and we're stacked!

In fact, if we landed Shittu the class calculator would have us the new #1!

We have 37 forwards. Oshae and Bazley will dominate.

Yes we have a few forwards. But if we'd take Roberts, we certainly have room for Shittu who is unquestionably better.
Shittu is a beast. He could play the middle, if we needed him to. Shittu/Baz/Brissett is a crazy back line. Long, athletic and skilled.

Shittu is a beast. He could play the middle, if we needed him to. Shittu/Baz/Brissett is a crazy back line. Long, athletic and skilled.

I was also thinking that his top two choices are Vandy (which is a joke) and UNC. They could be hit with sanctions. Why not try. Who wouldn't want to play with two other 5 star guys in the ACC in front of 35K fans? We can beat out Vandy and UNC!!!

Simi also just cancelled his visit to Arizona.

I'm already satisfied with this recruiting class, but the game has changed. When Simi eliminated SU we did not have a top 10 recruiting class, and the scandal had not been made public. Please, make another push!!!

Simi also just cancelled his visit to Arizona.

I'm already satisfied with this recruiting class, but the game has changed. When Simi eliminated SU we did not have a top 10 recruiting class, and the scandal had not been made public. Please, make another push!!!
You’re getting me so excited over something that most likely won’t happen but you make a lot of good points.

Dont think this will happen.

Dont think this will happen.

I don't think it will either, but for many reasons, we are foolish not to try. Maybe we have or will be, and it's not public. Maybe there's a red flag I don't know about. But if not, we lose NOTHING by trying. The answer is always no if you don't ask. Just sayin'. ;)

I don't think it will either, but for many reasons, we are foolish not to try. Maybe we have or will be, and it's not public. Maybe there's a red flag I don't know about. But if not, we lose NOTHING by trying. The answer is always no if you don't ask. Just sayin'. ;)
I like your enthusiasm, for sure. It can't hurt. He'll, we could call him up and say come for a visit just because we're the 'Cuse!

Whether with Shittu or some other player, if we lose out on Roberts it changes the approach / focus that the staff might have on the recruiting trail this spring.

If we're able to lock up Roberts to fill that big man role this fall, then disco. If not, then I'm sure that they'll kick some other tires.

Whether with Shittu or some other player, if we lose out on Roberts it changes the approach / focus that the staff might have on the recruiting trail this spring.

If we're able to lock up Roberts to fill that big man role this fall, then disco. If not, then I'm sure that they'll kick some other tires.

I just think settling on Nate or a grad transfer when there may yet be a play for Simi seems to be selling ourselves short.

If we get Nate I'll be very happy. If we don't, we still have a top ten class, and I'm still happy. I just think we shouldn't stop aiming high, while we're on a roll.

We can agree to disagree. It's all good :)

I like your enthusiasm, for sure. It can't hurt. He'll, we could call him up and say come for a visit just because we're the 'Cuse!

How about come for a visit because we're better than Vandy, UNC could be in trouble and you can play in front of 35k fans with two other top 40 recruits. Sounds pretty good to me ;)

I just think settling on Nate or a grad transfer when there may yet be a play for Simi seems to be selling ourselves short.

If we get Nate I'll be very happy. If we don't, we still have a top ten class, and I'm still happy. I just think we shouldn't stop aiming high, while we're on a roll.

We can agree to disagree. It's all good :)

Who's disagreeing with that? I think that Roberts is a fine prospect because [1] he's still growing, and has had a recent 2-3 inch growth spurt, and [2] he is a gazelle who runs effortlessly. Unheralded or not, he's got some really nice athletic capabilities / tools to work with. If we can land him, then that would be a nice capper on a very impressive class.

If we don't land him, then it opens up a lot of possibilities. Many of which aren't clear at the moment -- just like Dolezaj, Thorpe, etc. weren't on the fanbase's radar a year ago at this time.

Our best teams seem to have difference making forwards. It remains to be seen how things work out, but Bazely and Brisset in particular, and Dolezaj have immense upside. And Moyer isn't a slouch, either.

We can afford to get bigs who are complimentary players around that foundational forward quartet, provided they fit the system. That isn't selling ourselves short.

Not happening.
Whats the story with his recruitment? Why didn't Syracuse continue to pursue him? I thought he liked us, even after Hop left. His top contenders are underwhelming. I thought we backed off him because we assumed UK would "bag" him.

Whats the story with his recruitment? Why didn't Syracuse continue to pursue him? I thought he liked us, even after Hop left. His top contenders are underwhelming. I thought we backed off him because we assumed UK would "bag" him.
Well...a few months ago I was hearing he was all but sold on Book and UA. UK had an outside go at it but has backed away in the last few...um...

Does no one else find it weird that Vandy is involved for Shittu, Romeo Langford, Darius Garland and Zion Williamson at the moment?

Like Fran Fraschilla said - when you see non-traditional, non-powerhouse programs all of a sudden getting a lot of love from 5* recruits, it's not too hard to connect the dots...

Things that make you go, hmmm??...

Does no one else find it weird that Vandy is involved for Shittu, Romeo Langford, Darius Garland and Zion Williamson at the moment?
Look at the last name of Vandy's head coach and that might tell you something.

Like Fran Fraschilla said - when you see non-traditional, non-powerhouse programs all of a sudden getting a lot of love from 5* recruits, it's not too hard to connect the dots...

Things that make you go, hmmm??...

Could be hard work by the coaches but even if Vandy were to land one of those guys, it would be there first five-star since?
Look at the last name of Vandy's head coach and that might tell you something.

Of course .. wink, wink... nothing to see here.

Just curious and serious question, how do you know the staff hasn't tried? These posts are always funny to me as if anyone on the board knows all the inner workings of the staff and their recruiting board.

No because of the language edit on this board. Imagine typing Shat for two for Su

Just curious and serious question, how do you know the staff hasn't tried? These posts are always funny to me as if anyone on the board knows all the inner workings of the staff and their recruiting board.

I didn't say that SU hadn't tried to reach back out to Simi. I hope they have. I think I implied it would be foolish not to try. In the other thread (if we don't get Nate) I asked if there were other extenuating circumstances or red flags that would prevent us from reconsidering him.

That said, I'm not at all thrilled with Majak.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom